Red
    1998 TransAm

How much to install a new fuel pump in 98 t/a

My 98 trans am won't start unless you crank the guts out of it. It's not throwing any codes, runs like a scalded dog once it does start, no misses, no errors. It does this on a cold start, and when the engine is at normal operating temps. I only has 22,000 miles and has been garage kept since new.

On Saturday, I hope to check the fuel pressure. If the pump is bad and not supplying the proper pressure at start-up.......

1. what's the going price for a fuel pump?
    2. how many hours labor are involved replacing it?
    3. any reports of how much this job costs if someone's been there and done it?

thanks for your ideas!

Check the fuel pressure/replace the filter first.

Red
    1998 TransAm

I replaced the filter...if you check the pressure when cranking the engine and it is low does that mean the pump is bad or is it some other issue besides the pump?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just turn the key on and check it then. Then check it after it's running. If it's much below 58psi then I'd say your fuel pump would be a likely suspect since you've already done the filter.
    I've seen fuel pump jobs kind of all over the map. Seems like $700-$1000 is the most popular area. The pump module itself isn't real cheap. If you're mechanically inclined and know your way around a tool box it's not a hard job. Just time consuming. There's 2 different methods people use. I personally dropped the rear and then pulled the tank the other is to lift the carpet in the hatch area and cut an access panel to get at the pump then rivet some sheetmetal over the hole when you're done. I wasn't fond of cutting on my car so that's why I went the other direction. Just time consuming and having a helper pays dividends. If you do it yourself I would look at doing a racetronix fuel pump. Great kit and check out harrisspeedworks (sponsor) for pricing.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

I changed my pump on my lt1 and believe me im not that mechanically inclined, but i do like a challenge. It took me about 5 hours. It would definitely be an expensive job

Red
    1998 TransAm

98 t/a still won't start

Thanks for the ideas and comments to yesterday's post. My mechanic came by today. Car wouldn't start at first. Had about 55 lbs pressure at the fuel rail with the key on. He hooked up his snap on computer to the port under the dash. No codes, anything unusual when cranking it over, still wouldn't fire. (the engine is turning over, just won't fire up) When it started, fuel pressure remained about 60 lbs, no codes on the snap on computer. Turned car off, pulled the two large connectors off the computer, no corrosion at all. Put everything back together....started normally a few times, then wouldn't start again. Got it started later and took it out and drove it. It ran great. Turned it off about 15 miles later. Wouldn't start..tried "priming" the pump by turning the key on and off a few times, no help. Talked to a guy who works at auto zone...he said maybe the theft system is malfunctioning. I tried both keys, still messes up with both keys.

The guy at auto zone seems to think maybe the computer needs flashed..maybe some data is corrupted and is causing the car to not start. Any ideas????

Red
    2002 T/A

Try checking for pulse width at the injectors and for spark at the coils when it is cranking, but not starting. If you don't have either then I would suspect and intermittent crank signal. If it cuts in and out this may be why your MIL is not turning on.

Red
    1998 TransAm

Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Try checking for pulse width at the injectors and for spark at the coils when it is cranking, but not starting. If you don't have either then I would suspect and intermittent crank signal. If it cuts in and out this may be why your MIL is not turning on.
    The guy at auto zone said something similar to what you say, now that you mention it, and talked about a crank sensor. What is "MIL" (I'm still learning, I come from the carburetor days..) thanks,

John

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

MIL=check engine light
    I would listen to the guy with the Snap-On diagnostic tool. Anybody that would invest that kind of money in that would ahve to know something. Or at least is well on the way to learning. You need that tool hooked up when it won't start to figure it out. Otherwise you are just throwing parts at it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by I'mLS1John View Post
    Talked to a guy who works at auto zone...he said maybe the theft system is malfunctioning. I tried both keys, still messes up with both keys.
    Is your security light staying on? Using both keys wouldn't matter if the problem is in the tumbler....I had to bypass mine because one of the wires between the ignition cylinder and bcm snapped off.

Red
    1998 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    MIL=check engine light
    I would listen to the guy with the Snap-On diagnostic tool. Anybody that would invest that kind of money in that would ahve to know something. Or at least is well on the way to learning. You need that tool hooked up when it won't start to figure it out. Otherwise you are just throwing parts at it.
    Thanks for the info!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Security system disables the starter too. No fuel pressure, ignition or starter.

Red
    1998 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Is your security light staying on? Using both keys wouldn't matter if the problem is in the tumbler....I had to bypass mine because one of the wires between the ignition cylinder and bcm snapped off.
    No, when you set the alarm the security light blinks at the same speed it always has...it's not staying on all the time.

Red
    1998 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Security system disables the starter too. No fuel pressure, ignition or starter.
    Must not be the security system since I have pressure, starter, and hopefully ignition.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

There is a 'security' light next to the speedometer that lights when the PASSKEY thing (that works with the ignition key) is blocking the vehicle from starting. Different from the little LED red light on the dashboard top.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the original post said it cranks but won't start. If it were vats it wouldn't crank.

Did you guys verify that you're getting spark when it's cranking? Could possibly be the crank position sensor but that's a guess.
    Last edited by 0rion; 05-13-2007 at 07:44 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

We understand it's not VATS.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

re:

My fiancées 99 camaro V6 was doing the same thing. It turned out to be a bad fuel regulator.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

NBM
    98 formula

I had a similar problem and thought it was the Vats.to make a long story short it ended up being a $10 ignition relay

Red
    1998 TransAm

Thanks for all the ideas guys

I've been away a few days, will check out all the things you all mentioned and then get back in touch. Thanks!
    John

Thread Information