When is it time to sell your f-body?

I have a 98 WS6, and I really love the car, but the miles are going up very high on it, right now it is at like 111k miles. No engine problems, but stupid things keep breaking, like the windows and other minor things, but it definately adds up after a while when my window track breaks, and then something else breaks in the window as well which i also have to pay for. Do you think it is stupid to hang out to high mileage LS1's, or does this thing still have lots of life left? I have no clue how much i could even get for it at this point, i got it for 13k about 3 years ago, but i realize ill be lucky if i can get half of that at this point. thanks.

Arctic White
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

I've seen a bunch of people that take their LS1s the other side of 200k miles. I, personally, plan on maintaining my car as long as is feasible because I absolutely love it. Who cares what the odometer says? It's still an awesome car.

On the other hand, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I can, so I'm sticking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge View Post
    I've seen a bunch of people that take their LS1s the other side of 200k miles. I, personally, plan on maintaining my car as long as is feasible because I absolutely love it. Who cares what the odometer says? It's still an awesome car.

On the other hand, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I can, so I'm sticking it out.
    well i can afford it right now just because little things are breaking, but im just worried that it is gonna become a timebomb at high mileage. And if i wait too long to sell it and something huge breaks, than at that point there is no way I can afford to repair it, and whatever money i could have gotten from selling it is gone.

red
    02 firebird

my window motor have already broken and im only at 25,000 miles

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

When is it time? When you start thinking it might be time then it probably is. That also depends on how addicted you are to this stuff. I ran my last one up to 182,000 and sold it thinking it was time. . .here I am again

'99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70562

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thats a good queston. I'm going to keep my car, one reason is it's paid for so if the motor blows then I can spend a couple thousand and have a brand new motor making all kinds of power which would still be cheaper than buying another car. Also I know my car, I know what's been replaced, how it's been treated and serviced. You might buy another low mileage car thinking it'll last for a long time and the motor blows because the previous owner abused it and neglected the service schedule.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

well, it's not called car maintainance for nothing. stuff just goes out with age, wear and milage. as a car owner you have to take the bad w/the good...

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post
    well i can afford it right now just because little things are breaking, but im just worried that it is gonna become a timebomb at high mileage. And if i wait too long to sell it and something huge breaks, than at that point there is no way I can afford to repair it, and whatever money i could have gotten from selling it is gone.

Sell it, if you want a serious opinion and not a die hard "never sell it they can live forever" opinion i have gotten rid of mine at around 98k.

I see no reason for a person if they can afford a new car to roll the dice on a high mileage car. If it is running sell it let someone else work with the problems that are going to come with it.

Some people treat their cars like family and do not see how the small cost begin to add up and spend way to much on keeping the car running.

Just think once things like seat motors, stereo, eletrical gremlins, suspension parts break, shit like that starts breaking how much will you have to put in to get it running again, or to sale it?

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    well, it's not called car maintainance for nothing. stuff just goes out with age, wear and milage. as a car owner you have to take the bad w/the good...
    I never had a truck or car break so many things. I understand its a sports car but alot of stuff broke that i never had to replace on other vehicles.

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

hey unless you buy new, your just getting someone elses problems so id say if you like it then keep it, who cares what the miles are life is short get out there and enjoy.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Since most people seem to usually have a set car payment (buy or lease), look at it this way:

If you hold the title of the car and you aren't making payments, are the repairs of the car exceeding what you would be spending for payments if you bought a new(er) car? (Probably best to look at it in six month increments, at least). If repairs are way less and you still love the car, the answer is no. If repairs are comparable to new(er) car payments and you still love the car, then it's going to be a hard decision between loyalty and being realistic about value. If the repairs are well in excess of what payments would be, even if you love the car, I'd say it's time to say goodbye, or accept the fact you have a money pit that you love more than your bottom line. That's something I can accept as long as I really like the car.

Anytime you decide you like another car better, the decision becomes easier.
    That's my advice.

Good luck whatever happens,

John

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    I sold my '95 Z28 and put the money into stock options. In a couple years I'll be able to get a new Z06 if things go as planned.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Now is the best time to start modding the shit out of it!!!!!!!!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I actually thought about selling my Camaro a few months back when I picked up my T/A... but it was my first car.. I bought it the day I got my license... so I'ts been mine for over 9 years... so I decided to keep it... granted its not an LS1, but its still a car that I was thinking of selling.. but love it too much. So like others have said.. its all up to the owner and the allmighty dollar.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

NBM
    99 TA

drive the fucker til the wheels fall off... then tear it down and start over.

if money is really not an issue, keep the LS1 and buy a honda to boot around in as a DD

Thread Information