Red
    2001 WS6

Piston Slap? long story

Hey guys kinda got a long post here but anyways i have a 2001 WS6 with 26,000 miles that i bought in July of 2003 with 15,000 miles. When i bought my car it sounded normal and i was very pleased with it and still am. But about a year after i notice a ticking noise after the car warms up. The noise is embarrassing as hell at stop lights and i need it fixed. Any ways i take it to the local dealership to have them look at it June of 06 they do a carb cleaner on it. So i go get the car, drive it home and guess what still does it so i am looking over the invoice and it says ticking noise is NORMAL piston slap. I said this is NORMAL bull shit so i call them and say my car is still ticking and they say well you could bring it back and we can go into the engine and c what we can do. I tell them no because i dont want to put more money into it if they cant fix it. So my question is should i take it to another dealership or what? To tell you the truth money is not an object i have 40k in my savings. I was also thinking about going down to Horsepower Enginerring down in Texas and getting a 434 setup like John Landers has but i wont be able to o that till 2008. So i wanted to get that tick fixed now till i go down there if i even do. Thanks for any input.

flat black
    lesson number one an engine never makes itself better it will only get worse
    lesson 2...piston slap is most prevelent during cold started not after its warm
    3. piston slap does not get worse over time
    4 your pistons are coated on the skirts in teflon and do not have the piston slap issues of the 98-2000's
    5 please explain where the cleaned your carbeurator at
    6 take it to someone who knows how to work on your car, and who knows what they are looking at when they look at an LS...they are not normal engines and you cant diagnose it like it is you have to know what your doing

Red
    2001 WS6

So what your telling me is it may not be piston slap. As for for number 4 i belive they did a carbon soak. They let is soak over night. But anyway there arn't shit for shops around where i live that will know anythinkg about the LS motor. Do you think i should just live with it till next your and go with a forged motor next year. I plan on keeping the beast for a long time and that might be the route to go.

flat black
    so by taking all the material that was surrounding your piston rings you no longer have the sealing surface that you did before...sometimes getting rid of carbon is not a good thing... do a cylinder contribution test and as long as they are all within 90% of eachother youll be fine..a forged motor is not necessary

Red
    2001 WS6

I agree with you a forged motor is not necessary but would be fun and once i start modding i think that would be the route to take but i guess i have awhile to think about it i am in storage till April 1. Anyways thanks for your replys bud.

flat black
    by 90% of each other i mean make sure they are all atleast 90% and within 10% fluctuation from the the cylinder with the most contribution to the one wit hthe least

Thread Information