anybody know about UTI or Wyotech schools?

Im seriously thinking about trying to get into one of these schools to better myself plus i think it would be a blast. Im 27 yrs old, married with a child and dont want to leave home for 9 months + so Wyotech in PA may be out of the question for now. There was a guy about 5 yrs ago working with me selling lift kits in NC and he was a skater/stoner kid. He ended up leaving here to go to UTI in Mooresville, NC and is now employed with Mercedes Benz prob. making alot more money than im making I havent talked to him since he graduated but thats what they tell me.UTI offers specific classes w/BMW, Mercedez, Toyota, Audi, VW, etc so that would be interesting and the dealership pays for your tuition if you agree to work for them. Just wondering if anybody knows someone that graduated from either place and what kind of money theyre making. Money isnt the main thing its just that im 27 and never have quite figured out what i want to do as a career and this sounds awesome.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

My Son went to UTI PHOENIX, and graduated 4th in his class. He loved it and I was totally impressed with the school. If you go to Phoenix, don't plan on finding a job, let's just say the people from south of the border got them all locked up. My Son doesn't want to work at a dealership, he wants his own buisness. While he saves his money, he's working at Car Quest and he's a tech inspector at Bandimere raceway, here in Denver.

thats good to hear .ill be trying to get in at the NC location hopefully and also plan to eventually start my own business. thanks for the reply

NBM
    '00 Z28

I graduated from UTI in '02. I took the Auto/diesel/indrustrial courses. IMHO, UTI is/was incredible. Wyotech is a good school too. From what I know about it though, there aren't as many manufacturer's programs. The manufacturer's programs are the difference betweeen $12-$13/hour and $15-$25/hour. If you go to a manufacturer's program and do well, there is a good chance you will be hired by a dealership, paid moving expenses, hiring bonus, school loan repayments, money for tools, and other very nice incentives thrown your direction. UTI sets technicians up for success in a very big way.

By the way, I don't mean anything derrogatory about WyoTech. I just don't know as much about them. They could very well be doing the same things.

It's like comparing Harvard and Stanford.

awesome man thanks for the reply. id much rather go to UTI since its only 3 hrs from here. do you know or remember (and it might be diff. on each campus) what kind of time off you had? reason i ask is id have to have some sort of part time job ( to help my wife pay bills) plus id like to be with my family at least on the weekends. im very excited and hope something works out.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Time off... no such thing. When I was going we only got a couple days off for Christmas. We had Thanksgiving off, and I think the day after. There really weren't any other days off. Well, other than weekends.

Each phase was three weeks long. School days were 6.5 hours per day. A minute late was counted as a quarter hour. You are only allowed 7 tardies and 12 hours missed for each phase. But, at no point are you allowed to exceed an average of missing more than 9 hours per phase.

It is a strict school. But, that's exactly why UTI's graduates are so sought after.

sounds great. now all i have to do is wait for my wife to graduate nursing school in May so i can go back to school and she can pay the bills. then hopefully i will get accepted can get some sort of financial aid. strict is good and as long as i can get weekends off thats fine with me. thanks again

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99
    sounds great. now all i have to do is wait for my wife to graduate nursing school in May so i can go back to school and she can pay the bills. then hopefully i will get accepted can get some sort of financial aid. strict is good and as long as i can get weekends off thats fine with me. thanks again
    UTI took care of my Sons school loan, and they'll help you look for work. They have a great support system for the students.

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    When I worked at a Honda dealership a couple years ago I had a friend that had a friend that went to UTI. He told me that the guy now works for BMW and makes like 50k a year and all he does is diagnose problems in one car with his computer diagnostics system and then move on to the next car. That may not be ALL the guy does there but I assume that is the jist of it. Must be nice, 50k is quite a bit for that type of work.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

i went to NADC.(Nashville Auto Diesel College). Took courses in Diesel, Gas, and high performance Gas. I am happy and employed at Caterpillar. Make 14 an hour at the moment and get raises every 90 days. Expensive schooling though. Teh yall are.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

school is the best way to get your foot in the door at a dealership but not absolutely critical. i went to 2 yrs of votech at my local school of technology in my county while still in high school. it was what you make of it, the schooling can get you where you wanna go but its up to you to be any good at it and not everyone is cut out to be a good tech. lots of people go to school and are as dumb as a tree stump. i didnt choose to go to further schooling, such as wyotech or uti. i got a job as a lot guy at the local nissan dealer and got a job as a technician apprentice when the opportunity came. i tried hard but they couldnt provide me with the work i needed to make enough hours. i now work at the same companies ford division and make 13.50 an hour. i do all the used cars and customer work. as far as working at mercedes or bmw those are the places to go if you wanna do a shit load of electrical work. the best money is made at the domestic makes specializing in trannies. those guys make a lot.

Thread Information