Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Cant get oil filter off

Am changing my oil for the first time since doing my pacesetter headers install and with the new headers there I cant seem to get my filter wrench up there to try and spin it off. Ill try doing it by hand after it cools down, I keep burning myself on the trans. Anyone else have similar problems or no?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

lol yd u put it on so tight last time u changed it? stop at autozone and get one of those caps that fits over the end....theres a hole for a 3/8s wrench if its still to tight to unscrew by hand.....last person that had my car had it sooooooooooo freakin tight.....had a hard time even with that piece and the wrench....ppl are dumb

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

get a strap wrench. It uses a woven strap and a rachet. add extension as needed.

or, get a chisel and a hammer and hit up top by the meat of the filter and turn it that way. Youll get it off.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

filters have a way of sticking after 3 to 5000 miles .

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol, nope no problems over here with headers being in the way. If you really dont have a wrench around i like the screwdriver method. Take a punch and tap a small hole in bottom of filter too let oil drain then take a screwdriver and hammer and put the screwdriver through the filter and then turn.
    lol Seems too work on military vehicles very well also
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

this is one thing i could never understand, why people tighten the oil filter so much. turn it till it seats, then about half turn so its nice and snug. as long as its good and snug it aint going anywhere. and its got an o-ring on it so it will not leak. too many paranoid oil changers. jus take ur time. pay attention to what ur doing and tighten it like a normal human being. sometimes when the filter is completely stubborn i get a nice long flat head screwdriver and hit it in with a hammer, then use the leverage to turn it.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Its not that it was to tight, with the new headers it didnt leave me room to get my normal filter wrench in there and the trans was still hot so if i tried to stick my hand up there I ended up burning myself and I didnt wanna wait for it to cool, I just found a big set of channel locks and got it off no problem. Thanks for the help

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

haha sunsetorangess i like that method ....ill use it in the future if i ever have a prob with it

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol works on those stubborn filters, I'v also used big a$$ pipe wrenches on some filters. I guess as long as you get it off your good too go
    J

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I dont play with those filters. Seems places like to really jam em on tight so when I try and do a favor and change someones oil i cant get it off. I use the screwdriver method.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I second the screwdriver method, dont bother draining, just jam that thing in there lol.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

A big set of channel locks works the best.

2000 Camaro Z28

Spend the extra money and buy the K&N filter. On the end you can put a 1" socket to turn it off. Worth the extra money for a filter that doesn't want to come off.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

you must prove your a man by using your hand!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
    Am changing my oil for the first time since doing my pacesetter headers install and with the new headers there I cant seem to get my filter wrench up there to try and spin it off. Ill try doing it by hand after it cools down, I keep burning myself on the trans. Anyone else have similar problems or no?
    That's a good reason for installing a remote filter.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol instail a remote filter for why? Well i guess whatever floats your boat
    J

Artic White
    99 SS

An old fan belt has given me the extra grip needed more than once Goodluck to ya

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by brokenls1 View Post
    An old fan belt has given me the extra grip needed more than once Goodluck to ya
    that's a good idea. I tend to use the screwdriver method, and I hate how much oil ends up running down your arm. I never have a problem getting the ones off of my own cars, but with other people's it's rediculous how tight some places put them on there. I ripped the entire bottom off of a filter using the screwdriver method once after my mom had hers changed at jiffy lube. After considering how tight it was AND that they charged her extra because her 2000 S10 blazer was a 4x4 (wtf!!!) I told her to never go there again

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

why would it being a 4x4 have anything to do with anything? they dont even use lifts at jiffy lube. i really think places like jiffy lube should be outlawed, they are such a disservice to the industry and kill business of reputable places. i used to work at a jiffy lube and ud be surprised how often people thought they do so much more then they do. they polish a turd for you and sell it for full price. no car ever left in under 45 mins when i was there in hs. fuck lots of em never left with any oil. nobody hired there has any experience if they did theyd be at dealers. the ones that do are complete hacks. i would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend jiffy lube to anybody. a truely awful place to take ur car. ur better off with dirty oil.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Agreed 100%. I had a friend that started working at a new one and ittook about 10 minutes for him to be "promoted" because it was obvious he was the only one who had ever seen a drain plug before. Right after training he almost got f'd up because he still had his arm up in a car and one of the dipshits they hired started the car and started driving it out of the shop. Actually, I think that was at a walmart tire and lube express, either way, stay away from both

Thread Information