Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Stock Crankshaft Strength

Just trying to get a good idea of what people are pushing their stock cranks to. I've really been trying to narrow down what I want to do to my stock bottom end before I go purchasing heads and a D1-SC procharger. I've been thinking about getting lower compression forged pistons and some forged rods. Now, I would really like to make over 600rwhp, so now my question is Can the stock crank handle that? If not for the $ I may as well skip the whole bottom end and just save up for a 408 shortblock assembly. I don't feel like putting a $3,500 or so stock cube rotating assembly or even a 383 kit in it. If I'm going to bigger cubes I want 400+ cubic inches. Sorry if this post is vague , but trying to get others views and experience before I go and get rods and pistons and skip the crank and find out I was a complete idiot for not just doing everything.
    Mods as of now on the engine are G5x4, lt's, FAST 90/90,ory, underdrive,85mm maf, lid.
    I was just considering using my stock bottom end for now and just go ahead and run the TFS heads with a D1-sc. I just thought if I could save the bottom end from flying apart I may as well strengthen it.
    Any input is appreciated in advance!!
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock crank is solid.
    It is the rods and pistons that can cause problems.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

But for 600 rwhp? I would trust the stock crank... for alittle while. I wouldnt skip the last piece of the "chain" IF I was building the engine.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    But for 600 rwhp? I would trust the stock crank... for alittle while. I wouldnt skip the last piece of the "chain" IF I was building the engine.
    I understand what you're getting at. I was thinking the same thing, just if I found out that the stock crank is plenty strong I would consider leaving it. This is kind of a tough decision, because 1. I could test my luck out and leave the whole bottom end stock. 2. For the $ of a stroker kit, I may as well just save a couple more $'s up for a 408 shortblock or something from LME. Trying not to jeopordize myself. End up going with heads and the procharger and 2 months later the bottom end decides its had enough.

BLUE
    2000 SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    With 600 hp you will not break it. There have many that have lived under 1000 rwhp, 600 will not hurt it.

There has never been a documented case of a stock LS1 crank breaking from too much hp.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FASTSS View Post
    With 600 hp you will not break it. There have many that have lived under 1000 rwhp, 600 will not hurt it.

There has never been a documented case of a stock LS1 crank breaking from too much hp.
    That's what I thought. I believe I saw something on TV one time, and they had a program on GM's LS engine family, and I thought they said something about the stock cranks being very strong up to 900hp capabilities. But that was a while ago that I saw that. If you look in that book on "How to build LS1/LS6 engines" it says that the if you're looking to make more than 550hp then a different crank should be considered. I thought they underrated the stock crank at that power level.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by FASTSS View Post

Well, I guess I agree with you. I dont have any info of stock cranks breaking ethier. I just think, if your gonna get 3/4 of the reciprocating assembly forged and bullet proof, why not get the last piece. But no doubt, there are many, many guys and girls s/c on stock cranks for sure. I agree wit hothers for now, Your young, got a nice car and solid engine. If I was in your shoes I would probaly do the same thing. Good luck ethier way

Old LS1.com member bluethunder2's Avatar

NBM
    1999 Trans AM

Stock crank will be fine for over 600hp. I'm over that with nitrous. Your blower won't hit near as hard as my nitrous does. You should be just fine.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Thanks everyone, hopefully more people keep posting up what they have experienced with stock cranks.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Like I said before, thanks for the input from everyone, but I decided to call it quits with the motor for now. The car runs pretty solid the way it is with stock heads. I think my only upcoming engine mods are gonna be better pushrods and more than likely Harland Sharp rockers. I didn't think my taxes were going to be as bad as they were this year so it kinda pulled the plug on any plans on modding the motor.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i split my crank in half before i had anything with the acception of free mods done to my car... i got luck and it spun around and caught again enough so that i could drive home from the track... worst freakin ride EVER...

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

I wonder how that happend. Sorry to hear that, I think that would be enough to pretty much ruin anyones day.

Thread Information