flat black

NEW 4th GEN wing

I am in the process of making a second gen style wing for the 4th gen fbody...it is a 1 piece style wing unlike the original 3 piece...i twill bolt onto your decklids some modification to the lids will be required since when you unbolt the big wing off the back of the firebirds you have like 6 little holes and 1 great big hole that will all need smoothed out and filled. (i have not started working on a camaro type since 1 already exists...so far this will be strictly for 93-02 firebird/trans ams) the end price will be $375

Wing is still in prototype process...once i get the first one finished i will make a reverese mold of the finished wing so that they will come out the same ever time after that...they will be fiberglass with a sheetmetal reinforced base...this base will give you the stuctural integrity needed so that you can mount the wing to your car...kit will come with the wing and mounting instruction it will be up to you to have the decklid refinished to fit your car...eventually i might make reproduction lids so that all you have to do is dismount your old lid and wing and remount the new one....ill keep you posted here's the link so you can see whats goin on so far

http://community.webshots.com/album/544743110GEHXos

PM me or direct your questions to lrader_99@yahoo.com
    thank you,
    Lee Rader

Red
    86 Z28

Looks pretty good man, cant wait to see the finish product. Is this new wing going to bolt on to firebird hatch, since you removed the wing on the Trans Am?

Red
    86 Z28

Ok. I think you should make the wing alittle bit bigger, maybe like 2 or 3inches

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Not a bad idea. Can't wait to see a finished product.

flat black
    i can customize orders...this thing already has a 6" rake. i didnt want to go too tall on the first one... to answer your question....yes it will bolt on to the hatch after new holes are drilled...since the new wing sits on the very back edge of the decklid. the new wing does not share any of the mounting holes as the original....the mounting configuration will look somthing like the original 2nd gen wing looking like this:

: - - : (6 holes will have to be drilled this wing sits so far back on the decklid it catches so much air...any less im afraid it might damage the decklid or try and rip off...) for those people who dont think the 4th gen wings put any downforce on your cars...take it off...drive down the highway at 80 MPH just be ready to clutch onto that steering wheel, cause the rearend will get really loose, especially if i semi goes to pass you...

My whole reason for the wing is:
    A: quality looks. i love the 2nd gen camaros and firebirds they had sleek body lines.4th gens share those same quality lines.
    B: i drive from charlotte to atlanta A lot...i dont know what it is about the drive but every time i go home my car is loose as crap until i get about to greenville...it feels like i have a major tail wind in culmination with a cross wind...which ends up grabbing ahold of the rear wing and lifting up on the rear end....the way i have designed this wing is so that when you have a side wind come across your rear spoiler it just pushes the air around the back instead of cupping the wing and lifting on it...same with the tail wind...a tail wind will actually act as downforce instead of lift.. plus the way the wing is positioned with the amount of wedge it creates a lot of downforce at higher speeds. so those who have wider tires that often hydroplane will also benefit, as it will give you better stability and put more force on your tires helping to evacute water(remember the wider the tire the more contact patch you have, which means the less downforce per sq in of contact....so the wider your tires the easier it is to hydroplane)

thanks keep asking questions if you want a taller spoiler let me know ill see what i can come up with for you

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

looks good. reminds me of the trans am series race cars =)

flat black
    thats it...only 3 people? only 3 people show interest and none of them have 4 gen birds...1 camaro...but i havent even made that wing yet....i was hoping for a better response

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hey man im really interested, just show me a finished product.

flat black
    should be this weekend so latest i should have full line of pictures up monday...im going home to atlanta this weekend where i can really crank out the fiber and get the decklid finished and everything painted...cross your fingers

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

i think it looks pretty good bit i dont think i would put it on my ta....

flat black
    *bump*

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

thats nice, i think it'll only fit trans am hatches tho...

flat black
    yea right now ive only got it designed for 4th gen birds...theres a company that makes a wing that goes on the camaros...if there was interest and i could get my hands on a 4th gen camaro hatch i would make a proto for it too, right now i dont have enough interest in one...so im concentrating on the birds...i think their will end up being 2 models... the current which is a 6" rake and a taller more sloped 8" rake...i need to get a proto for the 8" inside a wind tunnel though im afraid at highway speeds there may be too much downforce on the rear end...if anyone follows nascar..before nascar made them take 2" out of the rear spoilers they were capable of make 1700 lbs of downforce...thats why after about 20 or so laps they were blowing up the tires...to much weight for the tires....so my thought is with that big of a rake it might put too much stress on the rear end...I guess what im trying to say is the over all deminsions of the wing will be bigger but it will be sloped more to allow air to flow easier across it and not make more downforce than the other model

Red
    2001 Trans Am

That looks pretty good. I think if it didn't rise so sharply it might even look better. Since our cars slope down so much maybe making it start closer to the glass and ending up at the same hight might look better but I can't really say for sure. But what you have so far does look good

Thread Information