Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

Camshaft and Heads

Im doing some research to try and find out what the best cam and head setup would be. I've got a 2002 Z28 M6, Im going to have Pacesetter LT's and Texasspeed True Duals. Its my Daily driver too. Any suggestions at all would help me out!! also, if someone could explain all the numbers associated w/cams and heads...sorry, noob here! also, what setup should i start off with---lt's and tsp true duals w/either a new cam and heads or lid and FAST 90mm intake manifold w/90mm TB? again, thanks for any suggestions!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by wantaLS1 View Post
    Im doing some research to try and find out what the best cam and head setup would be. I've got a 2002 Z28 M6, Im going to have Pacesetter LT's and Texasspeed True Duals. Its my Daily driver too. Any suggestions at all would help me out!! also, if someone could explain all the numbers associated w/cams and heads...sorry, noob here! also, what setup should i start off with---lt's and tsp true duals w/either a new cam and heads or lid and FAST 90mm intake manifold w/90mm TB? again, thanks for any suggestions!
    That's a big difference between the two choices. Obviously a head and cam swap with get the most power but you're talking about a decent price gap there. Make sure you pick a good cam if it's your DD

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

I know there will be a price difference, and i want to do both...eventually. I just want to know which would be better to do first. Im thinking itll be better to get the 90/90 first, just wanted someone elses opinion on that, also on what type of cam for a dd

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

maybe ill get a cam and not upgrade the heads...seen as though its a dd i dont want a REALLY BIG cam...maybe a cam and then the 90/90

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I would suggest get the exhaust done first. This will give you a nice boost, which will be cheaper, and give you time to learn about cams and heads. H/C are a bit more complicated to pick out then exhaust. My best advice is to continue on your current track and just read and talk about it as much as you can. I know when I picking out my cam I read through hundreds of old threads.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you already have an LS6 intake so I would do the other mods before the intake. Depending on your budget it would be nice to have the cam and exhaust at a minimum. Keep in mind if you do a cam you'll need to do springs and pushrods. I would also swap out the oil pump and timing chain at the same time.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Normally people start off with the basics.. Lid, SFC's, Headers/cat back... at least that's what I did..

I actually asked the same question, about what to do first and I was told doing the FAST 90/90 and the heads/cam at the same time would be the easiest way, if you can be patient and wait for the money for everything.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Normally people start off with the basics.. Lid, SFC's, Headers/cat back... at least that's what I did..

I actually asked the same question, about what to do first and I was told doing the FAST 90/90 and the heads/cam at the same time would be the easiest way, if you can be patient and wait for the money for everything.
    your timeframe was close though, he doesn't really give a timeframe so it sounds like a one or the other deal. Sure, if it's a close timeframe I would wait and do every bit of it at the same time. It's when you start having to pick and choose which mods to do first. I generally look at if you're gonna be doing any work twice and cut down on that as much as possible.
    Such as if he does a cam this time he'll have to do springs and pushrods. If he does heads later they'll come with springs so that's money wasted IMO. He could order heads minus the springs but just a pain in the ass, now you're doing springs twice. I would keep the heads/cam together but if money doesn't allow you to do that and you're having to pick mods I would do the exhaust and cam before the intake. There's a bunch of options and none of them are really wrong, just have to try and save yourself work and money.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks for the advice. I was thinking about saving around $1000-$1500 and getting a LID, headers TSP true duals, then a tune...maybe ill stick with that first....then go from there. what do you think id be running w/those mods?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your timeframe was close though, he doesn't really give a timeframe so it sounds like a one or the other deal. Sure, if it's a close timeframe I would wait and do every bit of it at the same time. It's when you start having to pick and choose which mods to do first. I generally look at if you're gonna be doing any work twice and cut down on that as much as possible.
    Such as if he does a cam this time he'll have to do springs and pushrods. If he does heads later they'll come with springs so that's money wasted IMO. He could order heads minus the springs but just a pain in the ass, now you're doing springs twice. I would keep the heads/cam together but if money doesn't allow you to do that and you're having to pick mods I would do the exhaust and cam before the intake. There's a bunch of options and none of them are really wrong, just have to try and save yourself work and money.
    Oh ok, I thought he was saying he'd be doing them within a certain amount of time and wanted to know which one would be best to do first.. I'd say at least get the heads/cam at the same time.. right?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Oh and don't forget a good set of SFC's... I got some UMI ones for around $150.. They're a must have and help maintain the integrity of the chassis

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah it all adds up so fast! i was just thinking how im going to need some better/wider tires too....then thinking about upgrading the wheels...man this is not cheap!! haha

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

M-ten, what mods do you have, and what numbers are you at?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

lol no it's definetly not cheap.. not only upgrades but then when stuff starts breaking and going wrong ... but it's fun

Well... right now I have SLP Lid, UMI 2-Point weld in SFC's, QTP LT headers, custom 2.5" true duals over the axle, magnaflow mufflers, FTRA intake kit, and LS7 Clutch kit.. within the next month or two I'll be getting a heads/cam package and the 90 mm FAST intake/NW throttle body combo also...

As far as the cam goes I'll be getting the 228R 112 LSA, and heads -- still researching/learning about them, but so far I'm looking at the stage 2 ls6 heads.. not sure which brand.

IDK what numbers I'm looking at right now.. I definetly need a tune though, cars running a little funny at idle, i'm assuming it's because my whole exhaust was changed out and the computer needs to be adjusted.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Also, remember that if you're going to get wider/stickier tires, you're gonna have to worry about your rear end.. I'm kind of waiting on changing out my tires until I get some more money to upgrade the rear.. Hopefully it will last at least until I can get my intake, tb, heads, and cam lol..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's the main reason I did the rear before the heads/cam. I didn't want to get stranded somewhere because of the rear. My posi was already acting funny. Heads/cam were the last thing I did.

black
    1999 camaro z-28

If you're serious about the heads and cam I have had friends in the same situation as you do research on the heads, find out which ones they want, and then have their cams custom-ground. If you do choose to go this route, make sure you do everything else first, because a cam to address all of your needs has to be designed around everything you currently have matched up inderneath the hood and what type of driving you're talking about doing (i.e. street only, street-strip, strip only).

I would do this: Long tubes--> True duals--> Rear-end (depending on your choice of type of driving)--> Heads--> Custom camshaft.

This way, you can do the project in two steps and enjoy each one along the way (long tubes, true duals and rear-end should give you an affordable and enjoyable jump in power. Save up and do heads and cam and all of the accessories everyone forgets).

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

That is a good idea, something to think about..

How does the custom cam work?

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

I would honestly call Texas Speed and have this conversation with them they are way more knowledgeable on what to do with there own products...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Here is there info for you...
    Address:
    Texas Speed & Performance, LTD.
    329 East HWY 62/82
    Wolfforth, TX 79382
    806-866-0734

Hours:
    M-F 9:30am-6:00pm CT.

E-Mail:

Jon Reynolds -Sales