RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Year One is building the Bandit

If money grew on trees I'd have one in my garage.
    Release Date: 1/4/2007 Image Gallery

Click for larger view

The Bandit Lives!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YearOne and Burt Reynolds Build a New Bandit

Thirty years ago, a relatively low-budget movie starring an ex-Florida State football player, a country singer, a comedic legend and a black-and-gold Trans Am swept the country. Smokey & The Bandit played a huge role in a number of areas, not the least of which were catapulting Burt Reynolds to stardom and resulting in record-breaking sales for Pontiac's Trans Am.

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of this milestone movie, and the car that powered it, YearOne and Burt Reynolds are teaming up to build a very limited number of special Trans Ams - all black and gold, of course. Instead of simply restoring original cars to their original specification, the YearOne Bandit cars will be completely modernized both stylistically and mechanically.

The YearOne design team, working with input from Burt Reynolds, has come up with a look that both pays its respects to the original while updating key areas. Subtle body mods will include a cleaner integration of the iconic wheel flares into the body, flush-mounted glass, updated lighting and a modernized graphic package.

Mechanically, the cars will be available in three different stages, ranging from high-performance to mind-blowing. Power will include traditional Pontiac V8s ranging in output from 400+ to 700+, along with a modern LS7 (from the current Z06 Corvette) making 600+ horsepower. Modern overdrive transmissions will be offered, as will various suspension variations.

More details on the cars will be made available soon, along with images of the prototypes and specifics on powertrains, options and pricing. But we wanted to give you a little teaser about the project here. Stay tuned for more info!

YearOne Trans Am Press Release

For Immediate Release

Without a doubt, one of the most iconic cars of the ‘70s was a black and gold Pontiac Trans Am. Thanks to the release of Smokey and the Bandit in 1977, a whole generation of kids (and not just a few adults) had dreams of screaming down the highways wearing a cowboy hat and staying one step ahead of the law with his CB radio. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of Smokey and the Bandit, YearOne is teaming up with Burt Reynolds to build a limited run of the ’77 and ’79 Bandit Trans Am. Subtle cosmetic upgrades will bring fit and finish to modern standards, while three different packages offer performance The Bandit could only dream of.

BAN1 will be a restored hard top or T-top body, updated with flush mounted front and rear glass, flush-fitting fender flairs, projector headlights and LED taillights. Interior upgrades include performance bucket seats and door panels with custom Bandit inserts, a custom instrument cluster with race-inspired gauges, electronic rear view mirror, factory console and, of course, an optional CB radio with antenna.

The suspension will employ bolt-on sub frame connectors, tubular upper control arms, upgraded bushings to firm up the body, and high performance coil and leaf springs. Powering the car will be a 450hp Pontiac 455, backed by a 5-speed manual or automatic overdrive trans, heavy duty 10-bolt rear with 3.42 gears, and a heavy duty aluminum radiator. Custom 18x9 “Snowflake” billet wheels wear 275/35/18 BFG tires, stopped by 4-wheel disc brakes with 12-inch rotors up front.

The BAN2 package builds on the basic platform. Interior appointments include race-inspired pedals, an upgraded console with integrated navigation system, upgraded stereo and a 4-point roll bar.

Handling is improved with a tubular front subframe, tubular upper and lower control arms, integrated subframe connectors, front coil-over shocks, and larger 13-inch front rotors. The rear end is a stout 12-bolt, with 3.42 or 3.73 gearing, and mini tubs are added to clear the 18x11 rear wheels fitted with 335/35/18 BFG tires. Powering the BAN2 will be your choice of an aluminum head 455 putting out 550hp, or a fuel injected 550hp GM LS-based engine, again backed by either a 5-speed or automatic overdrive.

Building off of the BAN2, the BAN3 takes everything several steps further. The interior is fitted with a 6-point roll bar, optional 5-point racing harnesses and a rear seat storage area, while the body receives competition driving lights and special badging.

Engine options are either a 496ci all aluminum Pontiac 455, or LS-based engine, both rated at 700hp, backed by a 5-speed manual trans only, coupled to the engine through a hydraulic clutch. Out back is a 12-bolt axle with 3.73 gears hung from a four link suspension with track bar. Coil over shocks are found at all four corners, with 6-piston calipers and 14-inch rotors up front. Rolling stock is likewise competition-inspired; 18x10 wheels with 285/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sports up front, while huge 19x12 rears fitted with 345/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sports.

dkm

This page was generated in 0.1484 seconds.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i want pics so bad!

Blue
    1999 Formula

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    I WANT I WANT
    but really is this a Joke or is it really gunna happen cause i woul LOVE to get one oh plz tell me this aint a joke. any one know anything more about these cars?

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

i didnt look real hard but i didnt see anything about it on there site

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

have you guys ever heard of Google?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/19/b...s-bandit-t-as/

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    have you guys ever heard of Google?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/19/b...s-bandit-t-as/
    google whats that? J/K but yeah i just found it the same time you posted

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

It's true guys. In the July issue of HPP(High Performance Pontiac) page 12 Tribal news. The car is like WOW, and the combinations that you can get should satisfy the most power hungery pontiac guy there is. YearOne/Burt Reynolds Edition starts as a real TransAm vin. The article say that to contact them by phone or at yearone.com. They are going to use the 77-79 TransAm.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

check is in the mail for mine

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

im goin sale my left nut to buy 1 of these

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yep.. can't wait to see it at the show! I wanna say they said somethign about raffeling one off atht e show.. but I dont remember for sure.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Green
    1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

year one sold a blackbird i really wanted... i feel like wasted life since i couldn't buy this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSEU...QQcmdZViewItem

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

This months HotRod magazine has a small pic, or it can be found under Year One's web site in the news section. I hope they have one at this years Sema show. If they do I'm going to get plenty of pics and I'll post them. Knowing the kind of work year one does, the car will be awsome. But very expensive. I'd still like to have one in any phase 1, 2, or 3. I tried to copy the pic, but it wouldn't let me.

Thread Information