Black
    99 SS

lets build an engine!!

ok need some ideas guys, me and a buddy are building a Pontiac 400 up for his 79 formula bird. we pretty much have the whole thing dissassembled, he is going to use the stock heads he is just going to port and polish them for now to save money and get new springs and rockers , so here is the deal the block is getting hot tanked and prolly to .30 over, so what are your suggestions guys are for the cam, intake, carb, lifters,

new parts are going to include water pump, fuel pump, oil pump/pan, starter. basically everything but the crank and connectors

keep in mind he kinda wants go to on the wild side for this build but wants to only spend about 1,500-1,800 on this.

its backed up by a 4 speed but not sure about the rear end i can find out the gears tonight

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

He doesn't have enough money to go very wild-another forum could give better answers for something this old school.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Without $$$ it's always gonna move like a tank. My friend built his 77 with a little better than stock cam, edelborck performer rpm? all on a new rebuild he's running a 750 and thanks to all of that it is now perfect competition for my 97 chevy truck. Just don't expect much without new heads. He also had a muncie 4-speed, and his had 3.42s. I'm just saying that for 1800 bucks he can't get much, Sad years for the automakers, it's a shame too cause those cars look MEAN. Wasn't the factory rating on those thing like 228hp and 199,856 ft/pds?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Heads are the best place to find power in any engine. If he really wants a "wild" engine setup, he's gonna spend some serious $$$ modifying the stock iron heads to reach his goal. Also, if those heads are off a '79 400, you might at least see if you can find any earlier heads off a 350 for best gains. Later heads are thinner cast with larger chambers to dump compression. If you are going to scrimp by with OE iron heads, at least look into better ones.

If he can swing it, spending the money on Edelbrock or similar heads will give the best potential for power.

Good luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

try .60 over, spend the money on the heads now, he will regret it later especially after all that work. get good header exhaust and rear, best advice i can give. coming from a guy with a 87 monte ss, aero, 180 stock horse power. do it right the first time or don't do it at all. needless to say i still have my 180 horses. hey bone boy i have a set of dart 2's 2.02 heades brand new i paid 750 for about 4 years ago. still in plastic wrap. i think those would work nice let me know if interested i'll see you in about a month. let me know. thanks jeremy

Black
    99 SS

ok i think he is going to be there with me come april.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11
    try .60 over, spend the money on the heads now, he will regret it later especially after all that work.
    I wouldn't bore the engine over unless it needed it, and even then only enough to clean it up. You won't get any power from a .060 overbore.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11
    hey bone boy i have a set of dart 2's 2.02 heades brand new i paid 750 for about 4 years ago. still in plastic wrap. i think those would work nice let me know if interested i'll see you in about a month. let me know. thanks jeremy
    Those are not Pontiac heads...or are they? Small block chevy heads will not work on a Pontiac 400.

Although, Jeremy brings up a good point. Depending on how much work that 400 needs, your friend will get more bang for his buch out of a small black chevy than the pontiac. Thats all up to him and whether or not he wants to keep it all pontiac...

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

not pontiac heads my bad i was think chevy 400 350 with bigger crank, they will not work boner.

Thread Information