Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Upgrading Steering in 93-97 LT1 T/A

So, my steering pretty much sucks. Theres a lot of play, it resists turning from time to time, sometimes its so bad that it feels like I don't even have power steering. The whole system is in shambles...

So it's definitely time for an upgrade, but to be honest with you guys I don't even know where to start with these cars. If some people could give me some advice as to what to do for my car, I would love to hear it.

My goals for the steering is for it to just be nice, smooth steering with good responsiveness. We're not talking autoX quality responsiveness, the car is pretty well driven but is still definitely primarily a drag car so all mods need to be made with that in mind.

The car is a 383 LT1 T/A and had 110,xxx before rebuild and now has 112,xxx.

Any suggestions, please let 'em loose. Like I said, I'm unsure of where to begin with this one! Thanks for any advice.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Rag_Joint/
    still make sure your alignment is good.
    Last edited by Eugenio_SS; 03-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Interesting, this is the second time I have posted this question and I got that exact same answer the first time.

Is there no other way to upgrade the front steering in an F-B other than eliminating the rag-joint?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

unless you have another problem on the car, such as ball-joints, hub, alignment, etc, that you feel in the steering... not really.

i had the same problem with my 97 ta, now i have a 00 ws6. all you have to do is upgrade to an ls1 car steering rack and steering arm. it will make a nice difference and not cost too much. infact i have one left from my old ta the rack and the arm......

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniacal View Post
    So, my steering pretty much sucks. Theres a lot of play, it resists turning from time to time, sometimes its so bad that it feels like I don't even have power steering. The whole system is in shambles...

So it's definitely time for an upgrade, but to be honest with you guys I don't even know where to start with these cars. If some people could give me some advice as to what to do for my car, I would love to hear it.

My goals for the steering is for it to just be nice, smooth steering with good responsiveness. We're not talking autoX quality responsiveness, the car is pretty well driven but is still definitely primarily a drag car so all mods need to be made with that in mind.

The car is a 383 LT1 T/A and had 110,xxx before rebuild and now has 112,xxx.

Any suggestions, please let 'em loose. Like I said, I'm unsure of where to begin with this one! Thanks for any advice.
    This is typical of the LT1 system. It's worn out. Replace it.

Thread Information