Thread: New gasket?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

New gasket?

Ok, I'm prepping for porting my throttle body (and possibly the MAF if I get the nerve). Will I need a new gasket for either, or are they reusable (rubber type)?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well the MAF has no gasket and the TB should be OK.
    I'd leave tha MAF alone! And if you do not know what your doing...I'd leave the TB alone also....what is it your trying to do. .....gain a few ponies? I'd send my TB out to be done ......you can fuck your car up real good messing with those two components friend.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I appreciate the advice Sarge, but I've worked for GE Aircraft Engines doing port and polish work on military and commercial turbine blades for 10 years. I've also gasket matched, ported, polished, and cced intakes and heads many times, as I have built several Chevy engines. I feel very confident about porting the throttle body, although this is my first non carbed vehicle. I don't intend to do any massive porting, just easing the angle of entry where the angled edge is to help the airflow straighten out. I'm a big fan of gasket matching, porting and polishing.

The MAF makes me nervous due to the sensitivity of the sensors. I wasn't going to attempt the MAF port at first because I didn't want to risk something hitting one of the delicate sensors. After getting into it a bit and seeing it up close, I have considered it. I didn't realize it has a screen before it to protect it from debris that gets past the filter. I worry about the strength of the wires and the sensor without the support of the metal behind it that some people cut out. I'll probably just blend what's there, removing any sharp edges and polishing it up a bit. I can't see much gain beyond that anyway.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the MAF ends come off of the sensor. so, no worry on hurting the wires as they won't be anywhere near the ends when you disassemble it. you'll notice four torx head bolts. take those out and the two ends come off the sensor. the wires are held one by three metal bars with a common link in the middle. here's a pic of what it'll look like once you cut the divider out from one of our sponsers granetelli

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here's my dyno results from the wife's car. swapped the stock ends for the vinci polymer ported MAF ends.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

That's a reasonable gain. It stands to reason that there would be a power gain from straightening out the airflow. I would imagine the gain would multiply with other mods (especially balanced with exhaust). Every little bit adds up at the rear wheels.

I'm still weighing it all out. I'm going to start on the throttle body this weekend, and see how much time I've got left...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

car had VHP airlid, bassani headers, bassani cats, and borla exhaust.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Throttle Body does have a o-ring and the m.a.f. you aren't going to gain unless your doing other mods at the same time. I work at a machine shop and I've seen ALOT of dumb ass kids bring in thrittle bodys and mafs that they heve ported through wanted to get tig welded or epoxyed up. So do be careful.

Thread Information