impulse blue
    04 GTO

first post on LS1(already have ?s about exhaust)

Well this is my first post here. My name is LaVIente' and i am from Omaha,NE, but i am stationed in Fort Worth,TX. I just traded in my riced out sebring for an 04 GTO, because i got tired of getting beat off the line buy the U.P.S trucks The problem I have witht the stock exhaust, is that it is too mellow. I want to do something to make it "mean"sounding. I plan on getting the spintech side exit cat back, but I dont think that alone will sound mean enough. I have heard glass packs, but then the muffler shop guy said its an "irritating" loud, not an "aggressive loud. So I need serious oh yea, dont worry about it being inspected, because i am going back to NE

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

glass packs sound like shit IMO. Get a CB and see how ya like it. ls1s sound pretty good with a CB. Long tube headers will also make it louder. The muffler selection is very important as well. Just search around on GTO boards and see what the general consensus is.

Remove mufflers. put straight pipes. Sounds as good as a the SLP LM Exhaust.

impulse blue
    04 GTO

will the short headers and mid pipes with no cat sound good, or would it be "too loud"

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

dont get shorty's. get long tubes if anything

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Ah how I miss not having to get an inspection. Go with Long tubes, no cats, and a nice catback exhaust. Other than flowmaster. I like the Magnaflow exhaust on my buddys GTO.

Red
    2002 T/A Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by suaveamente
    . I just traded in my riced out sebring for an 04 GTO,
    hell yeah dude!

welcome!

Go with some longtubes along with a full aftermarket exhaust..

impulse blue
    04 GTO

lol. I love pulling up to riced out hondas now. I still have simpathy for my sebring/avenger drivers though,lol. but yea. I plan on buying this jba header and catless mid pipe combo for 800 bucks. Is it not worth it?? Would the shorties yield the same hp as stock??

impulse blue
    04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    Ah how I miss not having to get an inspection. Go with Long tubes, no cats, and a nice catback exhaust. Other than flowmaster. I like the Magnaflow exhaust on my buddys GTO.
    I really planned on going with the spintech side exit exhaust, mainly for the looks. someone also told me that getting a different camshat will make it sound more aggressive

impulse blue
    04 GTO

any answers??

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I just posted this on another reply but I thought that it applies here also. I would suggest a true dual exhaust system using the stock manifolds and with the catalytic convertors left in their original location, with both pipes going down the passangers side, over the axle (with mufflers located one on each side of the rear tub) and the pipes exiting out the rear in the stock location. You will get a great sound that is not real loud and if you use straight through, noise cancelling mufflers, you will pick up about 5 percent in horsepower (usually that is about 15 horses). Some will tell you that you really don't pick much additional power with duals, but I assure you that you do. With an exhaust system designed this way the system gives a straight through exhaust flow without the all the noise (stock quiet inside the car). Outside a legal, sweet sound of that LS1 making POWER. (That is if you put your foot down lightly on the gas paddle around town).
    JEB

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i have a magnaflow cb w/cme tips and at idle it's mellow, but when you get on it it's "TITS". i am about to order my headers soon. hooker long tubes w/ y pipe. i dont know if im gonna get hf cats yet.

i heard to stay away from slp headers if your car is lowered, cause they scrape. i have eibach springs and everyone says to stay away from slp headers.

green for meow
    '96 ws6 formula

whatever you do...

1. DO NOT DO GLASS PACKS... they are crap
    2. Do NOT put huge pipes on there

reason for #2... is this... ya want the exhaust gasses to flow as fast as possible through yer pipes... if ya have huge pipes and no muffs or any back pressure at all... then exhaust gasses start to tumble... and ya'll lose power...

Long tube headers are great... but if they arent in yer budget... short tubes are nice too...

and cat backs are easy installs... flowmaster, borla, bassani, etc etc, they're all good...

If you can get around emmisions with a private inspector or other ways ... lose the cats... they suck period...

another option for cats is to buy a mid pipe where the ctas are removable... so that before ya go to inspection ya put on the cats, and after ya leave ya pull em off...

Now... ya want a MEAN tone... as in muscle car/hot rod

Longtubes give a mean tone...
    an H-pipe gives a really mean tone (not sure if they make h-pipes for GTOs... go find out)
    any CAMBERED muffler will give an ol muscle car MEAN sound
    and a lopy cam will make a big difference as well as add power

good luck n have fun

impulse blue
    04 GTO

has any one heard the spintech side exit cat back??

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Don't get shorties unless it's to pass emissions in your state.....you'll only get 1/4 of the gains for around the same price tag.

Yes, depending on the specs of the cam it will sound more aggressive and it'll have a nice lope....but the main point of a bigger cam is the power increase.

Black
    98 Camaro Z28

I got a custom spintech exhaust on my car. I love the sound, nice low roar going through the gears. But as far as performance...... Im not to sure. Im currently looking to replace it.

black
    02 z28

GTO's come with true duals stock, go buy some headers and an xpipe and you'll be fine, getting an exhause will be costly with minimal gains...you will be buying it only for sound which is a waste of money.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Cool

Go get 2 Flowmaster 40's...they sound deep and loud.
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 07-06-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Thread Information