Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Help with Prothane Tranny Mount

I have a dumb question. Should a Prothane tran mount cause a lot of noise and vibration? I just swapped out my orig GM rubber (94k miles) mount for a Prothane mount. I took it for a drive and holy cow. 45 in 4th makes more vibration and noise. Any hwy speeds makes lots of fun noises and vibrations. I thought I heard you would feel more vibrations and noise, but is it that huge of a diff? It's so bad I am considering a GM rubber replacement, wow. I have a set of Prothane motor mounts, and I doubt I would want any more vibrations and noises.

BTW who has done this change on their A4s? I made the mistake of using a general torque spec from a book and install university. I snapped the stud provided by Prothane. I was set to 75 ft lbs when i snapped it. I couldn't tell you at what ft lbs it gave out. I would estimate somewhere above 60 ft lbs, who knows.

Thankfully it came with two. I put the second one in with 43 ft lbs of torque, same as the cross member bolts, the 15 mm ones. I left a message for tech support asking for their spec. Does any one know what it should be?

Can any one confirm the correct torque specs for these bolts?

13 mm used to hold the tran mount to the tran, 36 ft lbs?

15 mm bolts used to hold the cross member to the body, 43 ft lbs?

center stud used to hold the tran mount to the cross member, OEM not a Prothane???

center stud used to hold the tran mount to the cross member, Proithane not OEM rubber???

Thanks

Kool-Aide

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

BTW, I don't know if this makes a diff. I used a floor jack and a small 2x4 piece of wood (just big enough to fit in the jack circle thing) to support the tranny from just behind the mount. I'm not a tran expert so it's hard for me to describe.

It gave me just the right height to get the jack to touch the part where the that tunnel brace thing mounts to the rear of the tranny. That mount point is lower than the rear tranny part just infront of the yoke coming out the back. The wood made it so I was hitting that lower point and up a couple of inches into the rest of the tranny rear. I never supported it by the yoke or any part that would connect to the drive shaft.

I never saw, heard, or noticed at any time the tranny sag or make any noise. I didn't jack it up, just a couple of 1/4 inch pumps to get it snug and make sure it would walk on me. with a floor jack that far under the car you can't really jake with a large arm movement. It took like five minutes just to get all the way up to the tranny at that speed. Does any one think I broke something? I had the tranny serviced about two months back, clean bill of health minus one worn out mount.

Thanks

Kool-Aide

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Yes my car sounded different and had more vibration after the tranny mount went in. It either softened up over time or you just get used to it.

quick silver
    2005 GTO

its possible to make a difference if your transmount is thicker or taller it will greatly change your drive line angle and could make a vibration

quick silver
    2005 GTO

your transmission mount will won't cause a vibration by having bolts to tight

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Leave it in there and give it some time.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

my biggest concern is i just had a nice tranny service and inspection. I would prefer not to got back so soon for another look see. To be honest i wasn't smart enough to sit the two mounts side by side. considering old one has 94k miles and about what 8 years on it, 8.5.

My memory says the new Prothane is a tad bigger/taller. I just have this fear the vibration is from the drive shaft not being lined up like it used too. I was hoping any one out there with the Prothane mounts would know.

I just hope it will quiet down, cuz i'm getting ready for motor mounts and i don't want to loose my fillings from all the racket.

can any one help with the torque specs? I have a call into Prothane tech support, but I would like to get it right before i drive to work Monday. I know vibrations don't come from tight bolts, but I don't want to snap another one, and i don't want to lose one going down the high way either, thanks.

I'll try the leave it in there approach, but man my wife won't even ride with me right now, lol... Its like riding the spin cycle down the road. Sure the chicks might dig it, but i prefer to keep the fillings in my head for a little while longer.

kool-aide

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

INMY01TA, how much vibration would you say you had? I already had a mild vibration on the old mount. In the wheel, seat, body. Nothing more than what you could get from throwing a wheel weight out of balance.

But now it's like riding the spin cycle, way more than a mild vibe. It's enough to get looks from my wife like what did you f' up this time. I would prefer to avoid the cost of another inspection only to hear the words, well, its a harder stiffer mount. That's what you get. I'd rather take my free LS1 advice, . I like the guys at the tranny shop, but not enough to dump money on nothing.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'm not sure if he used the extra supplied plate with it (I didn't) and if it changed the pinion angle of not but they are noisier in general.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Did i use the extra plate? Um nope, I didn't get a plate. The mount is fairly tall as it is. I think it is too tall.

I have a Prothane mount, no plate. I got a big hunk of solid hard urethane, built in mount plate (no extra plate), two stud bults, some washers, lock washers and nuts.

Since the camaro uses one stud bolt thing to the cross member, i had a spare. it came in handy when i snapped the first one with too much tightening torque, oops. I guess i should have known better but i thought the bolt could hold the same as factory, wrong. Or maybe i shouldn't have used the spec from an online install, oh well. I think that install assumed an OEM replacement.

That's why i asked the torque spec ? while i wait for Prothane tech support. I just don't feel comfortable driving on a bolt that may not be tight enough and fall of one day or worse too tight and snap under the load. You would think 43 ft lbs is not tight, but if that stud bolt is soft like the broken one, i don't want to chance it. Call me paranoid but that's just the way i am.

You can bet your bottom i will be asking lots of questions monday when they open for business. I like to drive safe and stupid in the same car, lol... what a statement. I want to know she can hold it all together when i decide to gun it for no good reason.

thanks for the post. i love my car but if the vibes don't settle over a short period of time, then my wife wont ride with me with out dirty looks, and i'm not talkin naughty with the t-tops off. She would also be pissed if she had to hear me say i have to drop more cash at the shop to have the drive shaft or what ever is worng fixed. I do all my own work so i can have car fun and still support the family, .

like i read on this board before, its my therapy after work when i have a bad day. just relax under the car and let it all melt away, hehehe.

Thanks

kool-aide

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

BTW nice office space avatar, gif, pic, thingy. I swear i have been working inside office space for 3.5 years now....lol......that's why i work on the Z, cuz going stapler postal at work would be wrong.
    Last edited by kool-aide; 08-12-2007 at 04:38 AM.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

in case any one was wondering. The tech at Prothane couldn't look up the torque spec, but tsaid there is no reason the bolt should have not been able to handle the GM spec. He was nice enough to send me a replacement thinking maybe i got a bad bolt.

He also said the tranny mount is made to the correct height. So the vibes I feel I will just have to get used to. All in all I can live with the part considering how much money I saved.

He couldn't answer my last question though. I asked if there was any reason you couldn't use a grade eight hex head bold instead of the stud they send. If any one is still out there listening and would like to answer that would be great. I figure about a 3/4 inch bolt should be good with a washer.

Kool-Aide

...going to the darkside gspfunk's Avatar
    If the bolt is the correct thread/size, there is no reason you couldn't use a grade 8 bolt instead. It will most likely be stronger than what they sent you.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Trannys are going to vibrate after poly mount. You will get used to it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Awhile back I swapped out my OEM trans mount for a poly mount and hated it, Wy too much noise and vibration
    After my motor mounts went bad and tore up two 1LE trans mounts I swapped out the motor mounts to prothanes and installed another poly trans mount. Vibration is still there but much more bearable than before but then again if you have to use the urethane to fix a problem like I had you'll get used to it pretty Quickly.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    Trannys are going to vibrate after poly mount. You will get used to it.
    You are going to pickup more Road Noise anytime you install a Polymount instead of a rubber one. Just wait until you install an aftermarket adjustable torqe arm with a polymount. Sometimes I swear I can hear the axles rotating.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    You are going to pickup more Road Noise anytime you install a Polymount instead of a rubber one. Just wait until you install an aftermarket adjustable torqe arm with a polymount. Sometimes I swear I can hear the axles rotating.
    sweet i got a new poly torque arm bushing and poly motor mounts to go with my poly trans mount i already had. I cant wait to get my car back on the road!

Gold
    1998 Z28

FYI... sorry to bring up an old post - but I had 3 (THREE) bolts snap trying to get to the 75 ft-lbs factory spec on a PROTHANE tranny mount. SAVE SOME TIME AND GO BUY GRADE 8 BOLTS FIRST!! They sent me replacement bolts days later, 2 of which broke... so it's not just "getting a bad bolt" because that's what I initially thought. I was at a 90* angle, perfectly set up when they snapped.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Good advice on getting new bolts, or even Grade 8's to replace the Prothane bolts. I had one snap when I put the Prtothane transmission mount on my 64 Chevelle. It wasn't very tight at all when it snapped.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KiloVictor View Post
    FYI... sorry to bring up an old post - but I had 3 (THREE) bolts snap trying to get to the 75 ft-lbs factory spec on a PROTHANE tranny mount. SAVE SOME TIME AND GO BUY GRADE 8 BOLTS FIRST!! They sent me replacement bolts days later, 2 of which broke... so it's not just "getting a bad bolt" because that's what I initially thought. I was at a 90* angle, perfectly set up when they snapped.
    i agree. i wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. a stop by the hardware store is worth the money picking up grade eight bolts. i just consider it luck that i was able to get the bold out, and the one i have in now didn't snap. they still make good products and the tech said some one else actually makes their bolts, oh well.

Thread Information