SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Headlight Problem

Hey guys

For some reason, my passenger side headlight has been acting up recently. When I put the headlights on, the drivers side will pop up, but the passenger side won't at all. The actual lights do come on, however. There are no grinding noises or anything like that, so I don't think its stripped gears.

If I go out and move it slightly, or just keep turning them on and off a few times, eventually it will come up no problem. Its basically just intermittent, sometimes its fine sometimes it won't raise up.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

Admiral Biotch

Metallic Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Bad wiring on that side?

black
    2000 trans am ws6

i have had a problem with that kinda stuff before.. bought a new motor, nd that wasnt the problem. it was the wireing harness. u need to check each plug that connects with one of those light things...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    i have had a problem with that kinda stuff before.. bought a new motor, nd that wasnt the problem. it was the wireing harness. u need to check each plug that connects with one of those light things...
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get some electric parts cleaner and see if I can get to the wiring harness. I don't think its the motor either, because if that was the case I don't think it would work at all.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

I think I have an answer to your problem. It happened to me a few months ago and after a lot of searching here and on LS1Tech, I finally hit on the problem.

To fix it, you have to get the headlight to open. I had to crank mine up manually since my headlight stopped coming up on its own entirely. Once you get it up, remove the plastic piece that surrounds the two headlights. after you get it off, look down and behind the headlight assembly for a small metal arm that should have a white plastic tab stuck on the end. Apparently, one of the brackets on the headlight assembly backs into this tab when the headlight flips down. Every time it does this, a groove gets worn into the tab. Eventually, the groove gets deep enough that the motor doesn't seat properly and in order to protect itself, won't move til the problem is corrected.

I read that you can get a small thick rubber hose (maybe a fuel or oil line) and cut off a piece to replace the plastic tab. I was going to go that route when I noticed that the plastic tab can mount foward or backward. Since the back side of my tab was in perfect condition, I simply flipped my tab around and my headlight was back in business. I've heard that some of the tabs can fall off. If that's what you problem is, obviously you'll have to go the rubber hose route.

Good luck,
    Marc

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Hey guys

For some reason, my passenger side headlight has been acting up recently. When I put the headlights on, the drivers side will pop up, but the passenger side won't at all. The actual lights do come on, however. There are no grinding noises or anything like that, so I don't think its stripped gears.

If I go out and move it slightly, or just keep turning them on and off a few times, eventually it will come up no problem. Its basically just intermittent, sometimes its fine sometimes it won't raise up.

Any ideas?? Thanks.
    I'm haveing pretty much exact same problem, if I give it a turn all the way, the passenger side usually will not come up, driver side does, lights come on. if I turn it to the foglight setting, they both usually pop up,(lights don't come on until I turn all th eway) basically I can't use just my foglights without the headlights popping up.

green with blue comeleon
    2000 trans am

does any one know what can cuase this my drive side head light will go up fine but when i turn of the light it goes down and then it keeps trying to go further down tell i pull the fuse or turn it back on if i pull the fuse it will stop and i can put the fuse back and it wont do it any more tell i open and close them agian any ideas ?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0utLawTransAm View Post
    does any one know what can cuase this my drive side head light will go up fine but when i turn of the light it goes down and then it keeps trying to go further down tell i pull the fuse or turn it back on if i pull the fuse it will stop and i can put the fuse back and it wont do it any more tell i open and close them agian any ideas ?
    Sounds like the plastic gear on the headlight is stripped out. When the gear strips, the motor keeps going because it doesn't have an resistance from the headlight being closed. Different issue than the one most of us are having, which is the headlight just not coming up at all.

You can buy a new plastic gear from the dealer, or get an aftermarket replacement made of metal that won't ever strip out

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare View Post
    I think I have an answer to your problem. It happened to me a few months ago and after a lot of searching here and on LS1Tech, I finally hit on the problem.

To fix it, you have to get the headlight to open. I had to crank mine up manually since my headlight stopped coming up on its own entirely. Once you get it up, remove the plastic piece that surrounds the two headlights. after you get it off, look down and behind the headlight assembly for a small metal arm that should have a white plastic tab stuck on the end. Apparently, one of the brackets on the headlight assembly backs into this tab when the headlight flips down. Every time it does this, a groove gets worn into the tab. Eventually, the groove gets deep enough that the motor doesn't seat properly and in order to protect itself, won't move til the problem is corrected.

I read that you can get a small thick rubber hose (maybe a fuel or oil line) and cut off a piece to replace the plastic tab. I was going to go that route when I noticed that the plastic tab can mount foward or backward. Since the back side of my tab was in perfect condition, I simply flipped my tab around and my headlight was back in business. I've heard that some of the tabs can fall off. If that's what you problem is, obviously you'll have to go the rubber hose route.

Good luck,
    Marc

Thanks for the tip Marc. I'll check that out, hopefully thats the issue.

Thread Information