U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Question Trans Go Tranny dump

Ok, My 02 T/A has 40k on it and lately when I'm stopped and leave the line a little hard, the tranny feels as if it's slipping but suddenly catches a gear, then takes off. It started doing his more and more. It shifted fine otherwise, just a little sluggish.

So, I order and install a Trans Go performance shift kit. After installing it, the car feels like total crap. It's slipping all the way through first and the 1-2 shift is kind of all mushed in together. It will not shift up under wide open throttle and if I leave the line under full throttle the car just bogs and hear this crazy vibrating sound from the tranny.

I figured the shift kit would help with line pressure, and that might solve my slippage I was having off the line. I think the tranny might have been ready to take a dump before I put the kit in and when I did, it pushed the tranny over the edge. I followed the shift kit install directions to a T. I don't think I made a mistake. I even watched the stupid video that came with it.

What do you guys think? Tranny fried or shift kit mishap? Maybe just bad timing? Out of adjustment?

Mag Red
    '98 C5

Could be a bad shift dolenoid, I would start with replacing those first and see what it does.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Are you reffering to the two electrical type relays that fit into the valve body? that plug into the harness?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Yes that is what he is referring to however a bad shift solenoid SHOULD throw a code but that also doesnt sound to me like a solenoid symptom. How the solenoids work is they each have an on and off position and depending on the combination of the 2 postions (4 total combos) then that would tell the transmisison which gear to be in. If you had a bad solenoid then your car would more likely be lacking a gear, hence it would take off in second or not have a second gear and so forth depending on which solenoid is stuck and what postion its stuck in.

So the reason I am saying it doesnt sound like a solenoid is that would not create a slipping transmission and you are saying that it does go through
    all the gears, just not how it should right?

Has your car thrown any codes? Have you checked your tranny fluid since you filled it to make sure its still full?

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Yeah I have checked the tranny fliud a number of times just to make sure. The car has not thrown any codes. I keep going through the install in my mind to see if I might have goofed or forgot something. I triple checked everything and just can't figure it out.

Mag Red
    '98 C5

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    Yes that is what he is referring to however a bad shift solenoid SHOULD throw a code but that also doesnt sound to me like a solenoid symptom. How the solenoids work is they each have an on and off position and depending on the combination of the 2 postions (4 total combos) then that would tell the transmisison which gear to be in. If you had a bad solenoid then your car would more likely be lacking a gear, hence it would take off in second or not have a second gear and so forth depending on which solenoid is stuck and what postion its stuck in.

So the reason I am saying it doesnt sound like a solenoid is that would not create a slipping transmission and you are saying that it does go through
    all the gears, just not how it should right?

Has your car thrown any codes? Have you checked your tranny fluid since you filled it to make sure its still full?
    Yes, shift solenoids will generally throw a code, but this happened to both my 2000 SS and my 2000 S10, both have 4L60E. My truck is the one that had the identical symptoms as what we're talking about. Hope this helps.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CODE4LS1 View Post
    Yes, shift solenoids will generally throw a code, but this happened to both my 2000 SS and my 2000 S10, both have 4L60E. My truck is the one that had the identical symptoms as what we're talking about. Hope this helps.
    Are these solenoids available through the Dealership?

Mag Red
    '98 C5

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    Yeah, I think I paid $40 for both of them, but prices may have increased a little bit.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CODE4LS1 View Post
    Yeah, I think I paid $40 for both of them, but prices may have increased a little bit.
    Ok just to clarify, these solenoids are the two that go into the same side of the valve body. They plug into the wire harness and have coil wire inside of them right?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    you can also get them through autozone or any local parts store. Its worth a try but I still think it would be easier to have the transmission put on a scanner and get a good diagnostic from a reputable transmission shop. I went through some transmission problems where the car just wouldnt shift into second at all, it would just skip over and go to third. When we did the scan it showed that the transmission tried to go into 2nd and then skipped over to 3rd. when you would cruise in third and manually downshifted into second it would still try and go into second but would basicly just free rev and it would not bite onto 2nd gear because my clutch pack was completely gone.

Mag Red
    '98 C5

Yeah, be careful though, one of them is spring loaded, and don't lose those clips.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Just got off of the phone with Tans Go and they are saying that the bands are too tight. He told me to take out the Servo, inspect it and remove one of the shims. If this didn't solve it the I have to remove the valve body and check the 1-2 shift valve.

Thread Information