Silver
    1999 Corvette

some electral prob

So At first everything was fine, untill i heard some poping in my speakers then my CD played turned off and i looked out at the dash and the gauges were "sweeping" like when the car is first turned on and the display says "Corvette by Chevy"ect. like i just turned the car on but i was driving...wtf. So i stop and allllll thiese warning lights come on saying "Servivice ABS...Service Traction contrle." like everything. so i go to turn the car off and turn it back on but it wont turn back on....its dead...wont crank or anything.... so i didnt do any thing for a sec then tryed agan and it was fine. turned on no prob. but no the CD player wont work. it drives fine and alll the "warning lights" are gone. So at this point im alittle freaked out. so i get home then to class and no prob. but CD player still wont work. Im thinking maby the alternator, it seems to be charging kinda high at 14.1-14.5 volts and ive heard of when an alternator goes that it will short out stuff with it.
    so what do u guys think?

Black
    1999 Corvette

ok this is what happened to me, i have a 99 vette and the headlights and interior lights would dim and start blinking. So i go get my alternator checked, and they say that is bad, so i go get another brand new one, well it still does it. It doesnt do it all the time just some times. So i think i have a bad ground or maybe what you said about the alternator going out and making things short out?? Sounds like our vette's both have the same issues.....
    oh yeah, so anything over 14 volts is high? Because thats what my old and new alternator charges at. Does yours go up and down? Mine will go from 13.9 to 14.5 then back down and back up.

Silver
    1999 Corvette

ya i think it is charging kinda high. its not redic. or anyhting but apparantly its a sign of an alternator going. at leat thats what im told.

so if the altnator dosent fix it im at a loss.
    im going to bring it in today/tomo.

Black
    1999 Corvette

yeah i put an autozone alternator on it, so maybe i need to put a ac delco ?

Silver
    1999 Corvette

ya def ac delco, im also going to change the battey, its abt time any way.

ive never bought an alternator, how much do u think an AC delco will run?

Black
    1999 Corvette

well the one from autozone was for a belt, with a lifetime warrenty, and it was $230! But you get $50 back with the core charge, so a ac delco will proably be about $250

6.93 at 100.3 mph
    1992 Camaro RS

i've seen this alot and its usually a loose battery cable. usually positive cable. and most of the time its loose because the positive post is leaking acid, which would require replacing the battery. but maybe for you its just a loose cable. tighten it up good and see what happens. you shouldn't be able to move the cable back and forth at all. i'm a service writer/advisor at a chevy dealership since 1996. i dont know alot, but i have seen alot. hope this helps.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 92ZZ3RS
    i've seen this alot and its usually a loose battery cable. usually positive cable. and most of the time its loose because the positive post is leaking acid, which would require replacing the battery. but maybe for you its just a loose cable. tighten it up good and see what happens. you shouldn't be able to move the cable back and forth at all. i'm a service writer/advisor at a chevy dealership since 1996. i dont know alot, but i have seen alot. hope this helps.
    ok thanks a lot, i will try this

Silver
    1999 Corvette

i looked and i do have some battery acid leaking, so ill replace that. also i spoke with a friend of my roomates and he said to pull back the floor matt on the pasenger side and there will be 2 buttons by the door panal (or something like this) one black and one gray and he said to puhs them and it would fix this problem, what is it that he is peaking of?

Silver
    1999 Corvette

btw he works at a GM servive dept. as a mecanic.

Black
    1999 Corvette

I have no ideal. i guess i will look and see....

Silver
    1999 Corvette

i miss spoke he said to make sure the wiring harness clips under the mat are all cliped correctly

Black
    1999 Corvette

ok that makes more since

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

charging at 14.5 is not abnormal. charging of the alternator is usually around 13.5 to 14.5. The regulator keeps the output voltage between this. Any higher than that will boil electrolyte or damage CPU parts.

Thread Information