Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    02 firebird

nws v6 firebird supercharged......2002?..............long title....................

has anyone tried putting a supercharger from a grand prix onto a v6 firebird...if so how??
    Last edited by larryndog; 09-05-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

ive thought about doing that, i have to figure it out to.

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

it wont bolt up to the f-body heads!!! but thinkin bout it ya might look into puttin the heads and the supercharger from the GTP onto the bird. but im not sure so dont take my word on it.

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

yea

i have looked into it... custom intake.. wont fit under hood... all sorts of problems... if you got the supplies tim e and money yea.... but remember stock they only give you 30 HP more... modded you can only get about 70 more..... get nos instead HELL of a lot cheaper easier... but yea it would be cool... i cant remember his name but someone on here did it... name started with an m.......but he had a lot of custom shit done.. not worth your time or money... (buy an ls1 imo)

black
    96 v6 firebird

with alot of money and modifications it can be done but its cheaper and easier to do a motor swap

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by crushedout View Post
    with alot of money and modifications it can be done but its cheaper and easier to do a motor swap
    Lol, no way. I don't know if you've ever done the swap, but it ain't like it used to be! There's no reason that anyone should ever bother making a V6 to LS1 swap, short of a blown motor and a ton of cash to spend. If you want to jump into the LS1 realm, a new car is the only way to go; on the other hand, there's a lot of room to work with the 3.8, and several companies do sell turbo and supercharger kits for them, just do a search.

The GTP supercharger is problematic because of the general setup. It can be done, but requires a cut cowl, higher hood, proper heads, and a bit of fabrication, definitely not the easiest way to go.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i have looked into it... custom intake.. wont fit under hood... all sorts of problems... if you got the supplies tim e and money yea.... but remember stock they only give you 30 HP more... modded you can only get about 70 more..... get nos instead HELL of a lot cheaper easier... but yea it would be cool... i cant remember his name but someone on here did it... name started with an m.......but he had a lot of custom shit done.. not worth your time or money... (buy an ls1 imo)

So many things wrong with this post.

First, it WILL fit under the hood. It has about the same clearance as a stock FBody manifold.

Second, there aren't "all sorts" of problems. The custom intake is the only major one. You can just swap in a complete L67, and be done with it. There aren't any more problems associated with this swap, than there are in any other major modifying of a car.

Also, where are you getting the modded HP number from? The number of fast GTPs out there will disagree that modding will only net you 70hp.

Not true. Swapping to a V8 is more in depth and costly than most people realize. It's one of the few things that almost everyone agrees on: if you want a V8, just buy one.... swapping is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post

It can be done, but requires a cut cowl, higher hood
    Totally incorrect. As i said above, the blower fits under the stock hood and cowl perfectly. There are no clearance issues there.

Here's proof from the only L67 swapped FBody:

Last edited by Teufel Hunden; 09-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

So i can be done?

Silver
    2002 Z28

lol.... so it doesn't need to have a cut cowl or raised hood, just a different motor? Really? That's supposed to help?

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

lol.... so it doesn't need to have a cut cowl or raised hood, just a different motor? Really? That's supposed to help?
    I think it helps a bit more than the inaccurate info from people who have no idea what this swap takes. Sorry i'm actually posting factual information, instead of just guessing, like you were. No need to get all sarcastic with me just because you don't know what you're talking about.

But to answer your question, no you don't need a different motor. but you need to use the L67 heads anyway, AND you have to work the new pulley into your serpentine system.
    Last edited by Teufel Hunden; 09-16-2007 at 06:34 PM.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

so swapping a v8 isnt worth it, but swapping another v6 is worth it?

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    Who cares? This thread is about what it would take to get an M90 in an FBody. The only 'worth' i commented on was when crushedout said it's cheaper and easier to do a V8 swap, when in fact it isn't.

red
    95 Z28

Feel free to NOT post in this thread again.

black
    96 v6 firebird

Lol, no way. I don't know if you've ever done the swap, but it ain't like it used to be! There's no reason that anyone should ever bother making a V6 to LS1 swap, short of a blown motor and a ton of cash to spend. If you want to jump into the LS1 realm, a new car is the only way to go; on the other hand, there's a lot of room to work with the 3.8, and several companies do sell turbo and supercharger kits for them, just do a search.

The GTP supercharger is problematic because of the general setup. It can be done, but requires a cut cowl, higher hood, proper heads, and a bit of fabrication, definitely not the easiest way to go.

I totally agree with you but I was just stating an awnser for the questin he asked about the GP supercharger bolting up to an F-body motor, not any other superchargers out there. Then you list all the obvious modifiactions that need to be done because it won't bolt right up. And the other ones out there, they too include fabrications of parts. There was one company that was making them a few years back but they ran into legal issues and quit making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    So many things wrong with this post.

First, it WILL fit under the hood. It has about the same clearance as a stock FBody manifold.

Second, there aren't "all sorts" of problems. The custom intake is the only major one. You can just swap in a complete L67, and be done with it. There aren't any more problems associated with this swap, than there are in any other major modifying of a car.

Also, where are you getting the modded HP number from? The number of fast GTPs out there will disagree that modding will only net you 70hp.

Not true. Swapping to a V8 is more in depth and costly than most people realize. It's one of the few things that almost everyone agrees on: if you want a V8, just buy one.... swapping is not worth it.

Totally incorrect. As i said above, the blower fits under the stock hood and cowl perfectly. There are no clearance issues there.
    Once again he wasn't asking about swapping a GP motor but just the blower bolting on. I was just making a simple reference on swapping a V8. If your talking about swapping in a motor then I don't know if it will fit or not, obviously by the pics it will but I was just awnsering what I believed his original question was

Quote Originally Posted by larryndog View Post
    has anyone tried putting a supercharger from a grand prix onto a v6 firebird...if so how??
    I read this question as just supercharger onto a firebird motor. If I miss read the post them I'm sorry and went wrong way with my awnser.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Who cares? This thread is about what it would take to get an M90 in an FBody. The only 'worth' i commented on was when crushedout said it's cheaper and easier to do a V8 swap, when in fact it isn't.
    I guess "worth" is up to the individual and there is no need to debate that. I beleive diffrent but thats neither here nor there.

I think in the end we will all agree that a GP supercharger will not "just" bolt up to a stock firebird motor. Right?

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Once again he wasn't asking about swapping a GP motor but just the blower bolting on. I was just making a simple reference on swapping a V8. If your talking about swapping in a motor then I don't know if it will fit or not, obviously by the pics it will but I was just awnsering what I believed his original question was
    He said how do you get it into a V6 firebird. Rather than just saying it won't bolt up to the stock motor, i got into what it actually would take to do it. So many people just guess what this would take, or make it up as they go along, i don't see anything wrong with putting out factual info. It's by no means the easiest thing to do in the world, but everyone doesn't have to think that you have to notch your cowl, your glass, get a 6" hood, chop up your firewall... and whatever other BS gets spewed all over this subject.

I guess "worth" is up to the individual and there is no need to debate that. I beleive diffrent but thats neither here nor there.

I think in the end we will all agree that a GP supercharger will not "just" bolt up to a stock firebird motor. Right?
    Don't read too much into that particular word, on my part. The only thing i disagreed with in your original post was the cheaper and easier V8 swap part. When you get into it, it's not very cheap, and requires a ton of "upgrading" to V8 parts.. K-member, all three wiring harnesses, tranny... etc. It's quite a long list.

But we can absolutely agree that an M90 won't just bolt onto an L36.
    Last edited by Teufel Hunden; 09-17-2007 at 06:37 AM.

black
    96 v6 firebird

Thats cool, I wasn't trying to start anything but was just explaining what it was that I meant by what I had said and why I said it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Feel free to NOT post in this thread again.
    what? if u didnt notice, i was just asking if thats what people were saying, cuz i was confused

what? if u didnt notice, i was just asking if thats what people were saying, cuz i was confused
    I actually laughed out loud when I saw your "car" under your location/avatar... 2 feet..white

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Myka View Post
    I actually laughed out loud when I saw your "car" under your location/avatar... 2 feet..white
    finally someone laughed.
    no 1 has found it funny yet, or even commented on it lol

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

finally someone laughed.
    no 1 has found it funny yet, or even commented on it lol
    i thought it was funny just never said anything, btw how come you only got 1.5 hp. i think im pushing at the VERY LEAST 2 hp

Thread Information