Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans AM Ram Air

How long do these cars last?

I currently drive a 2000 Ram Air. It has about 83,000 miles on it. I have a six year 100,000 mile extended warranty. I really like this car and want to drive one for many more years. I have owned a 96 formula and 98 TransAm.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell/trade my 2000 and get a car with lower mileage or will these engines/cars last a long time. My 98 had 131,000 when I traded it for the 2000 and it was having the infamous grinding/synchro problems.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

alot depends on youre driving habits.
    if you dont beat the piss out of the car, it will hold up well above 100k
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

With regular maintainance and not extreme abuse 200,000 is possible before freshening up the engine. One of the sponsor has a camaro with 120,000+ miles and pushing more that 10# of boost through it. He's trying to see how much it will take before the engine expires. He's almost running 10's and So far is still going.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12
    Last edited by Killer_bluebird; 09-01-2005 at 03:17 PM.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Ditto to the last two comments. Treat 'em right and they'll easily see 200k.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I got 245k out of my 87 with a 2.8 V6. Sold it to buy the SS. Still ran great when it left

Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    I got 245k out of my 87 with a 2.8 V6. Sold it to buy the SS. Still ran great when it left
    that is good, however the two cars have NOTHING in common other than a name......

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire
    that is good, however the two cars have NOTHING in common other than a name......
    Actually the base frame (skeleton of the cars) hasn't changed much compared to the rest...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

My Brothers 98 SS has over 140k on it. He has put a water pump on it and that is about it other than normal maintenece.

Red
    2001 Z28

Like any car I'm sure maintenance plays an important role Chevy threw a 100K mile warranty in front of me when I complained about Piston Slap.

Damn, sometimes this car sounds like a diesel, and the slap is getting worse. I'm at about 75K and I think I will have to get a shortblock or get this thing honed and new pistons fitted because Chevy won't touch it.

I had to replace all six bearings in the rear-end at about 58k and the roof is bubbling up.
    They are pretty solid cars, and they have a large after market. As long as you don't get into a wreck you could keep this car 30 years. That is if there is gas to run them

I ordered mine with 0 options and I'm glad I did. less stuff to break.

red
    00 camaro ss

my car had 130000 miles on it before i put my race motor together. I took my original engine apart to inspect it before i sold it. Now keep in mind that I beat the hell out of this car everyday of its life, I probably took it to 7000 10 times a day. I ran about 50 tanks of nitrous through it. When I inspected the engine I was absolutely amazed. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. It still had factory hone marks on the cylinder walls. Now most engines that I have taken apart usually have a lip on the cylinder walls.. I am totaly convinced that these engines are bullet proof. oh buy the way the only reason I took the motor out is because I blew the clutch.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah, I know this, but the point was if you take care of something and don't do anything really crazy, it will last a long time. Doesn't really matter if it is an LSx or a toyota pickup truck

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by sscrazy
    my car had 130000 miles on it before i put my race motor together. I took my original engine apart to inspect it before i sold it. Now keep in mind that I beat the hell out of this car everyday of its life, I probably took it to 7000 10 times a day. I ran about 50 tanks of nitrous through it. When I inspected the engine I was absolutely amazed. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. It still had factory hone marks on the cylinder walls. Now most engines that I have taken apart usually have a lip on the cylinder walls.. I am totaly convinced that these engines are bullet proof. oh buy the way the only reason I took the motor out is because I blew the clutch.
    Rev limiter is at 6250 RPM unless you had it modified...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

the ls1 is anvil tough. the only parts that are kinda weak are valvesprings and pushrods. but valve springs are weak in all cars.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote:

Actually the more I thought about this, you are slightly wrong. The 3rd and 4th gens do share some componets, Some of the rear suspension comes to mind; LCA's several bushings, brake parts, etc. There probably is more If I start going through things.......

Red
    2000 Camaro SS 300K

Just a daily driver, but i have 159 K miles on a 00 and have not have any major problems, except for some minor stuff, it runs great. Ive yet to replace the clutch. I do change my oil every 3 K miles like clock work. I dont plan on buying a new car for several years to come so shes going to have to last......lololol

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Wow, that's a lot of driving. Like I wrote earlier, if you take care of these cars, they'll easily see 200k and more.

SmokinJoe
    I just turned 120K on my '98... Never had to do anything to the engine, other than the normal maintenance, oil, plugs, antifreeze, etc.. I'm not easy
    on the thing by any stretch, but she keeps on ticking..

Now, the headlight motors, and window motors... Well, gone thru a few of those...

Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    yeah, I know this, but the point was if you take care of something and don't do anything really crazy, it will last a long time. Doesn't really matter if it is an LSx or a toyota pickup truck
    I see what you mean however the question was in regard to this specific vehicle........maybe I shouldn't have said said that they have nothing in common but relatively speaking they do not have hardly any parts in common there are a select few though.............

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I have 107k on my '99 Z28 and here's what the major componets have been replaced:

Water pump about 300 miles ago due to leaking seal
    Rear axle bearings about 101k, the bearings pitted the stock axles so I got the moser axles.
    Transmission mount around 45k

That's about it. Other than normal trans fluid changes, oil changes, fuel filter changes, coolant change, rear axle fluid change, powersteering fluid change, brake flush and bleed twice.

Now I have a cracked windshield on the upper right corner of the pax side from a road rock
    You couldn't see it from the inside but look about a foot away from it outside and you see it.
    One day later I go to an office to do some maintenance, after I was done, it was raining then sun just came out and felt humid, I got in the car and saw the crack going down into the viewing area about 5" vertically. The temp change with the water on the windshield acted like a magnifying glass to the sun.

And I just switched to a new insurance company just 2 days before because I wasn't happy with the old insurance price for just liability only.
    The new insurance covers liability AND comprehensive for only $200 cheaper than I was paying for with the old one. So I got more coverage for less price and also has $0 glass deductible.

I'll call in a few weeks to get it replaced. I'm just worried about the glass replacement because the stock one is LOF brand. I see most glass companies uses PPG replacement, and I called safelite glass to see what brand they use, they said "safelite"
    I just like to have the same one exactly like the stock one, with the trim around it and everything exactly the same with no difference.

And other than that, I noticed new foregin cars such as Toyota's have a waviness in the middle section of the windshield horziontally, it can be seen on my gf's 2001 toyota camry and her dad's new 2004 or 2005 toyota camry.

Josh_101
    My brother's 95 z28 had 232k on it before it broke down for the first time. Right now its sitting in our yard.

Thread Information