Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Nitrous: Recommendations / Questions

I have 99 Z28 - 6 speed. It has a few bolt-on mods such as a ram air kit, lid, bigger MAF, TB bypass, and a Magnaflow cat-back. I also have tubular LCA's and Moser Axles. The car has 98k miles on it and it is my daily driver.
    I am interested in getting a nitrous kit. I probally just want to run about a 100 shot. I think I would prefer a wet system over a dry system. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know I need colder spark plugs. I am thinking of about a purge system and a window switch (I believe the window switch cuts off the nitrous while shifting gears?). I don't think I need a walbro fuel pump. I don't want to spend a fortune. How much is involved in the installation. I think I will be doing a LS6 intake manifold swap at the same time. Is there a way to have the nitrous come only at full throttle and still cut it between gears? Just because I am thinking it will be alot to be shifting gears, pushing the button on and off, and keeping the car straight.

Am I missing anything? Will I need to retard the timing or get any tuning done? I think my stock fuel pump and injectors should be alright with a 100-125 shot. I plan to mount the bottle in the spare tire location and put wire looms on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Correct, most guys run the NGK TR6 plug. Again you are correct on the window switch and I would highly recommend one. You should be ok on that shot size with the stock fuel system too. Our kits come with a WOT switch so it can only be active at full throttle. Have you advanced your timing any? If you have not there is no need to pull any ignition timing. They are pretty easy to install, if you can swap an intake you'll have no problem installing a nitrous kit.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BowtieFever
    I have 99 Z28 - 6 speed. It has a few bolt-on mods such as a ram air kit, lid, bigger MAF, TB bypass, and a Magnaflow cat-back. I also have tubular LCA's and Moser Axles. The car has 98k miles on it and it is my daily driver.
    I am interested in getting a nitrous kit. I probally just want to run about a 100 shot. I think I would prefer a wet system over a dry system. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know I need colder spark plugs. I am thinking of about a purge system and a window switch (I believe the window switch cuts off the nitrous while shifting gears?). I don't think I need a walbro fuel pump. I don't want to spend a fortune. How much is involved in the installation. I think I will be doing a LS6 intake manifold swap at the same time. Is there a way to have the nitrous come only at full throttle and still cut it between gears? Just because I am thinking it will be alot to be shifting gears, pushing the button on and off, and keeping the car straight.

Am I missing anything? Will I need to retard the timing or get any tuning done? I think my stock fuel pump and injectors should be alright with a 100-125 shot. I plan to mount the bottle in the spare tire location and put wire looms on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

so long as there is nothing wrong with the stock fuel system (bad injector, tiring pump), it will be suffice. i run the entire stock fuel system on both of my cars.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

I've been running a 150 shot on the stock fuel system for over 2 years with no problems. Definately get a window switch, mine triggers the nitrous at 3000 rpms and shuts it off at 5800 rpms.

black
    99 Z28

Check out the spare tire mounting post by me for help with that. It has some pics too. As far as a window switch, if your car is traction-impaired I wouldnt get one because you are gonna hurt more than youll help UNLESS you have really good traction. My car all motor breaks loose around 3000RPM if I punch it. Guess it depends on your car's traction and if you have good tires. I have good tires. Maybe you can calibrate the switch accordingly though and set it to where you know you have traction. Definitely dont wanna shift and push buttons and so forth. Im A4 so I dont worry about all that.

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

If you have a 6 speed and no window switch you are asking for trouble. I've been running a window switch for almost three years now on a 150 wet shot. I will take wheel spin over a blown motor any day. The switch won't hurt you, just set it at an rpm range that works for your car. Remember, with a WOT switch the minute you back of the throttle a hair it will shut off the nitrous.

black
    99 Z28

Well of course in a manual I can see the need for one.

pick up some tr6's, a window switch (which cuts off rpm with a "pill" that stops it at a certain rpm that you decide and it will cut off the nitrous as long as you go past the rpm it is designed to cut off at before the shift) and a WOT switch. go ahead and go with a wet 150 shot. NX makes a really good wet kit.
    D'Agostino Racing.Com
    954-583-8884
    877-DRI-POWER
    Specializing in Late Model GM and Ford Sports Cars

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

What do you think???+

I think I am gonna go with a wet shot of about 100 hp. I will have it activate on WOT. I also would like to mount the bottle in the spare tire location (That should be easy...right?). I will get NGK TR6 sparkplugs. I also want a Window switch (how much are they? Recommendations). Which kit do you think I should get.....they seem very similar, other than the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-L...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by BowtieFever; 04-13-2006 at 11:44 AM.

The first kit is ours, the second is CFN (it has a brass plated nozzle instead of a stainless steel one and uses a lot of brass fittings, ours use anodized aluminum). If you are looking to spend what the zex kit costs take a look at our Brute Force kit. It comes with your choice of solenoid mounting brackets along with your choice of colored hoses and fittings. Here's a link:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/gall...s.php?album=24

The BMN window switch is pretty nice:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=308

860 Performance makes a nice bracket mount so you can install your bottle in the spare tire area:

http://www.860performance.com/Nitrousaccessories.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Matt

I think I am gonna go with a wet shot of about 100 hp. I will have it activate on WOT. I also would like to mount the bottle in the spare tire location (That should be easy...right?). I will get NGK TR6 sparkplugs. I also want a Window switch (how much are they? Recommendations). Which kit do you think I should get.....they seem very similar, other than the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Matt@HSW

Thanks for the information. I think I am going to go with your kit. However, I probally won't be able to order it for a couple weeks b/c money is tight. Is the kit you have listed on Ebay on your website? You mentioned the Brute Force Kit - which is on your website for $399 I think. What's the difference in the two kits?

Once in a while we have kits up on ebay. The brute force kit is $550. It comes with your choice of solenoid brackets from this link:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/gall...s.php?album=24

Along with the color hose & fittings you want:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=274&page=1

It uses our Black Mamba nozzle, the Sudden Impact kits use our Silver Bullitt Wet Nozzle. Last major difference between the kits are the solenoid sizes, the Brute Force kits use larger orifiace solenoids, and the nitrous solenoid does have a 3rd port on it for a purge to be directly connected to it:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=280&page=1

Matt

Thanks for the information. I think I am going to go with your kit. However, I probally won't be able to order it for a couple weeks b/c money is tight. Is the kit you have listed on Ebay on your website? You mentioned the Brute Force Kit - which is on your website for $399 I think. What's the difference in the two kits?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Matt

So, the auction on Ebay is for a Sudden Impack kit...right? Thanks

Yup, correct.

Matt

So, the auction on Ebay is for a Sudden Impack kit...right? Thanks

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I know I'm opening up a new thread

I'm actually ready to buy now...since tax returns are coming in.
    I'm alittle woried about blowing a chunk out of my intake manifold. I believe that occurs with a backfire. What are the pros & cons of a dry setup. I know they are pretty much cheapier and simpler, but are they safer when it comes to the intake? I'm trying to stay in front of my uncle who is gunning to beat me. So far I have run a 13.3 and he has run a 13.9 in his stock 06 GT, but I think he is getting some work done. Also, I plan on only running about a 100 shot. Thanks for the help.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

pros - no fuel going through the intake.

cons - have to rely on the MAF to add fuel through the injectors.

i run wet kits. i have never blown an intake apart and i'm in the 200 shot range.

neither one is really any safer than the other.

Thread Information