DSG
    03 Cobra

Stock rotating assembly H/C lt1?

I have done searches and can not find any solid answers. I have plans to build a 97 lt1 with either an AI 185 or AI 200 heads and cam package with all of the supporting mods:
    AI ported intake
    30 lb inj
    52 or 58mm tb
    1 3/4 LTs + y pipe
    maganaflow catback
    CSR elec water pump
    255lph intank pump
    And many nickel and dime mods
    I was planning on going with a forged rotating assembly or at least a set of SRP pistons, but I have reached the end of my budget. By going into the shortblock, I would have to shell out more money for machine work and balancing on top of the parts.
    I plan on tearing down the engine soon. I will check the cylinders for wear, out of round, and taper. If it looks good I will clean up hone it replace the rings, bearings, and add arp rod bolts.
    I know that the stock pistons are not the strongest, what I would like to know is : Will it last as long as it is kept N/A, has a safe tune without any detonation, and the rpms are kept within a safe limit?
    I have seen quite a few stock lower end heads and cam cars run well into the 11s............ But how long do they do it for?

red
    95 Z28

Just depends on the condition of the bottom end now. To get any more power out of the motor with H/C, you're going to need to rev it higher, which in turn will put more stress on all of the parts. You're also going to have higher cylinder pressures anyway. Kind of a crapshoot. The stock crank will not be a limiting factor, but for safe high rpm operation, the balance of the entire rotating assembly is crucial. When you rebuild the bottom end, I would suggest better pistons and rods. Better to do it once and do it right.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

changing to 4 bolt mains would help with reliability issues winding the motor up to high rpms ..just a thought

red
    95 Z28

At those power levels a 4 bolt main isnt needed IMO. I've built many racing engines, and a few have had 2 bolt mains, and the motors spent their entire racing lives running between 3000-7000rpm. Never a failure due to crank movement or cap failure.

Thread Information