Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

Question 99 Vette 'Vert, Tuning Needed?

Got a buddy with a 99 Corvette 6spd convertible and he is thinking about doing some pretty extensive engine work. Will he need dyno tuning? What he is wanting to do...

Stroke it to 374(stock 3.90 bore x 3.90 stroke)
    All new crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, dbl roller timing.
    New Cam (dur. 280/288 - @.050 222/230 - lift .510/.510)
    Heads ported & polished w/ bigger valves & new springs.etc
    Intake matched to heads

That is pretty much it. Will he need it dyno tuned? Will the stock computer relearn to these mods? He is also talking of doing these mods and adding a supercharger in a year or so. We are expecting to do some tuning then but not sure about now.

Thanks

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

no the stock computer will not relearn the mods...he will need a tune...fairly extensive one at that.

Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

Ok, I don't know if he is going to go for major tuning, what is the largest cam he can use and get the heads ported?

His goal is over 500 hp and the easiest way to do it. I appreciate the help.

Thanks

What kind of power would we be talking with the stroker set up & a good tune. I would actually like to get him enough power to get him away from the supercharger talk. Would it be 600hp, 625hp, 650hp? The heads would be professionally ported to the max.
    Last edited by wildkatz; 02-07-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

bwahahahaha, damn near impossible.

Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

Which part is impossible?

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildkatz
    Which part is impossible?
    notice my response was at 11:55 which was before your changes to your post at 11:57 your changes made my response not make any sense.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Ok, I don't know if he is going to go for major tuning, what is the largest cam he can use and get the heads ported?
    do you mean what is the largest cam/heads pkg he can use without tuning? I would say an ls6 style pkg which would get him to around 340-360 to the wheels without tuning more then likely.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

His goal is over 500 hp and the easiest way to do it. I appreciate the help.
    do you mean at the wheels or the crank?

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

What kind of power would we be talking with the stroker set up & a good tune. I would actually like to get him enough power to get him away from the supercharger talk. Would it be 600hp, 625hp, 650hp? The heads would be professionally ported to the max.
    depends how big of a stroker setup he goes with but 500-550 to the wheels is about the norm with gobs of tq.

Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

Yeah, rear wheel. If we could get 550 to the rear wheels, I think he would be satisfied. What is the limitation on a cam and still use the stock computer? I don't want to have to upgrade it to an aftermarket system. I have been hearing that the cam is the limitation on the stock system. If you run a big cam, the computer picks it up & reads it as knock.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

people have pushed the stock computer to well over 800rwhp so the computer aint the limitation.

Bombguy99Z28
    What heads are you talking about? max porting of what, stock heads, ls6 heads, ls7 heads, aftermarket castings? What intake manifold do you plan to run? You are probably going to want to look at something over 400ci, and maybe a resleeved ls2 block. Not that it isn't possible without, but it would make it simpler to do. The computer isn't a problem. Oh, and you probably would need a much bigger cam. That cam wouldn't even max out a 346ci engine.

Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

Going to be using the stock heads & intake & the cam will be larger, probably a custom grind.

Bombguy99Z28
    Probably not going to be able to reach your goals with 99 head castings and an LS1 intake. Probably not even close. Your buddy is going to be wasting money.

Might have the cubes for the power, but without the airflow of a fast/ls7 or even an ls6 setup for the intake, and some better head castings, the cubes won't get the air they need to make the power. That much power isn't cheap, best bet is to run a fast/sheetmetal intake w/AFR225 or ETP or similar setup, or run a resleeved ls2 block with ls7 heads/intake. Airflow = HP.

Your friend would probably get to where he wants to via forced induction a lot cheaper.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bombguy99Z28
    Your friend would probably get to where he wants to via forced induction a lot cheaper.
    Probably for 60% less.
    Doing a stroker do make 525+ RWHP costs some guys WAY over $10K.
    My 402 build is running upwards of $12K right now. Although I did some things that I didn't 'need' to do...and I went cheaper on the heads.

Bombguy99Z28
    I'd spend more on the heads and less on everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    Probably for 60% less.
    Doing a stroker do make 525+ RWHP costs some guys WAY over $10K.
    My 402 build is running upwards of $12K right now. Although I did some things that I didn't 'need' to do...and I went cheaper on the heads.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Going to be using the stock heads & intake & the cam will be larger, probably a custom grind.
    Not here to flame you man, but an engine is a system of parts that all need to work well together. If you add extra displacement and a small cam, you simply can't get to those goals with a stock cylinder head.

My advice to you is to have your friend find a shop that he trusts and look at what they have done. Sure, it's going to cost more money - speed costs money, how fast does he want to go? The bottom line is, a lot of people have picked out all the coolest parts to build a really bad ass car, but by not matching everything and/or taking the time to properly tune it all to work together, they end up with a really expensive piece that is no fun to them.

Again, don't want to insult anyone, but your friend would be money ahead to work with someone who knows their stuff.

Good Luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Thread Information