Black
    2002 Camaro

Pulsing Headlights/Lights fixed!!!!!

After only getting a single reply to my problem of all of my lights pulsing I guessed it really stumped everybody. Well I just wanted to post a thread on what to check for. I found my battery had a 2 bad cells and that was putting serious strains on the alternator to try dump a charge into it when it couldnt. Replaced it with a red top and now the pulsing hasnt been seen since. Another thing to check for though if you ever encounter this problem and you still have your stock GM Delphi alternator is they were prone to having there voltage regulators go out for no reason, if this is your case then replace your alternator.
    Thanks for any help and I hope this helps someone out someday.

BlackHawk T/A
    What is a good replacement?

Black
    2002 Camaro

Battery or Alternator???
    Well for a battery you cant fit much in those LS1 compartments, I chose a Optima Red Top and I am very pleased so far. Its sealed so theres no chance of spilling acid, and the spiral cell technology claimes to give you more cranking amps for the weight. I believe my battery to be about 3-5 pounds lighter than my last AC Delco.
    For alternators its really all about prefferance. This is also affected by what you plan to put on your car. I decided to shove a 240 amp Powermaster into mine just because I love Powermaster alternators, and I am running a serious sound system in my car. I preffer powermsters even for a stock replacement type. Even though their pricy its worth it because they really give you an idle amperage thats far beyond what any other replacement will give you.
    Ever replaced your alternator to find a voltage drop when you come to a stop while in gear??? Chances are if you have EVER replaced your alternator with anything but a factory unit you have seen this. Bottom line (especially in Fuel Injected applications) dont cheap out for a 75.00-125.00 replacement. If you want an alternator thats going to both last and put out good amperage then plan on spending about $200.00.
    Here is Powermasters website.
    powermastermotorsports
    I cant put the www or .com part because I havnt been her long enough so fill in the blanks.
    You can make just about any of these fit, Hell I fit a 240 amp one in that was designed for my 97 Chevy Pick-Up!!!

BlackHawk T/A
    I meant alternator...I have an Optima Red. Also have a sound sytem.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Then I would definately recomend the Powermaster. Its a little bit of a bitch but you can fit the 240 amp truck version into your car. The item number is 58203 This is a 240 amp alternator. When you remove your old unit make sure you also remove the rear support for it from the block. This will no longer be used but I would save it for later just in case. Also you will have to do some light bending of the PS lines but it is all done by hand. You wont have to remove anything else.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z28

funny i've been dealing with my pulsing lights in my car for a long time now , i had reeplaced the batt along time ago but to no avail. i told the dealer that my alternator needed to be replaced since it was under warranty but they said it was " fine " , i knew it wasn't , i finally bucked up and bought an new autolite(not reblt.) and now all is awesome , no pulsing ( driving was a pain cause sometimes it looked lke i was driving in an 8mm movie or i had strobes on....lol...the onlt thing i would recommend is to just go ahead and disconnect the power steering lines at the rack, it makes pulling out the alt. soooo much easier....and since i disconnected my PS i guess it was also a great time to put in the PS cooler that i had been putting off as well....but now all is back together and i could swear that the car even runs better and smoother/stronger because of the steady voltage(i was getting very fluctuating voltage from 12-19 volts)....friggin alternators

Red
    2000 SS

There is nothing wrong w/the delphi/delco alternator. They die because of the parasitic draw on the battery when the car sits for more than a few days and it runs at full tilt trying to charge the system. From a full charge, my car was able to sit for three weeks before the battery barely had enough life in it to crank the starter (and it's a new Optima yellow-top).

The battery develops bad cells from sitting (lead sulfate forms and shorts out the plates/cells).

If the vehicle is gonna sit, get a battery minder or battery tender. Since I did, no problems, no flickering lights, no alternator issues, no battery problems.

Aside from disconnecting the battery, you won't solve the factory parasitic drag (from the computer, radio, etc). Most folks get into trouble wiring in their own accessories that run even with the key off.

Oh, and let me add that this is NOT a GM-exclusive issue. They ALL do it to some extent.

Good luck/hunting

Thread Information