SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

hydraulic problem?

I have an annoying problem.
    If I get into the rpms my clutch pedal goes to crap. You have to pump it up to get it to work. I dont have to be shifting for the problem to develop although it is worse when shifting hard. It does it in all gears but for example if I am in third just putin along and decide to wind it out and bring it back down (all in third gear) when I go to forth at a normal rpm the pedal goes half way to the floor before the clutch ingages. I have to pump it up. If I drive normal it works fine. I have a new slave, Mcleod line, and master cylinder. Its been bled. The master cylinder is an autoparts special. Does this make a difference? I am also wondering if it could be a pressure plate problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of losing races from this. Thanks for ya'lls time.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jray67 View Post
    I have an annoying problem.
    If I get into the rpms my clutch pedal goes to crap. You have to pump it up to get it to work. I dont have to be shifting for the problem to develop although it is worse when shifting hard. It does it in all gears but for example if I am in third just putin along and decide to wind it out and bring it back down (all in third gear) when I go to forth at a normal rpm the pedal goes half way to the floor before the clutch ingages. I have to pump it up. If I drive normal it works fine. I have a new slave, Mcleod line, and master cylinder. Its been bled. The master cylinder is an autoparts special. Does this make a difference? I am also wondering if it could be a pressure plate problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of losing races from this. Thanks for ya'lls time.
    from what u say u checked i highly doubt its this.. but my friend had that problem in his jeep and he had a leak in his line so he was dropping fluid like no other.. but if u checked all that im sure ur fluid level is fine

SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

thanks for the reply. The fluid level stays fine. I am running out of ideas.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

You state it has been bled. how long did you spend on bleeding it. sounds like u might have air in the lines still.

SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

I tried several times. Finally took it to the dealer, they pressure bled it to flush it and force new fluid in. I still had the problem leaving there so when I got home I popped off the master cylinder and gravity bled the thing and still no luck. There was no play in the master cylinder what so ever when I got done gravity bleeding it and put it back on the car. I am maybe leaning toward a bad pressure plate. I don't know. Its a Spec III

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jray67 View Post
    I tried several times. Finally took it to the dealer, they pressure bled it to flush it and force new fluid in. I still had the problem leaving there so when I got home I popped off the master cylinder and gravity bled the thing and still no luck. There was no play in the master cylinder what so ever when I got done gravity bleeding it and put it back on the car. I am maybe leaning toward a bad pressure plate. I don't know. Its a Spec III
    keep us posted.. im out of ideas.. but gl

SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

I finally put a new clutch in.(Ram Powergrip feels great) I couldn't see any physical damage to the pressure plate, but I did notice the plastic housing the throwout bearing rides in was eat up on the inside. Almost like the plastic housing was spinning with the bearing at times. I think the housing was hanging on the slave shaft until I pumped the pedal to get it back to the pressure plate. Not sure but it is the only thing I could physically see. Either way I have a good clutch pedal again WOOHOO! Thanks for all the replies yall.

Thread Information