Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Tranny Issues - I don't know squat

My tranny isn't performing like it used to. I noticed at WOT, it doesn't shift when its suppose to (especially 2-3) (A4: 4L60E). It hits the rev limiter a few times and then finally shifts when it let off a little on the throttle. Under normal driving, the tranny works fine. Shifts fine, doesn't slip, and is still smooth. Another thing is when I manually downshift into a lower gear, my RPM's go down like I am in neutral and rev freely until I hit the RPM that it needs to pull the car. When I used to do this, you could feel the motor wind down when I put it in a lower gear. You could basically 'feel' the torque waiting there to be unleashed) And then the throttle response would be incredible. But now, it feels like its in neutral until a certain RPM. It has barely over 102K miles. What could it be? Could a broken tranny mount cause this abnormal operation? Do you think some much-needed tranny fluid could be the problem?

Dana
    The 3-4 clutches are starting to go away, that is why the 2-3 shift flare at WOT. The falling back to idle when you downshift (no engine braking action) is the overrun clutches (burnt), the sprag not holding (slipping), or the overrun hub is broken.

Black
    1993 5.0 LX

I have a similar situation that I posted, but got no replies. I have to let off the throttle to let it shift otherwise it will start to slip under full throttle near redline. Normal driving shifts fine. The wierd thing though is if I hold it in a gear manually, it will go up to redline with no problems. Must be something electronic.

blue
    2000ss

Sounds like you need a trans very soon If I can help give us a call , Big sale going now. Wish I could tell you something good and technical to fix it but unfortunatley sounds like its well past that stage.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the replies, but that is not what I wanted to hear.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I would first check the tranny fluid level.

Dana
    Ryan99Z28 If you leave the lever in the "D" position, and you get this flare up, but not when you shift it manually, try leaving it in the "OD" position, it should solve this. The lever in the "D" position allows the overrun clutch to come on when the 2-3 shift occurs, and robs some of the 3rd gear clutch apply oil. In manually shifting it, the overrun clutch is on in all 3 positions. In the "OD" position, the overrun clutch does not come on at all. When racing these units, and the computer is setup to command the shifts at the "right" rpm at WOT, then use the "OD" position.

Black
    1993 5.0 LX

Sorry I didn't specify, but it is in "OD" when it acts up. Even if I put it in "D" and drive it it will still do the same thing. It only goes up to redline without any problems if I manually hold it in a gear.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I would first check the tranny fluid level.
    I did check it and it seemed fine. I didn't pay much attention to the level as much as odor and substance. It just looked dirty, like motor oil after 3K miles. It didn't smell like much. I practically had to put it on the end of my nose to get an scent out of it. And it didn't look like it had any debris or anything in it. I'll check again.

Red
    99 TransAm

similar problem

Ok im having the same problem. Car hits the revlimiter from 2 to 3 but only when the car is hot. When it cold it does fine. And also mine no longer slows down when I down shift. I just feels like its in neutral. I used to keep the rpm's up almost like compression braking on an automatic four wheeler. What should I do. Is it tuning or internal?

blue
    2000ss

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    My tranny isn't performing like it used to. I noticed at WOT, it doesn't shift when its suppose to (especially 2-3) (A4: 4L60E). It hits the rev limiter a few times and then finally shifts when it let off a little on the throttle. Under normal driving, the tranny works fine. Shifts fine, doesn't slip, and is still smooth. Another thing is when I manually downshift into a lower gear, my RPM's go down like I am in neutral and rev freely until I hit the RPM that it needs to pull the car. When I used to do this, you could feel the motor wind down when I put it in a lower gear. You could basically 'feel' the torque waiting there to be unleashed) And then the throttle response would be incredible. But now, it feels like its in neutral until a certain RPM. It has barely over 102K miles. What could it be? Could a broken tranny mount cause this abnormal operation? Do you think some much-needed tranny fluid could be the problem?
    In your case i would think you have excessivly worn 3-4 clutch set causing the no 2-3 shift. As for the no engine braking when you downshift, that would be a bad overun clutch or the hub is broken loose from the INPUT sprag, I any case with that number of miles you are looking at needing a transmission soon

Same for you 99sleeper

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

trans issue

my trans, a4, in my 2002 z28 is startin to slip. when i first got it it, the shifts were firm and great, now when i go wot on the highway, itll down shift to 3, then i think it tries to shift to 2nd, and slips bad. also the other day i was goin wot at around 120ish, and then it shifted into 4 and sliped real bad. the car felt like it let out. is there any good suggestions about a complete trans rebuild kit, lookin for a good streetfighter kit, and a shift kit also. should i get a new stall too? im all factory right now, but want to go into the 400+ hp area. any suggestions

Red
    99 TransAm

Ok leaving it in over drive solved my problem. The cars shifts fine like that. It also shifts fine when the car is still cold. I just hate im losing a little take off speed from not being able to down shift.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i beleive that down shifting a A4 a lot will also cause problems so yo may wanna be careful of that.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan99Z28 View Post
    I have a similar situation that I posted, but got no replies. I have to let off the throttle to let it shift otherwise it will start to slip under full throttle near redline. Normal driving shifts fine. The wierd thing though is if I hold it in a gear manually, it will go up to redline with no problems. Must be something electronic.
    I have this same problem. My 3rd and 4th cluch seized together. So I had it rebuilt and they also put in a different clutch pac and shift kit. But now while I am at wide open throttle it bounces off the rev limiter. Never did that before the rebuilt......since the shift kit is in should i get my shift points retuned? Is that causing the problem? I had it done at a reputable shop so shouldn't be a problem there.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Thread Information