Black
    '99 SS

What is this Noise?! (Think of it as a Game)

Not quite sure what it is, but it's most dominate to the passenger front of the engine.

Sounds pretty nasty. My first thought was spun bearing (which would SUCK) but I believe it would be quite a bit louder if it was. (Or not, I could be completely wrong).

Can I get a bit of help from the LS1 Guru(s)?

White
    1998 Trans Am

My guess is a push rod / lifter or if it goes away, maybe a lifter not pumping up... I have a noise like that that comes and goes... I think one of my comp cam lifters is failing...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Sounds like a bent pushrod, broken or damaged rocker or a bad lifter. Pull the valve covers and go from there. Is there a cam in the car or stock?

White
    1998 Trans Am

At least it's not a bearing !!!

Black
    '99 SS

No Shit!

So a couple questions...

1. How long can I go with this problem? (I'm not exactly rolling in cash right now, moving out of old apartment into new one.)

2. Are there any write-ups on fixing this? I'm all kinds of excited to start working on my car.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If it is a pushrod bent, one afternoon to fix. remove plug wires. the coils come off with the valve cover. remove the bolts from rocker shaft & lift the rocker assembly out. pull out push rods & roll the on a flat surface to see if they wobble. You can probably keep driving gently without harming the motor.
    Question for you - Does the noise ever go away, or is it always there ?

Black
    '99 SS

It's always there.
    That video was taken after a 30min drive.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I come from experience: it is a blown lifter. sucks to be you...it will take a LONG weekend and the right tools to fix or about 500-800 cash.

I actually cringed when I listened to your video...brought back som very...very bad memories. Were you free-reving for a long period of time?

1) tear down to expose the valve train by removing coil packs/valve covers. All electronic connections and hoses can be un plugged and moved out of the way.

2) giggle, or better, "rock" each rocker arm. There is minimal play in each, mainly side-to-side, rocking them should be very stiff though. The one(s) that rattle(s) the most will be a "problem spot."

3) just to ensure the others are cheked, "Fake-start" the car by just twisting the key on/off in a fast motion DO NOT START THE CAR!!!!! you just want to get that first "pop" of the engine then kill it. This will move all the valves a bit without sending oil through the whole engine. Repeat step 2.

4) remove the "problem-spot" rocker and rod. Wipe off the rod and roll it on a piece of glass or other perfectly flat surface. If the rod oscilated while rolling-you're in luck, buy a new 7.400 inch rod.

5)If it rolled smoothly, put it back in and do a "rocker-or-lifter" test by putting a "non-problem spot" rocker in place of the "problem-spot" rocker. If the "non-problem" rocker shifts wildly, then you know you have to dig further and replace the lifter. If it doesn't shift wildly, then the original rocker from that spot is broken.

6) To get to the lifter: remove the air intake/manifold cover. BE WEARY OF THE DELICATE "OIL-PRESSURE SENDING UNIT" JUST TO THE BACK-RIGHT OF THE MANIFOLD!!! Also, there are a few electrical connections and hoses back there. I believe there are 10 screws on the top of the manifold-you can unbolt/remove the front 6, the back 4 are too-long to remove, just unscrew them and leave them there. After all hoses and electricals are out of the way-we left the gas line connected, it wasn't a big problem-lift up on the manifold and begin to pull it forward SLOWLY. Inspect any snags that stop you so that you don't rip anything out. Be careful-that's all i can say, and take a breather if you get frustrated.

7) remove the smog pump, the valve train, oil dip [unbolt from manifold then yank it really hard] the exhaust manifold, and header. For ease, remove the bottom header bolts first-some are long, some are short.

8) Inspect the lifter(s) from the "problem spot(s)." In a side-by-side comparison a broken lifter will pour oil out and have a deeped indentation where the push-rod seats.

Good luck, this is a very exhausting/frustrating process that can be done with a lot of patience. DON'T FORGET: you will need to replace the header bolts and the head-gasket with new. New bolts are to be torqued appropriately and must be done in a sequencial order: find a hanes manual for the specs.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The enging reved smooth, so I don't think you have a bent valve. The lifters aren't adjustable. So it's probably a push rod... The stock heads have weak valve springs causing this sort of thing... I bent valves and push rods before upgrading to the comp cams valve trane kit. Good Luck , Bill

Black
    '99 SS

Goddamn third_shift... I hope you're right Bill.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'm leaning towards a lifter is gone. Not a big deal to diagnose. Pull the valve covers and get after it

Black
    '99 SS

Great, thanks for the advice everyone... just one last thing.

If it is a pushrod bent, one afternoon to fix. remove plug wires. the coils come off with the valve cover. remove the bolts from rocker shaft & lift the rocker assembly out. pull out push rods & roll the on a flat surface to see if they wobble.
    Is there a writeup to this online? (preferably with pictures) I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing and if i don't have something showing me step by step I may (will) fuck something up.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i don't know of any articles with pix. Think of it like a puzzle...more like a sandwich...it's a puzzle-sandwich: there is an unbolting order to everything. You just remove shit as you encouter it, one bolt at a time. Keep things layed out seperate, with their appropriate bolts. I was 23 when I dove into my mess, luckily i had a guy with engine knowledge helping me. @ 19 i wouldn't even try; so i can understand your hesitation
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 03-08-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Think of it like a puzzle...more like a sandwhich...it's a puzzle-sandwhich

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i misspelled "sandwich"...there went any credibility if i've ever had any.

Rob 94Hawk 319
    You also misspelled som(e)

Black
    '99 SS

I found this...

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21

It shows me all the way to taking off the rockers just like 2 more questions...

1. Are the pushrods under the rockers?

2. Do I just pull the rods out? Are they screwed in or anything?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Yes, under the rockers, and they then pull straight up and out.

Thread Information