Thread: drill mod....??

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

drill mod....??

So here's the deal I will be replacing my master cylinder within a week or so and I have been reading about this "drill mod" and I was thinking of doing it but before I go through with it I would like to know exactly what this mod is going to help me with. I have searched the forum for this info but no one seems to have a very good grasp of what this mod is does. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

silver
    2000 formula ws6

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Mcleod now sells an aftermarket hydraulic line that already has or doesn't need this mod done.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

"This will remove the restriction that GM thought would be a great idea." What restrictions are they speaking of and how does this help?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

read the link above

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

"16. This step is known as the infamous "drill mod". The same modification can be found in numerous publications and bulletin boards over the internet. If you don't want to perform the drill mod, which at this point would be a pitiful shame because it only takes a minute to do, skip this step and continue on to Step 18.

You should now be left with the steel braided line as shown in Figure 16. We took a small piece of cut up vacuum hose (anything thick and flexible will do), and wrapped it around the brass part of the fitting on the steel braided line. Then we clamped down on it with a set of vice-grips to hold the line while the restriction would be drilled (see Figure 17). Take a 1/8" drill bit and slowly, constantly bringing the bit back out and then back in to remove metal shavings as often as possible, drill out the ingenious in-line restriction (lots of sarcasm) that GM decided was best for your blessed muscle car. You will have to drill until you feel the drill bit pass through the restriction. The bit should freely move into the line before you are through drilling. The total distance drilled will be in the neighborhood of one inch (1"). Also, while drilling, be sure to keep the steel braided line as straight as possible so you don't drill through the line by accident. This sounds like a lot to accomplish, but common sense will carry you through. ;-)"

Thsi is all install universtiy speaks of. I understand how to do it, thats not my problem. My question is what does this restriction in the line hinder on the car? Meaning what kind of gain will I be looking for when I perform this mod?

silver
    2000 formula ws6

you will get a faster reaction when you step on or release the clutch petal. theres been a few cases where the clutch petal will not come up as fast as you can release it. what this means is you will have a faster reacting hydraulic clutch system.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks. The help is much appreciated.

Thread Information