302 Engine Identification

Would anyone know how it would be possible to find out the origin of a 302 Chevy engine I have. I bought it about 20 years ago and the guy had built it up, ran it in a chevelle for about 20 minutes, blew up his wimpy rear end then pulled the motor back out. He didn't have another car or any more money for it so he sold it to me. I was going to put it in a 70 Camaro but never did. But he also told me something to the effect that it was originally from a special 69 z28, possibly he had said 'yenko' but I think those are extremely rare. How could I now find out where it came from? Through any engine codes stamped on it? It would only be an original block, the heads, manifold, pistons, cam, ect. ect. are all performance. Has stayed on a stand all this time. Any special value if just the block is of a special origin? It is possible he was yanking my chain but would like to find out.
    Thank you

Silverstone Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

yenko's were big blocks...

If it is an original 302 out of a camaro it is indeed a rare engine, they made something called a DZ 302, you can google it as well as I can.

The 302 only came in 67-69 z28s. There are plenty of internet sites with a breakdown of codes. I believe all the blocks have a DZ in them. If it's in good shape it's worth some $$$ especially if it's complete. The motor belongs in a z if it's real.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

67-68 blocks were MO code. Only 69 blocks were DZ code.

Well, I searched around and found some info. Where the code on the front is supposed to be has been removed and from what I can tell it is because it was 'decked'. Can only see very very faint, if anything, numbers, so no help. But the code on the back is almost entirely very clear. It is; 3 70010 From what I have read a 302, 1969, Camaro Z/28 engine casting number is 3970010. Why would the 9 be missing? And yes, I think the 'yenko' may have been injected in my mind over the years, all I remember is him saying it was a special 69 z28 motor. He may have said DZ, dont know but YZ popped in my head when I heard that, so maybe he did say DZ.
    But anyways, I will try and attach a pic. Any further insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Seems very odd that there is a number missing. Perhaps it's some sort of replacement block. If the heads are supposed to be original you can pull the casting numbers off of them and check. 69 z28 had heads specific to them and the codes are available off the internet. The DZ ID should have been on the pad that was ground down. There were some other blocks that had that same code on them some 327 truck blocks I believe. That's basically what a 302 is a 327 with a 283 crank. Check for 4 bolt mains all 327s had 2 bolt mains.

Just found some more numbers in the heads; 3927186 Googled it and found a chart that shows it as a 69 Z/28 head 302 dz
    May not be the original heads, though. I think I remember (memory sucks though) him saying the heads were '202 angle heads'. If that makes any sense.
    Thanks again.

rc74racer, thanks for the reply, forgive the stupidity, but to check for 4 bolt mains I would...

You have to take off the oil pan the main caps are there bolted to the block.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Please refer to this website's article about engine codes used in 1st gen Camaro's: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml

The block casting number for 67 302's & 350's was 3892657; 68 302's & 350's was 3914678. 69 used a variety of blocks of which the most common was 3970010 (the "010" block).

As I stated earlier 67 and 68 blocks were coded "MO". Only 69 blocks were coded DZ. These letters refer to the code stamped into the engine pad. Resurfacing or "decking" the block usually grinds these codes off.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by metal_cd View Post
    Just found some more numbers in the heads; 3927186 Googled it and found a chart that shows it as a 69 Z/28 head 302 dz
    May not be the original heads, though. I think I remember (memory sucks though) him saying the heads were '202 angle heads'. If that makes any sense.
    Thanks again.
    IIRC, 202 angle plug heads were cast in both iron and aluminum. The "202" refers to the use of 2.02" diameter intake valves. I believe the last 3 #'s are 292. Later versions were called "Bow Tie" heads as a Chevy bow tie was cast into them. All were sold "over the counter" and were not used on production vehicles. The "angle" part of the angle plug head refers to the offset angle of the spark plug, which was angled towards the intake valve (I think. It's been 30+ years). Remember, we're talking late 69 early 70's tech here.

Pearl
    1968 Impala Wagon

Wink 302 Engine Identification

Go online and Google MORTEC. This will give you all kinds of engine numbers. Bookmark that site as it comes in handy. I have a 69 DZ302 block that has never had a piston in it and never been bored. It has been stored for about 30 years. It was an "over the counter" block for when the original blew. It's for sale and only should go in a Camaro. It is a 4 bolt main with steel crank. Good luck on the numbers.

Thread Information