Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Question Need a little help making a few decisions guys...

Hey guys.. I just got this 2000 WS6 T/A about 3 months ago, and I haven't got around to getting a single thing done to it as far as after market other than a drop in K & N lol... Its a 6 spd, but the clutch is bad or the slave, not sure.. It will stick to the floor under heavy load or acceleration.. I already have the LS7/Ls2 set up in the garage along with a slave... I'm going to replace the clutch master also.. But surely that will fix the clutch problem, but here is my other question.. When I got the car it had 106k miles (still runs decent) but it does have a SES light which looks like a passenger side cat.. I am guessing it is clogged up or something, but here in Oklahoma we don't have emissions so no problem there.. I am sure it is really hurting the performance as of right now still on the car and bad.. I have already ordered Pacesetter LT headers without emissions, and block off plates, just waiting for them to get here.. But the only exhaust the car has right now is a flowmaster muffler (previous owner).. I want to go ahead and do the rest of the exhaust while I do headers, I was thinking of the SLP LM1 along with the pacesetters would be a decent sound but loud and intimidating which is always good.. With the LT's and the SLP LM1 what else will I need to complete the exhaust headers back? I guess a Y-Pipe? I have a very knowledgeable exhaust guy here locally is a y-pipe something I should just let him custom make when he put the rest of the exhaust on or what? I could use some input guys.. I am open for anything really. Basically the car is going to get a massive wake-up call here in about a month, we own a custom engine shop in OKC and I will take it up there on some Saturday about 7 o-clock and put it on the lift and just go to work on it lol.. The wake-up call probably won't be done until Sunday but you never know, this is what it is going to be getting all at once

8 NGK TR55IX's (Probably still has original plugs with 106k)
    MSD Wires
    LS7 Clutch
    LS2 Flywheel
    New Clutch Master Cyl
    New Slave Cyl
    LT Pacesetter Headers
    Y-pipe or custom
    SLP LM1 - Unless I find another option
    COMPLETE Emission delete (EGR/AIR/CAT's)
    SLP air lid - As soon as it gets here already ordered

It should be a nice little tune-up for the car.. I am sure it will REALLY open up the performance as far as what it is now which isn't Great. Does anyone have any more things I should go ahead and do while I got it all tore apart? Also as soon as I get about 1,000 miles on the new clutch I am going to throw on a set of MT streets and go to our local 1/4th track.. What time's should I expect to be running? Well I have talked enough, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    - Shane

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

10 views no help? lol just kidding

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    SLP LM1 - Unless I find another option
    Find another option.
    I recommend Magnaflow.

As for the clutch. The clutch itself is probably okay. Your hydraulics aren't though. New slave and do the 'drill mod' to the master line and it should be much better.

As for spark plugs....I don't run the iridium plugs. They are 3-4 times as much as the regular ones and last 2-3 times as long. I will just suffer through the plug change since I have it down under an hour now.

Good luck. Looks like a great starting list.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Find another option.
    I recommend Magnaflow.
    What's going to be the performance difference as far as which is better/louder/meaner?? Which one sounds better just normal everyday driving? Shifting at just under 3,000

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow hands down. It is tame when in the lower RPM's but sounds great when WOT. When I say tame...you still know it is there, but it doesn't wake the neighbors.
    The LM1 will be loud and raspy. I have only met a few that like it. I actually had it with longtubes for a while. Ended up cutting it off it sounded so bad.

Performance wise...they should be about the same.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

As for the clutch. The clutch itself is probably okay. Your hydraulics aren't though. New slave and do the 'drill mod' to the master line and it should be much better.
    I have the thinking of someone who wants to same his self a big hassle later lol.. Your 100% right, I could probably get away without changing the clutch, but I don't want to be dropping the tranny again in a month

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Magnaflow hands down. It is tame when in the lower RPM's but sounds great when WOT. When I say tame...you still know it is there, but it doesn't wake the neighbors.
    The LM1 will be loud and raspy. I have only met a few that like it. I actually had it with longtubes for a while. Ended up cutting it off it sounded so bad.

Performance wise...they should be about the same.
    Thanks, it gives me something to think about since I haven't made my decision on the rest of the exhaust yet... Do you happen to have a AIM or MSN?

Also, what about LM II?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I have true dual exhaust, no cats with edelbrock shorty headers with 2 LM2 mufflers, with the stock tips. As long as the car is at an idle or not under any load below 1600 rpm its tolerable. When you lay into it, its almost deafening both inside the car and out, it drowns out the stereo and the engine and road noise. If you like it very loud go with SLP, if you want to beable to play around on the street and not get any tickets Id find somthing else. With the setup mine has Im told at just a cruise it sounds really bad ass, not to loud with an older muscle car tone, no rasp or crackle, just what Im told. The performance is great, its just another "straight though" pipe, with no restriction. I have a friend with a 2000 SS with no cats y pipe to a 3 inch stainless steel pipe and a LM1 and its sounds good till about 2000 rpm then its just plain terrible loud from about 20-30ft behind it, even following in my car. In my opinion Its too loud to play on the street with.
    Id do some internet searching, like go to streetfire.net (one of my favorite sites) and type in Trans Am and Loudmouth there are alot of soundclips it should help you find the sound you want.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

That's one thing I'm worried about... It being to loud to street race every now and then...

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Anyone else have any ideas? Or suggestions?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    That's one thing I'm worried about... It being to loud to street race every now and then...
    Magnaflow.

Take a listen. This is duals with Magnaflow mufflers on my large cammed 402 LSx.

The second one has a couple un-capped clips, but you can tell which ones those are.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have the SLP LM1 with MAC mids no cats. I love it and get people asking me all the time about what set up I am running. It kinda keeps all the rice from bothering you at red lights aswell!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

magnaflow is what i woud say to its not overly loud so that you get mad you have it its also lifetime warranty and is stainless steel while the slp is not

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I have pacesetter lts with off road y pipe and an adjustable Borla exhaust. sounds great + you can play around with the different size plates. I don't have emissions either so no cats. I would buy the matching y-pipe with your headers like I did. Perfect fit and realitvely cheap. Look to ebay for all your needs. I rarely buy anywhere else. But check for prices of course. Hope that helps.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Thread Information