Power Steering Pump

Anybody got a write up they can post to R&R a PS pump on a 02 Z/28 ?

No one ?

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Its very easy I just did mine a couple weeks ago.. you going to need a pulley puller.... first thing first your going to take the belt off take the ps pulley then use the pulley puller to take the pulley off of the pump that will give you acces to the four bolts that are holding it onto the bracket undue those bolts there is a line that is held on by a clamp on the right side (when you are facing it) and on the left side the pressure line is threded into the ps pump i cant remember what size it is take that off in thats it then hook everything the same way you took it off very simple if you have any question let me know...

thanks bro ..

SILVER
    1998 Z28

No problem let me know how it goes if you do it...

never did this yet, anyone have clear directions ?

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

z28natem pretty much described the whole process. Is there anything specific you would like clarification on? I did mine last month so I can probably answer any questions you might have.

Black
    98 Z28 Vert

My steering effort is pretty hard since I got the car. At first I thought it was due to the bald 275's up front, but after putting new tires on it did not get any better. The pump does have a little bit of whine right now, but no leaks anywhere. The fluid level is correct but it is a little dark. I figured I would just change is out for peace of mind...

I have a question about removing the pulley. I have the standard 3 jaw type puller and was wondering if that will work.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40970

I want to make sure I have the right puller before I start the job.

I was thinking I would take the pulley off after I took the pump off, but if it's in the way of the bolts then there goes that idea.

What other parts do you have to remove to get the PS pump off? It looks like the radiator hose and fan assembly are in the way...

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Boat View Post
    My steering effort is pretty hard since I got the car. At first I thought it was due to the bald 275's up front, but after putting new tires on it did not get any better. The pump does have a little bit of whine right now, but no leaks anywhere. The fluid level is correct but it is a little dark. I figured I would just change is out for peace of mind...

I have a question about removing the pulley. I have the standard 3 jaw type puller and was wondering if that will work.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40970

I want to make sure I have the right puller before I start the job.

I was thinking I would take the pulley off after I took the pump off, but if it's in the way of the bolts then there goes that idea.

What other parts do you have to remove to get the PS pump off? It looks like the radiator hose and fan assembly are in the way...
    I used this to remove the pulley.

Also, I rented the kit from AutoZone but it was crap. I couldn't get the pulley onto the new pump with it since the thread on the installation tool was worn too much. So I took it back and went to O'reilly and rented one from them and it was waaaaaaaay better. I should have gotten it to begin with.

The kit I got from O'reilly looked like this:

To answer your question about things that would need to be removed all I took off was from the bellow to the air lid. As well as the piece that the lid mounts too. This helped with the amount of space you have to work in. The radiator hose doesn't need to be removed as you can just push it down out of the way. Also you will need to remove the pulley before you take off the pump.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Make SURE you use a pump that's for your make/model, otherwise if you use a Generic pump you'll wipe out the bushing, from improper belt loading direction.
    Using a 3 jaw pulley puller on a P/S pump will bend the pulley.
    Use the correct puller like WultDat is showing, or a U-Groove solid puller (which I prefer better than the collet type)
    When you replace the pump, fill it up with fluid to the full cold mark, lift the front end of the vehicle up, then turn the wheel full left to full right a few times to purge the air out.
    Then start it up. Let it run for a few mins, then re-check your fluid. Take it for a 10 min or so normal driving run, and then double check your fluid.
    Don't overfill, otherwise you'll have a Crispy Camaro.

Black
    98 Z28 Vert

I already got the Cardone 20849 pump. I guess I'll head to Harbor Freight tomorrow and pick up one of those puller kits...

After popping the hood it became obvious that my puller wouldn't work...

I siphoned out the old fluid and it's pretty much dark brown...

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Best thing to do is flush the fluid. Get about 3 quarts of fluid. Have a friend help you. Take the return line off the reservoir, cap the reservoir side, and then pour while somebody starts the car. Put the other end in a 1 gallon waste container and flush till the fluid starts coming out clean.

Shut the car off, replace the hose onto the reservoir, make sure your clamp is good and not bent, then you should be good to go.
    Wipe up any excess fluid on any other parts of the motor, especially the manifolds, if you get any on. (Highly flammable in high quantities)

This does 2 things.
    1. Bleeds out any air
    2. Flushes the fluid out.

Hope this helps
    C

Thread Information