Thread: car wont start

tan
    2000 Camaro

car wont start

Hey guys, ive got a 2000 v6 coupe and for the past few weeks ive had all kinds of trouble getting it started. Of course the first thing i did was replace the battery since i hadent replaced it in about 2 years. That didnt help. So then i had my step dad look at it ( he works for chevy ) and he said the starter motor (he had some funny name for it) needed to be replaced. He replaced it for me and it was fine for about 2 days and now its having troubles starting again. In fact it wouldnt start at all today. :-( I do have a 900rms amp hooked up to 2 12" subs but have never had any problems with voltage drop or electrical issues even with them slammin. If anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be, please, help me. Thanks.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would find out what he replaced and post..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

tan
    2000 Camaro

Ok i found out that he replaced the crank sensor. So i have a new battery and new crank sensor and im still having problems starting it. It will start sometimes and sometimes it wont.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Does it crank but not start or does it just act like the battery is dead? What does it do when you try to start it?

tan
    2000 Camaro

No, it does not act like the battery is dead. It does crank, it just wont start.
    Last edited by bdavies11; 08-15-2006 at 10:48 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump prime and have you checked the fuel pressure? I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but I would check to see if you're getting spark and then check to see if you're getting fuel. That would be the first things I would check.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

your fuel pump might be dead. if you repalaced the battey and your starter is working you could have a bad fuel pump.

tan
    2000 Camaro

I dont know if i could tell if i could hear the fuel pump prime. Not sure what it would sound like. Im not the best with mechanics. :-(

98 Formula
    06 duramax

When you turn the key to run but don't start the car you should hear a little buzzing type sound that lasts about 2 seconds coming from the rear of the car. That's your pump priming.

tan
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    When you turn the key to run but don't start the car you should hear a little buzzing type sound that lasts about 2 seconds coming from the rear of the car. That's your pump priming.
    Ok well ill try to listen for that tomorrow. I'm gonna have to have my step dad take it back to the shop if we can get it fired up. I was just woundering if i may have put to much stress on my alternator with my sound system. Could that be an issue or no?

tan
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump prime and have you checked the fuel pressure? I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but I would check to see if you're getting spark and then check to see if you're getting fuel. That would be the first things I would check.
    Also, before he replaced the crank sensor the other day he had me try to start it to see if it was getting a spark and he told me it wasnt. After he replaced it, it fired right up and i drove it home and when i got home , fired it up a few more times just to test it and it was fine. So we thought it was fixed. But now since its still having problems i would have to say no, its probably still not getting a spark. So i guess the next step is to check the fuel pressure.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

when you turn your key too the run position, stick your head out the door and listen, Its kinda like a high pitch whineing, You will know if you hear it or not.
    Hook up a fuel pressue guage and see if your gettin fuel, If you are then check for spark like said above, You can either get a nifty "in line" tester. You hook on end too plug and one end into wire and crank too see if the lil light inside lights up or just pull a plug and try and arc it off of something metallic.
    J

Thread Information