Black
    2002 ss Convertible

Common mistakes??

I'm thinking about installing a cam myself and saving a few $'s. What are the common mistakes that most people make when installing camshafts? I read through some of the "how to" instructions online and always wondered how complete are they?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

a big problem is they force the cam in and messes up alot of things..and then something with the lifters.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    a big problem is they force the cam in and messes up alot of things..and then something with the lifters.
    Agreed.
    Make sure you have the lifters hung up so they don't fall when the cam is out.
    Also make sure the cam is well oiled when it goes in. If it hangs up...be patient. Don't force anything. You can tear up cam bearings very easily.

Good valvespring compressor is a must. I found the Crane to work nicely. That SLP piece of shit was more a pain in the ass than it was a help.

Black
    2002 ss Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Agreed.
    Make sure you have the lifters hung up so they don't fall when the cam is out.
    Also make sure the cam is well oiled when it goes in. If it hangs up...be patient. Don't force anything. You can tear up cam bearings very easily.

Good valvespring compressor is a must. I found the Crane to work nicely. That SLP piece of shit was more a pain in the ass than it was a help.
    Thanks for the info. Its getting to the point that SLP needs to improve its entire product line!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jd2002ss View Post
    Thanks for the info. Its getting to the point that SLP needs to improve its entire product line!
    ahh i sorta disagree..their products are overpriced and the customer service sucks but over all i think their parts are good quality and the fits are amazing..you will never hear people complain about fitment issues unless they dont do it right. but yea their tools suck!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

yes dropping a lifter or not installing the cam "straight up" (dot to dot) and forcing it in...

also, depending on the lift of the cam having piston-to-valve (PTV) clearance and grenading the engine when a valve drops in the cylinder...

also, forgetting to upgrade the oil pump for one that flows more PSI to handle the now extra load of the new cam and spinning a cam bearing...

also, forgetting to upgrade valvetrain components such as going to dual springs, titanium retainers, seats and aftermerket pushrods...

the list is plentiful...just take your time, and cover all the bases...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the actual swap is pretty straight forward. ls1howto.com's write up is a good one. A big mistake would be to try to cheap your way around it. Get the supporting parts in place with the money you're saving from the install. Do the oil pump and timing chain along with valve springs and pushrods at the minimum.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

+1 the actual cam swap is a very easy process. Just pull and twist and keep doing so gently until it comes all the way out. I would reccommend staying away from the double roller timing chain setup, its not THAT difficult to install but it did make my timing chain cover fit rather tightly, in fact I cracked it and JB welded it today untl I can get a new one.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Replace the O-ring in the oil pump pickup tube and be careful not to pinch it! Everyone covered everything else. I used the russian roulette method on the lifters. no problems had to push them back down after the cam was installed.

Thread Information