Black
    02 SS #8850

Question Car wash material

After reading many posts / threads on here the general consensus seems to be that the best thing to wash your car with is one of those mitts. Having thought this, I bought one of these from Wal-Mart but it must have been a piece of shit because it left white fibers all over my black car. Can anyone tell me where to get a nice one? Is there something I should look for in buying one? Also, is it better to dry the car with microfiber towels or a chamois? Thanks.

Black
    1999 ls1

The best mit i have used is from adams polishes. Its more of a foam wash mit but it works great also they have a waffle microfiber drying towel and this thing is awesome, it dryes my black car with no streaks at all check it all out at www.adamspolishes.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Several places that specialize in detailing equipment can hook you up but for the time being go buy some 100% cotton made in the USA towels. Tear the tags off and cut the seams off and wash away. Over the years I've raided our bathroom closet so much that I have more "car" towels in the garage than we have bath towels in the closet. Made in the USA is important because it'll be 100% cotton where as the pakistani towels will say 100% but they have a certain amount of blend in them.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Over the years I've raided our bathroom closet so much that I have more "car" towels in the garage than we have bath towels in the closet.
    LOL...........Thats so true.

The wife thought I was the only sick f--k..............
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

NBM
    2000 WS6

Believe it or not I've had good luck with a " Family Dollar" store Chenille wash mit ..#SKU 1513346 ... Very nice.....$2.00.......(at a dollar store ? Never did get that.).....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Couple of tips, you should use 2 buckets when washing your car, one for dipping and one for rinsing. "The Absorber" is a much better product to dry with than a chamois or microfiber towels.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Couple of tips, you should use 2 buckets when washing your car, one for dipping and one for rinsing. "The Absorber" is a much better product to dry with than a chamois or microfiber towels.
    +1 two buckets is the way to go.

Black
    02 SS #8850

I did the 2 bucket method and also used the Absorber. I'll try using a different cloth to wash with and see what comes out. At the risk of being scolded, what are your thoughts on touch-free car washes?

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    I did the 2 bucket method and also used the Absorber. I'll try using a different cloth to wash with and see what comes out. At the risk of being scolded, what are your thoughts on touch-free car washes?
    I just did a touch-free wash last week. I waited an hour in line at the car wash. When It was finished, my car was no longer dirty in some spots, but It was now covered in a thin layer of dirt all over the car from overspray, and the entire bottom 1/3 of the car car still filthy. I have a white car, so any dirt shows. I was so pissed I almost went up to the owner to complain, but after already being there for an hour, all I wanted to do was leave.

Now I remember why I always do it myself.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    I'm an ex-detailer with a black '98 brought brand new and it still looks that way. Get a mitt with a deep knapp to it (I like the synthetic "sheeps wool"), and keep it grit free and soapy and you'll be fine. Don't get the kind with "loops" because it tends to get caught on the wipers, etc. I've never used the new microfiber ones, so I can't comment. I usually get my mitts from Pep Boys/AutoZone. I've also used the "Absorber" from day one...highly reccomended! The owners manual doesn't reccomend automatic car washes.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I agree the Absorber is the way to go for drying and the synthetic sheeps wool with lots of suds is good. I need to get a second bucket now! In the winter and when I don't have time to hand wash I go to the touchless power wash. I get free weekly washes for my car so I normally give them to people during the summer to use. I don't care what happens with my paint now. I want to go custom paint after I get my drive train mods done. It'll be a while though!

Thread Information