2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Owned by the column lock tonight..

I was leaving Sears, cranked my car to leave, and I had the dreaded "column lock" problem.

I had to call a tow truck and they are going to drop it at a local Chevy dealer on Monday.

There is a recall on all affected models, and I would suggest that if any of you C5 owners have not taken your car in, do it.

Here is the info on the newest recall-

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=1312929&pp=20

1966 Corvette Coupe

is that what the noise is when i pull out my keys? that comes from the dash area...? i mean its not my door locks and i cant quite place what it would be...

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    is that what the noise is when i pull out my keys? that comes from the dash area...? i mean its not my door locks and i cant quite place what it would be...

I don't recall hearing any noise.

I just started my car, and I got this message across the display that said "REMOVE KEY, WAIT 10 SECONDS".

I was like WTF? The car was already started, and the steering wheel was locked. Then the message flashed "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK".

I turned it off, waited a little while, and stuck the key back in and started it.

The wheel was still locked and the display was flashing "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK".

From my research, if you own a 1997-2000 A4, or a 1997-2004 M6, then your chances of being owned by the column lock are pretty much 100%.

It will leave you stranded at some point.

There is a recall on all affected C5's.

Your's qualifies.

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

Just be aware that part of the dealer fix involves reflashing the PCM with new parameters.Any custom tuning that you may have will be lost by this.Many owners of affected models have installed colunm lock bypass kits to correct the problem without going to the Chevy dealer.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert
    Just be aware that part of the dealer fix involves reflashing the PCM with new parameters.Any custom tuning that you may have will be lost by this.Many owners of affected models have installed colunm lock bypass kits to correct the problem without going to the Chevy dealer.

I still have a stock tune.

If I'm reading the new recall right, they are now removing the actual locking mechanisim.

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

You should be OK with a stock tune.If possible,ask the tech who will be working on your car to verify what they do before leaving it.

Good Luck!

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

You should be OK with a stock tune.If possible,ask the tech who will be working on your car to verify what they do before leaving it.

Good Luck!

I just got off of the phone with them, the wrecker dropped it off this morning.

They are telling me that it was already serviced on a recall once, last June.

They are contacting GM to see what they are going to do about it, and I should get a call back this afternoon.

I'll find out then.

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

Unfortunately,yours is one of many column locks that were not fixed right the first time by GM dealerships during the recall campain.This is why the CLB kits have become widely used by frustrated owners.I would recommend that you install one,even after the dealer fix,for added safety and peace of mind.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Unfortunately,yours is one of many column locks that were not fixed right the first time by GM dealerships during the recall campain.This is why the CLB kits have become widely used by frustrated owners.I would recommend that you install one,even after the dealer fix,for added safety and peace of mind.

Hopefully they will just remove the locking mechanism completely. That would be the best outcome, IMO...

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

From the newest recall, #GMP06-029 - 05081 dated February 8, 2006-

CORRECTION:
    Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and U.S. vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

http://www.c5registry.com/Technical/GMP0g.htm

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

I was not aware of the revised procedure that actually removes the column lock plate.It looks like GM finally got it right this time!

1966 Corvette Coupe

i realize that you steering wheel not unlocking is a bad thing, and an even worse thing if it did it on the road, but your steering wheel not locking aint so wonderful either... i mean wont that make them easier to steal? and if i park on a hill i let it lock where if it were to roll it would just hopefully grab the curb... say good bye to that theory...

i mean im going by the chevy place today and gonna try to see when i can get in to have it fixed...

so what is the problem with it anyway? y does it just not unlock.... ohhh wait thats right you would actually have to put some effort into fixing the problem instead of just taking the part out that is messing up... sorry forgot about that...

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

I was not aware of the revised procedure that actually removes the column lock plate.It looks like GM finally got it right this time!
    No shit..

When mine locked up, the car would still move, which isn't supposed to happen.

Maybe that had something to do with the 1st recall.

It would suck to have it lock going down the road..

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

i realize that you steering wheel not unlocking is a bad thing, and an even worse thing if it did it on the road, but your steering wheel not locking aint so wonderful either... i mean wont that make them easier to steal? and if i park on a hill i let it lock where if it were to roll it would just hopefully grab the curb... say good bye to that theory...

i mean im going by the chevy place today and gonna try to see when i can get in to have it fixed...

so what is the problem with it anyway? y does it just not unlock.... ohhh wait thats right you would actually have to put some effort into fixing the problem instead of just taking the part out that is messing up... sorry forgot about that...
    Good points...

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Just talked to the dealer.

At first they told me that the recall had been perfromed, and that I would have to pay for this repair.

I interuppted his price quoting and gave him the new recall number, and then emailed him a copy.

Guess it pays to be informed...

They are going to fix it with the new recall.

Silver
    1999 Corvette

wow, this worries me. is there any way to know if it has been done?

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Vette LS-1
    wow, this worries me. is there any way to know if it has been done?

Assuming that your car applies, I doubt that it has the "new fix" which involves removing the locking mechanism alltogether.

The order just came out two months ago.

Light Metallic Pewter
    2000 Corvette Coupe

You are hearing the actuator engage............

Stu
    You pay for the tow?

You can just shut off the motor and shake the crap outta the wheel and it unlocks. I got the Thunder Racing CLB kit. Like 50 bucks and you'll never have another issue.

Black
    04 Z06

Vette LS1...Yes, when the dealership brings up your car by VIN, the list of recall / repairs will be available, just ask them to print it out for ya. They should, unless they are buttnecks!!!
    01 Pewter T/A=sold
    Now 04 Z06, Black

Thread Information