Thread: 3.23 to 3.73

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

Arrow 3.23 to 3.73

I have a 2002 ws6 a4. I have 3.23 gears right now and I want to go 3.73. Im wanting to know the gas mileage difference between the two. I do about 20 to 30 miles a day on the highway. Would I see a big change in my gas mileage? I would appreciate any replies!!! thanks

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Do you have a torque converter yet? If not you may try getting one with stall around 3200-3600 it can get you .5 sec off et and wont compromise highway mileage because they lock up at 45mph. Just a thought, I am planning on getting a TC before I think about gears due to loss of gas mileage with gears.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Yeah I would to do a stall but its just so freakin exspensive. Thats why I wanted to do gears. I have a guy that will set the gears up for $200. I just want to know about how many miles per gallon of gas will I lose with the 3.73?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What kind of highway mileage are you currently getting?? Around 20MPG??

Figure on losing a couple MPG's, so if you're getting 20, you'll get more like 17 or 18 MPG.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Im getting somewhere around 20 but no less than that. A couple miles per gallon loss dosent sound bad. I just wanted something to wake the car up a little bit. My mods on the car right now are: LM exhaust, SLP lid with k&N filter, smooth bellow, TB bypass, and Im about to bolt up a off road bassani y pipe that deletes the cats. I wanted to do headers but than there is the money issue. Is there any other small mods I can do to the car for a few horsepower here and there? What about 8mm spark plugs?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jakef777 View Post
    Im getting somewhere around 20 but no less than that. A couple miles per gallon loss dosent sound bad. I just wanted something to wake the car up a little bit. My mods on the car right now are: LM exhaust, SLP lid with k&N filter, smooth bellow, TB bypass, and Im about to bolt up a off road bassani y pipe that deletes the cats. I wanted to do headers but than there is the money issue. Is there any other small mods I can do to the car for a few horsepower here and there? What about 8mm spark plugs?
    Don't bother changing the spark plug wires to try and gain performance. The LS1 wires are very short, and the coils produce a lot of output, so the difference is negligable between wires. So unless the wires are due to be changed because of age/mileage, don't worry about it.

I changed mine because they were due to be replaced after 8 years, I used the Granatelli Wires which have a claimed 0 ohms of resistance, and I've been happy with them.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

You can get coated pacesetterLTs for around $375 at most sponsers.install is easy.Make sure the guy thats doing ur gears knows what he is doing I just went from 3:23s to 3:73s and the shop that did my install had problems setting mine up took them back twice now I still hear clinging and clanging from the rear when slowing and stopping.Iv put over 200 miles on the car and Im scared to get on it.The swap was not worth the hassel Im going through now.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by J'stransam View Post
    You can get coated pacesetterLTs for around $375 at most sponsers.install is easy.Make sure the guy thats doing ur gears knows what he is doing I just went from 3:23s to 3:73s and the shop that did my install had problems setting mine up took them back twice now I still hear clinging and clanging from the rear when slowing and stopping.Iv put over 200 miles on the car and Im scared to get on it.The swap was not worth the hassel Im going through now.
    You need to have someone install the gears who has a lot of experience and knows exactly what they are doing. Your average mechanic probably won't have the experience necessary to install the gears right.

I have 4.10's in mine, they were in the car before I bought it, and they are quiet. No bad noises to speak of. I'm assuming it was a professional installation job.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

Yeah mine was installed at a shop that has a good reputation never heard anything bad about them.My gears are weird ,today I drove around 40-50miles really didnt hear much of anynoise back there still havent got on it yet though, plan on running it at the track wednesday for the first time since the install.Also plan on getting a tune in the next month or so and when I take it to Thunder Racing probably just have them check the rear out then if nothing happens b4.

Thread Information