Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Suncoast Creations Hood Grill Painting Writeup

I decided to take a stab at my frist writeup, painting the hood grills for the Suncoast hoods. I always notice alot of people freaking out about painting anything of theirs if they dont have any experience.

Suncoast creations has a strange way of making their hoods. They look much like the OEM styles but they are very different in fit, quality, and construction. In all of those categories I would say they are subpar and could use some improvement to be like or better than OEM.

Having that said, most everyone who has these hoods knows that the grilles that are placed at the intake notrils are bare stainless honeycomb mesh. I recieved some comments on the last cruise here in colorado that the car would flow better if they were painted. Well I finally busted down and did it.

List of materials:
    -Microfiber and Spray bottle of water (cleaning purposes)
    -Small paintbrush
    -Can of black metal adhesive spray paint
    -Tupperware container to spray paint into
    -Painters tape

*Please note, I didn't take pictures before really or of any of the materials but I do have an older pic of how the hood did look*

Use your own judgement on where you want to do this. I was inside my garage with the door cracked about a foot or so off the ground and the side door open.

I started by cleaning off the metal real good masking off the hood notrils just incase the paint decided to drip. Use your own judgement on this, do as little or as much as you want, I went pretty basic based on my steady hand.

Take the can of spray paint and the tupperware and go in a well ventillated area outside. Shake the can well (60 seconds is plenty) and spray enough into the tupperware that theres a thin pool of paint in a bottom corner.

Grab that paintbrush and get in a comfortable position to paint. Dip the brush in the paint just so theres a thin layer on the brush, no need to go overboard and risk a drip on the car. Slowly swab over the combs being careful not to let the bristles of the brush fling paint. Do this until a thin coat is on the entire screen. Move to the next on and do the same. wait about 5-10 minutes if you really want it to dry up before adding your next coat. By the time I was done with the second screen, the first was ready for another coat. (Colorado is super arid so the paint cures fast). Your next coat should be darker and shouldn't allow any metal to shine through. Allow to dry for 15-25 minutes. You can run a third coat if you wish but on mine it wasn't necessary. The beauty of this type of paint is if you do get some on the car, a net dish scrubber from the kitchen, some soap and water will take it right off.

After the paint has dried take the tape off and admire your handywork. You can use any color that fits your fancy but just be aware some colors may require more than 2-3 coats to get the full effect. Brake caliper paint will also work and probably is a better longer lasting formula. I used what was avalible to me and it works well.

BEFORE

AFTER

'05 BMW 330Ci ///M Sport 6Spd
    '99 WS13 Trans Am A4 - Gone but not forgotten
    '01 Firebird Convertible A4 - History

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

looks really good !! i was looking into the suncoast ws6 hood, you didn't like the way it fit?

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

It s a pretty piss poor mold all the way around honestly. Took my painter 3 trys to get all of the waves out. Almost went into the gelcoat just to fix it which pissed me off pretty good. Can't complain too much tho because my parents got it for me without my knowing.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

hmm... yeah i don't know of any other places that make then good... from what i've heard that was the best place to get them... and about the vents.. did it actually flow better??

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    hmm... yeah i don't know of any other places that make then good... from what i've heard that was the best place to get them... and about the vents.. did it actually flow better??
    Yea, just pray to god nothing flies up and blocks those grilles, because if anything does, your screwed.

MSZ28

PEWTER
    1999 Z28

I have a suncoast hood on my Z28. The air flow with airbox seemed to really open up the exhaust. First suncoast hood I had fit great and was really smooth. Hit a deer and cracked hood, the 2nd hood did not fit as good, but pretty close. Been wanting to paint my air grill.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Yea, just pray to god nothing flies up and blocks those grilles, because if anything does, your screwed.
    why what would happen?? and i guess with suncoast it's kinda hit or miss huh

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    why what would happen?? and i guess with suncoast it's kinda hit or miss huh
    Since its a straight ram air induction through an airbox that seals to the hood and allows only air from the hood, your pretty screwed should those become blocked because the engine isn't sucking air from anywhere else.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok lol

white
    2002 z28

dudmb question, but is the SC hood higher then oem hood?

Thread Information