02 ZO6 Fuel Sender Issues (PICS INSIDE)

Having problems with the fuel gauge these days. For some reason when just normally driving around the gauge will drop from full tank straight to empty and the display will report reserve fuel. Then I can drive to my destination, get outa my car, go into the store, come out and it will be fine again. It does this kinda thing random. One day it might never do it and the next it will do it. I have tried running techron thru the car for about 2 weeks on and off to see if that would help and it hasn't done anything for me. I took the fuel senders out and they don't look that bad from what I can tell or maybe they do and I just don't know what I am looking at. See pics below.

Anyone have any ideas?

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Most likely a wiring problem or your power supply could be jacked up. I would do a power test on the wires, or buy a new unit

Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    Most likely a wiring problem or your power supply could be jacked up. I would do a power test on the wires, or buy a new unit
    Well I am wondering if I am going to have to replace both units or if only one is bad etc. I am afraid that if I test them with an ohm-meter that they might test good and well that isn't going to tell me much if this is only some kind of intermittent problem.

red
    97 corvette

Usually intermittent and annoying at the worst time possible. ie; thunderstorm
    no cell-no tunes just ding ding ding. Try a couple of stop/start HARD moves
    usually shakes something around enough to stop it for awhile.
    Never happens at the dealer while under warranty..and they have never
    heard of this! BTW Keep an ear out for the small "jet" in your back hatch.
    Turn key to ON do not start listen..start listen again. Not a big deal just annoying.

Nik

red
    2001 corvette

alright mine does the same thing and I ran techron in it, and it took almost two months, but hasnt acted up now for several weeks.

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

mine did something similar I heard something about a few recalls about this, but basically make sure you dont run your car too low as far as fuel. I was in the city one time when my fuel guage was acting up and kept driving around on what i thought was reserve gas. My car died and would not come back to life. Had to tow it on a flatbed to the dealership and basically what they told me was that the motor that sends the fuel uses the gas in your gas tank to stay cool and apparently it failed cause I ran my car too close to empty. It needed the lil sender motor replaced and they fixed the guage costed an arm and a leg for something that seemed relatively small before that but they said until u fix it or get it taken care of use the trip odometer and dont go past a certain point w/o fillin up. Hopefully ur problem isnt as bad, but watch out.

Thread Information