TheBigONE

Blue
    2001 Formula

Fiberglass Hood Prep & Paint

getting a VFN WS9 hood and just wondering how much on average you guys thinks it will cost to get it preped and painted.
    Ive only called 2 places so far and they were at 2 differnet extremes. one shop said around $657 and the other said at least $1200. the cheaper of the 2 said that after if it doesnt set right and it has waves in it its not there responsibility...so that made me wonder for a min. I know that fiberglass is a bitch to paint in comparison to metal/plastic.
    Im gonna ride around with it bolted up for a couple of weeks so that it can flex and set right before i go and get it painted but i just dont want to pay too little and get riped off with shitty quality, and at the same time i dont want to pay wayyy to much and get screwed money wise. anyone have any input here? i know alot of you guys have aftermarket hoods so i hope ya can help me. im a mechanic not a body person so i dont know much about bodywork.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I haven't priced painting a bare hood, but I have priced fixing all the knicks in the front of my car including hood. With Labor and materiels $1,200, and beleive me, there is a lot of work they would have to do. Bondo out the chips, remove old clear coat, paint pretty much entire bumper and half the hood, and then reclear.

So I think the $1200 is a little high for just painting the hood. And I wouldn't go with a shop that doesn't guarantee their work. So, keep looking.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Did you, by chance, just win that hood on Ebay Tuesday night? I called a local shop and they were going to paint a fiberglass hood for no more than $300.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

TheBigONE

Blue
    2001 Formula

nope, i did not, your ride looks exactly like mine though. im gonna get my hood through VFN when i get back from Iraq

Thread Information