Beast

I don't recommend cutting out beneath the filter!

About 1 year ago I read a thread about cutting our the plastic beneath the filter to get better throttle response and horsepower. It's kind of like a free fast toy's ram air kit.. just minus the sheetmetal part. It seemed logical, and there were at least 10 guys on the thread preaching about how great it was... so I figured what the heck.

Well, 1 year later I hate it! I now have a long commute, mostly on the interstate, and I have to clean my K&N filter at LEAST every other month, and even then it's so nasty that it kills me! It sucks up so much road grime and grass, and whatever else is floating around on the road. I'm now looking for an unmolested replacement piece to fix this mistake.

Oh, and no, I didn't notice a difference in horsepower or throttle response! For once I think GM did their homework, and the stock configuration flows plenty of air for a basic bolt on car.

Mark

Black
    99 SS

so its just dirt man, and only cleaning it once a month? thats nothing! i wash my car like every 3 days. so its not bad.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

You clean your filter every 3 days Zboner? That's overkill.

He's not talking about how often he washes the car itself.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Hmmmm let's see.... increased airflow but gosh darnit there's more dirt too! I myself will take the tradeoff & clean my air filter every month or 2 as necessary.

Beast
    The point is that I don't care how great a filter is, the more crap you subject it too, the more crap is gonna get by... it's just not good for the car. Especially here in Texas where every other road is under construction. This month it looked like you had poured motor oil all over the filter. It's just not worth it.

My .02

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

so when you drive it everyday just fix up a block off plate to cover the opening to keep it cleaner if this is what you are complaining about. Of course the filter is going to get dirtier faster, but you should have known that before you cut it....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Attach a screen to cover the opening. This will prevent the larger junk from getting to the filter.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    so when you drive it everyday just fix up a block off plate to cover the opening to keep it cleaner if this is what you are complaining about. Of course the filter is going to get dirtier faster, but you should have known that before you cut it....
    I agree. I'm working on it.

Thanks.

Thread Information