Red
    2002 TA WS6

Drive cycle and slow codes

I previously had a P0420 code that supposedly indicates a bad convertor. I had reset the codes 3 times, and it kept coming back. Finally I pulled the bank 1 O2 sensor, and sprayed it down with brake clean. A bunch of black residue came off, so I let it dry and screwed it back in. The code has not come back after 3 drive cycles of about 12 miles, and letting it cool down each time. The problem now is that the scanner is still showing the OH and EV tests pending. I have tried to follow the GM Drive Cycle instructions, but these tests still have not run after a 25 mile run this morning. Any ideas?

You pulled the bank 1 rear sensor for P0420, right? Why didn't you get the dealer to look at it, are you past 120K? Put some more miles on it.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

It's only got 11,000 miles on it. I did get the dealer to check the code, they wanted to put a new converter on it. I thought it sounded pretty stupid for a converter with only 11k miles, and I don't really like anyone working on my cars. The last time I let a dealer service one of my cars under warranty they cross threaded a spark plug and ended up putting a Heli Coil kit on it. You can't imagine how pissed I was. My 2 best friends are mechanics, so I hear a lot of stories that are far worse.

An yeah, it was the Bank 1 sensor on the driver's side just after the converter. I read somewhere that the converter and sensor can collect a lot of crap if the car doesn't get driven far enough to heat it up completely. Considering the extremely small town where I bought the car, and the 2,000 miles a year it got driven, this made sense.
    Last edited by VTR99; 08-23-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: More info

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Drove it another 50 miles this morning, and followed the GM Drive Cycle as close as I could. The OH test finally ran, but the EV is still flashing on my INNOVA 3100 indicating it has not run. Sorta ironic that I need to burn 20 gallons of premium to get the car to the point where it can get emissions tested.

Thread Information