Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$2000 to spend, what should I do?

I have stock 00 SS M6. I also have a set of 4:10 gears still in the box that I have been holding on to for quite a while. My wife just gave me $2000 to spend on my car any way I wanted. I want to get the most bang for my buck so I am considering different options. I was thinking along the lines of the following: Install gears, purchase diablo tuner, install y pipe, headers, intake, throtle body, mass airflow and lid. (I may have to throw in a little extra cash to get it all done)

My friend says to forget the bolt ons and buy a good set of heads and store them until I can afford to buy everything else and pay for labor to install.

What would the rest of you do? I am looking for some ideas.
    thanks! Rob

Black
    1998 Z/28

I would say headers, y pipe and cat back, lid, and cam if u had enough left over, but thats just me, and thats what i did hehehe.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by robK View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of the following: Install gears, purchase diablo tuner, install y pipe, headers, intake, throtle body, mass airflow and lid. (I may have to throw in a little extra cash to get it all done)

My friend says to forget the bolt ons and buy a good set of heads and store them until I can afford to buy everything else and pay for labor to install.

What would the rest of you do? I am looking for some ideas.
    thanks! Rob
    your friend is wrong. get bolt ons first.

um your stock tb can handle up too 500 hp/tq so dont swap out..if anything get it port and polished. S3 are some good stock TBs. dont mess with the MAF either its fine. here is what you should get with 2k..a new strange 12 bolt rear or go install gears, headers, cat back system, ls6 intake, and SFC. no matter what you do. get a good pair of weld on SFC!!!!!!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

ur friend dont no wut hes talking about. You gotta get full bolt ons and get the engine breathing well before you do internal work. For $2k i wood do...
    Exhaust
    Headers/ Ypipe
    Lid
    P/P TB
    LS6 intake
    install those gears
    UD Pulley
    Subframes

You should definatley have $ left over, and can install most of if not all of those by urself

98' trans am

watch out for the UD pulley. make sure they are harmonically dampened

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    your friend is wrong. get bolt ons first.

um your stock tb can handle up too 500 hp/tq so dont swap out..if anything get it port and polished. S3 are some good stock TBs. dont mess with the MAF either its fine. here is what you should get with 2k..a new strange 12 bolt rear or go install gears, headers, cat back system, ls6 intake, and SFC. no matter what you do. get a good pair of weld on SFC!!!!!!!!
    ok, its better to work your way back with exhaust, so first go cat-back, then y-pipe, then headers, because its worthless to have better flow- then worse flow-then back to better flow

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

what do you have done already? I recommend some SFC's for sure, Cat-back exhaust, lid, and then probably headers if you can.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Cool

ls6 Intake, Long Tube's, Exhaust, Bigger Throttle Body, Cam!!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    [b] Bigger Throttle Body,
    ......... stock tb handles up to 500hp and tq. not needed. plus along with buying a cam he will need a tune, new oil pump springs and pushrods. but everything else you said was right on.

The car is all stock except the free ram air mod. I am torn between the bolt on stuff or go ahead and doing the patriot head/cam package. Speedinc has it for $1895 including head gaskets, and rocker arms. I can get it all installed from a local speed shop for around $650 (not including tuning). My thinking is that after the internals are done I can do the bolt ons a little at a time as I can afford it or find good deals on stuff. I am really torn on this though.

98' trans am

The car is all stock except the free ram air mod. I am torn between the bolt on stuff or go ahead and doing the patriot head/cam package. Speedinc has it for $1895 including head gaskets, and rocker arms. I can get it all installed from a local speed shop for around $650 (not including tuning). My thinking is that after the internals are done I can do the bolt ons a little at a time as I can afford it or find good deals on stuff. I am really torn on this though.
    get bolt ons first. trust me it will be better. then after you got all the bolt ons then you get heads and cam..that way all those bolt ons will help and compliment your h/c set up cam and heads cant run at their highest potential without being able to get all the air it needs and getting the spend fumes/air out as quickly as possible.

think of it this way..would you buy a gun with out first buying the bullets?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Build from the back to the front and smallest to the biggest, always. If you make the car top heavy(lot of HP with no supporting mods) and a small foundation, it won't perform anyways.

Listen to what Shady has been trying to tell you, he knows what he is talking about from experience.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Build from the back to the front and smallest to the biggest, always. If you make the car top heavy(lot of HP with no supporting mods) and a small foundation, it won't perform anyways.

Listen to what Shady has been trying to tell you, he knows what he is talking about from experience.
    aww thanks y2k

Black
    99 SS

NX kit for sure

why do I need to replace the oil pumb if I install a cam?

98' trans am

i really dont know exactly why..but i know its strongly recommended and stock oil pumps seem to die after cam installs.

So that is why speedinc sells oil pumps in the valve train section!

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

TSP Cam kit 589.00
    Headers 289.00
    Custom true dual w/xpipe from local exhaust shop 295.00
    SLP LID 86.00
    free mods free
    Install cam, headers,valve springs, pushrods 500.00
    1 Day on the dyno at TSP w/ Jason tuning it $350 for 12 pulls.
    End result 368rwhp/355rwtq
    Total $2200
    Keep in mind this was a small cam, stock heads, stock LS1 intake, stock internals, stock MAF, stock TB,stock everything except exhaust, lid, cam. This is a very street friendly car, also has great sound cam was cut on 112lsa
    DO NOT screw with MAF if it is working fine. I know guys that has 650 rwhp cars and stock MAF. The reason I have a SLP is because I started screwing around with mine, that is also the reason it took 12 pulls on the dyno, my car baselined at 217rwhp with the messed up MAF, changed out the MAF after troubleshooting everything else 10 pulls later 368rwhp, so in my case a messed up MAF cost me 140+rwhp. Messing with the MAF is like toying with someone's Pacemaker, they start breathing hard, gasping for air, eventually falling to the ground.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

why do I need to replace the oil pumb if I install a cam?
    You don't HAVE to swap the oil pump when you do a cam install, but you might as well. Say you don't replace the pump and you get it all back together and then the pump goes bad 3,000 miles later. Then you you have to pull everything back apart to swap the pump. Its the same principle of putting new plugs in while you are doing a header install. You are already there so do it then instead of having to get in there a second time down the road.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Headers and LS6 intake alone makes a huge difference. I just did mine and its night/day difference. I already had all free mods/lid/bellows/trueduals/and SLP 1.85's with Z06 valvesprings. The LS6 intake and headers produced more than all the others combined. Bolt-ons definately first though. If your stock exhaust and intake tract chokes a stock head/cam I'm sure the heads/cam combo will net you the least noticable gains until you free up the breathing a bit.

Thread Information