SStatus

Low coolent light is on for no reason

My coolent light comes on and stays on for five minutes just like it is supposed to when the coolent is low. So i check the coolent level and its fine. I even top it off just to see if it would change anything. Nothing happened, it still comes on. About three weeks ago i had my system flushed and refilled with dex-cool and I'm guessing that this has somthing to do with what is going on. Anyone ever run into this or have any ideas?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

There is a sensor that might be bad. Try changing that and see what happens.

Black
    2004 Grand Prix GTP

Common problem. The orange coolent will gunk up over time if not changed at the proper interval. You'll probably have to get the system flushed and change out that sensor. Another thing that happens when it starts to get like that is the heater core gets clogged. If you're not getting the heat you should, take off the heater core and back flush it to get the gunk out.

The low coolant sensors fail all the time, you can try taking it off and cleaning it, or just unplug it and the light will stay off permanently (think they're about $55 at the dealer if you want to replace it). Since you just had a flush they may not have gotten all the air out of the system - but if you've been checking it and the level is still OK, and no overheating problems probably just the sensor. It's on the passenger side of the radiator, about 4-5" below the radiator cap. GM did away with them on our cars starting in 2K.

Black
    2004 Grand Prix GTP

Go to www.shbox.com. I think there is a procedure there for removing and reinstalling the sensor.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The low coolant sensors fail all the time, you can try taking it off and cleaning it, or just unplug it and the light will stay off permanently (think they're about $55 at the dealer if you want to replace it). Since you just had a flush they may not have gotten all the air out of the system - but if you've been checking it and the level is still OK, and no overheating problems probably just the sensor. It's on the passenger side of the radiator, about 4-5" below the radiator cap. GM did away with them on our cars starting in 2K.
    I added some water wetter today and had to drain a pint of coolant to add the water wetter now I have the cooolant light not Turing off problem. I tried to unplug mine but the light stays on??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would start cheap and make sure there's no air in the system first.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would start cheap and make sure there's no air in the system first.
    Good idia. now fixed
    Last edited by skar; 07-25-2006 at 03:01 AM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

my friend has a lt1 and he just foundout today he has a bad sensor

Blue
    1999 Camero SS

I have this same problem right now with my Camero LS1 99 SS. I have flushed the system, replaced the sensor and made sure the fuilds are full, all is ok but the damn light keeps coming on after I start it.

I have noticed that sometimes after I drive the car for a while and get gets hot and I shut the motor down and turn it back on, the light will stay off.

Short??.. or could it be that the gunk is still stuck around the float in the raditor?

Red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by in4sit View Post
    I have this same problem right now with my Camero LS1 99 SS. I have flushed the system, replaced the sensor and made sure the fuilds are full, all is ok but the damn light keeps coming on after I start it.

I have noticed that sometimes after I drive the car for a while and get gets hot and I shut the motor down and turn it back on, the light will stay off.

Short??.. or could it be that the gunk is still stuck around the float in the raditor?
    Did you get a geuine GM or ACDelco sensor? I had an issue with two of them in a row from Oreilly. The light would still come on immediately after install. Installed an ACDelco, problem solved.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Those sensors really can be a pain. I've had some limited success in the past whapping them with a screwdriver.

Blue
    1999 Camero SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    Did you get a geuine GM or ACDelco sensor? I had an issue with two of them in a row from Oreilly. The light would still come on immediately after install. Installed an ACDelco, problem solved.
    Crap, well guess where I got mine..... Oreilly's, ok I will go out and get another one from AC.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

just unplugged mine when I was having this problem, zip tied it out of the way and left it. No more little red light now.

Red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    just unplugged mine when I was having this problem, zip tied it out of the way and left it. No more little red light now.
    Well, that is one solution to the light problem, but you're giving up early low coolant level detection by doing this.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

It is easy to check though, I probably would have changed the sensor if this was still my daily driver but it isnt. So I occasionally check it before I drive it.

Thread Information