Question Kinda confused on whether I should keep my car.

OK here is the deal, I'm 20 years old, in college, and I have a 1995 Camaro Z28 vert. I have owned this car since I was 17, I have spent some money on bolt ons and some other basic things. From a mechanical stand point the car is pretty sound but the body is another story. Nose needs to be replaced, dent in the fender needs to be pulled, rear bumper replaced and a repaint would not hurt either. For around 6-7K I could get the car looking how I want. New rims, full repaint, all dents/dings pulled, all panels aligned, new hood, and some other misc. things. However on the other hand I could sell the car and use that money plus some extra as a down payment for a full size truck or an SUV (thinking a used club cab Titan or an 00-03 Tahoe). The Camaro is starting to show it's age, had the tranny replaced, the top leaks, and now the low oil light is always on. If I keep the car I will always have a project to work on (which isn't a bad thing) but if I go with a newer vehicle I will have a note (which is something I don't have with the Camaro). One of the reasons I want a larger vehicle is because with the extra room I could ride around with friends and when we go out in groups I can bring my vehicle (Camaro is only a 2 seater) instead of leaving my ride some where. I'm not sure what to do, either I'm about to spend some money to either fix my car up or buy something else. But since the Camaro has less than 85K on it I'm having a hard time just throwing a for sale sign on it.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

keep it, since its weathered you wont have to worry about the body and paint too much. sounds like the motor and drivetrain are str8 which is good. keep it till you have the time and money and garage to restore it. if you sell it you will regret it later in life. in the meantime get a 1000$ car for a beater if you need something to drive and cant drive the camaro for some reason.

funny i also know a kid who is 22 that has the same car vert and all who is currently in college

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

defenatly go the "beater" route. You dont' have to have 2 killer cars and if you know you're just gonna drive to meet and then use someone else's wheel's, you'll worry less about the beater being left than the camaro.

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

Show it some TLC. Keep the car, use the money on the car to fix it intead of making a car payment!

white
    2001 camaross

I just bought a 98 s-10 4 banger friday to drive back and forth to college and park the camaro and not have to worry about it, I love it i can park this thing anywhere and not worry about a thing, and if anyone says someting about it i can back it up with the ss
    1. keep the maro and buy a beater to drive.
    2. Let your freinds drive you places you save gas that way.
    -Scott

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thats what I have planned for college, I have a 1994 s-10 4x4 4.3 that does great just wanted somthing nicer, so I got the camaro and kept the s-10 for the winter and for when I go to college, If I go to K-state as planned, there will be 10 times more people on campus than in my entire county now,so the traffic will take some gettin used to. Buy a beater, fix up the camaro later.
    Last edited by Daniel P.; 08-08-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: started ranting and fogot the reason for posting

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Do this. Figure out what you want to buy and how much it'll cost. Tally up the monthly payment and then every month put that money into a savings account. Do that for 6 months and I think you'll see that having the no payment mod is awesome. Then after the 6 months are up take that money and put it towards a beater that gets good gas mileage.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I've done the same. I picked up a little over a week ago a 96 Explorer XLT as my DD so I can keep the miles off the SS. I've had the SS for a year and put 14K+ on it. It now has just under 35k. She's my toy now.

If I was smart a year ago I would have just bought the SS and kept my 95 as my DD. I regret selling that car. I owned it for 6 years and 1/2 the milage. Don't sell the Camaro. If it's paid off keep it, and over time fix her up. You will be happy that you kept it.

The only advantage I can see to keeping the car is that I can always hold off on fixing it if I need to pay for books or something of the sort ... can't exactly hold off on making car payments. With the stall on my car I think a Tahoe (if I'm easy on the pedal) will get about the same in town and a Titan will probably do better on gas then my car. I really like the beater option, I just would not have a place to put the Camaro. Their is no room at the folk's place and if I moved to the dorms then again their would not be any room....I hate not having my own garage.

Thread Information