Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

green
    94 z28

Protecting a new paint job without a garage?

Well guys, I will be having my car painted in a few months. When the time comes, I want a way to start protecting the paint as good as I can while it's parked here. I do have a gravel drive-way, and I hate it. Anyways, I do not have a garage and the car port is filled with other things, so what would be a good way of protecting the paint job?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Well guys, I will be having my car painted in a few months. When the time comes, I want a way to start protecting the paint as good as I can while it's parked here. I do have a gravel drive-way, and I hate it. Anyways, I do not have a garage and the car port is filled with other things, so what would be a good way of protecting the paint job?

Honestly there is no way. Without a garage or a carport your out of options. You could rig up a tarp haning from the house or trees. That will help keep alot of crap from falling on the car/paint. A car cover is not really a option unless the car is clean every time you put it on other wise your going to end up with scratches.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Honestly there is no way. Without a garage or a carport your out of options. You could rig up a tarp haning from the house or trees. That will help keep alot of crap from falling on the car/paint. A car cover is not really a option unless the car is clean every time you put it on other wise your going to end up with scratches.
    I beg to differ. My vehicle sits outside (I live in a condo) and my paint looks great. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't get dirty ALL the time, but there is a big difference between a car being "dirty" and the paint looking like crap.

Would I rather have a garage? Most definitely. But living in Southern California, it makes more sense to rent here - at least while the housing market is in the shitter.

I'll take a stab at answering the guys' question. First off, accept your car will get dirty. There's nothing you can do about it. However, you can prepare the paint to withstand the elements. Clay bar it once or twice a year (depending on your area), keep a good coat of wax on it, and seal the finish. Wipe the car down every few days with a microfiber towel and spray wax.

If you are diligent about keeping it clean and maintaining it, your paint will look just as good as the people who park it in a garage all the time. They will just spend less time maintaining it.

Red
    2001 ws6

get a carcover and a California car duster......

NBM
    99 TA

if you have the space, go buy one of those portable parking structures

just a quick example, they come much smaller if needed
    http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/110604.jpg

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Put car in carport and let "other things" sit in driveway.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I beg to differ. My vehicle sits outside (I live in a condo) and my paint looks great. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't get dirty ALL the time, but there is a big difference between a car being "dirty" and the paint looking like crap.

Would I rather have a garage? Most definitely. But living in Southern California, it makes more sense to rent here - at least while the housing market is in the shitter.

I'll take a stab at answering the guys' question. First off, accept your car will get dirty. There's nothing you can do about it. However, you can prepare the paint to withstand the elements. Clay bar it once or twice a year (depending on your area), keep a good coat of wax on it, and seal the finish. Wipe the car down every few days with a microfiber towel and spray wax.

If you are diligent about keeping it clean and maintaining it, your paint will look just as good as the people who park it in a garage all the time. They will just spend less time maintaining it.
    I agree with wax and protection from the elements as a good measure to take. The only thing is that by you living in what it seems a semi-dusty environment (gravel driveway) you need to refine your detailing techniques to reduce the chances of inducing swirl marks. Good microfiber, and always wash with a quality car wash. Don't use a QD to wipe down dust no matter how fine it looks, just use a QD for spot cleaning, or after a thorough wash

Black
    2005 GTO

I understand you can protect the paint without a garage or carport but my point is its going to sit outside so it will be alot dirtier than if it was in a garage. Then it will have to be washed more often and inturn will have to be waxed more often. The more you touch the paint the more chance you have of swirl marks/imperfections follow Z06-Goose deatailing technique will help reduce swirls. It also depends on what conditions he has, my car was parked under trees for 4 years and it was dirty the day i washed it. Had to deal with sap, leaves, cat claws, hurricans, and any other enviroment my paint is in great shape but would be way better if it had been in a garage.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Put car in carport and let "other things" sit in driveway.

I have to agree.

green
    94 z28

It being super clean isn't the main concern. Having crap fall on it that may damage it(from trees and such) and things like that is my main concern. I can always wash the car when needed, but something messing with the paint isn't as easy.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats why we say garage it-not only will your car be out of harms way from branches,sap etc. or even little kids with bb guns(my car recently got shot so now it lives inside)-the other advantage is it will stay cleaner longer-which results in less car washes-which in effect results in less swirls,scratches,and wear on the paint.If possible putting it in the carport/garage is really worth it.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I agree with wax and protection from the elements as a good measure to take. The only thing is that by you living in what it seems a semi-dusty environment (gravel driveway) you need to refine your detailing techniques to reduce the chances of inducing swirl marks. Good microfiber, and always wash with a quality car wash. Don't use a QD to wipe down dust no matter how fine it looks, just use a QD for spot cleaning, or after a thorough wash

good advice.......goose knows his stuff

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Thats why we say garage it-not only will your car be out of harms way from branches,sap etc. or even little kids with bb guns(my car recently got shot so now it lives inside)-the other advantage is it will stay cleaner longer-which results in less car washes-which in effect results in less swirls,scratches,and wear on the paint.If possible putting it in the carport/garage is really worth it.
    The problem is I don't have a garage and the carport is used for things that can't really be moved. That's why I'm having to find another alternative. I think I may just end up saving up some money and buying some big plastic and make a little garage-like thing out of pipes sort of like that portable garage that was posted above.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats probably the next best thing to a garage.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

theres also this http://www.carcapsule.com/

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Don't wax it right after you get it painted. It will trap the solvents in the paint and have potential problems later. Wait until the water doesn't bead up anymore and then wax it. The water beads on new paint because of the solvents escaping from the paint. takes about 60 days to fully cure. If you don't believe me ask the shop doing the work, if they are reputable and know paint they will say the same thing.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ This is what I was told when I got my last car painted. I actually waited 4-5 months before waxing just to be certain.

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by blownh2x View Post
    Don't wax it right after you get it painted. It will trap the solvents in the paint and have potential problems later. Wait until the water doesn't bead up anymore and then wax it. The water beads on new paint because of the solvents escaping from the paint. takes about 60 days to fully cure. If you don't believe me ask the shop doing the work, if they are reputable and know paint they will say the same thing.
    The shop my brother got his car painted said to wait a month, so he waited a month and now has swirl marks in a few locations.

And it's not a shop that is doing it, I'm doing it myself in the paint booth at the college. I'm only going to have to pay for the paint itself, no labor costs or anything.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Mine is outside 24/7 i just use wax, like once every two months a few other protective measures and cleaning products and i allways get complimants on the shine. I was it once a week with a good car wash.
    J
    Last edited by sunsetorangess; 05-26-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I just put together a portable carport in my yard this past weekend for my WS6, it is pretty sturdy considering I haven't even anchored the sides down yet. I paid $250 with shipping included for a structure that is 9' wide, 10' tall, and 20' long. It is 4-sided and both ends have zippered doors. It protects the car from UV rays, weather, etc. I might even buy another one for my other Firebird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information