2000 Formula WS-6

HELP! My key fob is no longer working....it locks but won't open the doors!

Hey guys,

Anybody experience any problems with their key fobs. My seems to want to lock (lights flash and I can here the mechanism) but it won't unlock the door. Any ideas. The lights flash when I click the open key but I don't hear the mechanism.

Any ideas on whats wrong?
    Last edited by 2000FormulaMan; 01-25-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Your contacts may not be very good, open your remote up and take out the rubber piece and clean up any residue that might be in there and try that, you could also opt for replacing the battery

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Your keyless entry system could need to be reprogrammed or could be out of sync with the Body Control Module.Re-synchronizing the transmitter is as simple as pressing the "lock" and "unlock' buttons on the transmitter at the same time for 5 seconds.Programming the BCM is as follows-turn the ignition switch to the off position-remove the RADIO fuse (under dash fuse box)-cycle the ign. switch from OFF to RUN 3 times within 5 seconds until the door locks ,and thehatch release,cycle indicating the BCM is in programming mode-leave the IGN switch in the RUN position.-step 4-pressboth the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on transmitter for up to 16 seconds.-Door locks will cycle once confirming that the tranmitter code is programming.--door locks must cycle completely to unlock before proceeding.--any transmitter code that was previously programmed has been erased.--BCM is now programmed to transmitter--(if matching a second transmitter,repeat step 4 .)-ignition switch to OFF.RADIO fuse to fuse block.The system is like a computer w/o a keyboard and that's how you enter it and program it.Otherwise the transmitter could be defective but it sounds like it's out of synch.

simzjr
    What years does this programming method work on?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

That was out of my 98 service manual-probably work on any of these keyless entry systems but I'm not really sure.

just curious, but i lost one of my keyless entry fobs along time ago. Can i buy one off of ebay and program it to work on my car? I have a 97', so i imagine i need a 97' or newer fob? The earlier ones were different.

Joe

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KansasAutoXer
    just curious, but i lost one of my keyless entry fobs along time ago. Can i buy one off of ebay and program it to work on my car? I have a 97', so i imagine i need a 97' or newer fob? The earlier ones were different.

Joe
    I did this as my 01 onlt came with one Fob. Bought one off of ebay for $25 and then reprogrammed both of them according to the instructions on install university.

Worked like a charm.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

try to resync it first. stand next to the car face the fob at the led on the dash and hold the lock and unlock buttons down until the car locks and unlocks. see if that helps.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Call me crazy, but it wouldn't need reprogrammed or a resync if it is still communicating with the car It's getting the signal but not outputting to the lock/unlock mechanism.

I'd say we need a little more info, does the mechanism in either door actually make noise or do you just hear the click from the BCM in the passenger floorboard? individual answers for both lock and unlock would be good. will it pop the trunk? does it at minimum deactivate the alarm so if you unlock the car with your key it doesn't honk at you?

Not trying to be a know-it-all, it's just that if it flashes the lights that the problem isn't communication between the fob and the car, it would probably be between the BCM and the lock/unlock mech

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Notice I used the word "could " and I gave instructions on resynchronizing already. From there I would have to give BCM DTC's and other info that goes beyond my typing and patience skills. If it doesn't do anything other than flash the lights in response to any keyfob inputs,then it could be a BCM problem.If it were a simple door lock prob w/the driver's door then the pass. side would unlock on the second button press and the hatch would still unlock and the panic thing would still operate. I wish they would have the service manual posted somewhere on the web for all to see. The one this info came out of is as thick as the Greater St. Louis area phone book and a lot harder to get info out of. (DTC stands for Diagnostic Trouble Codes-just to clarify. )

Thread Information