Thread: Crash Diet

mongrel2302

Crash Diet

I recently traded my 98 Trans-Am for a 2004 GTO. Love the ride and performance, but it feels kinda heavy. Doesn't seem to be much aftermarket ideas for weight savings. Anyone got any ideas?

spice red metallic
    2006 GTO

You could install the SLP skidplate to save 12 lbs. If money isn't an object a carbonfiber driveshaft would save weight and rotational weight. Another idea would be an aftermarket fiberglass hood or if available carbonfiber hood.

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Weight reduction is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel2302 View Post
    I recently traded my 98 Trans-Am for a 2004 GTO. Love the ride and performance, but it feels kinda heavy. Doesn't seem to be much aftermarket ideas for weight savings. Anyone got any ideas?
    Hey Mongrel, Unfortunately aside from ripping out your seats, Your choices are few but you can switch out your heavy skid plate for an aftermarket one although I don't think it is that cost effective. One Mod. that is cost effective is some aftermarket catbacks that are lighter than stock and some hp gains as well.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Take off the damn trailer hitch that came with it....you'll see the big ass brace right under the plastic cover in the rear...damn thing weighs a ton....throw that away...pull off the slid plate...that weighs a ton....

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I was wondering wtf those studs were for. Anyway, I bought mine used and it was already off. Good to know though.

Also, do you know @ what aftermrkt. skid plates are going for nowadays and who.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

http://www.rksport.com/main/part_det...did=10&catid=3
    http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1381
    I have fiberglass hood/front fenders....removed all the linings and undercarrige bullshit from the trunk....of course the skidplate/trailer hitch bracket/cut off all the excess steel bracing for "crash ratings" bullshit...and replaced with frame connectors....exhaust manifold replaced with Stainless headers...intake replaced with poly FAST intake....of course the spare tire and jack and stuff/relocated the battery to the trunk and got rid of all the pan and tie down steel stuff that came with the factory battery and replaced the heavy ass factory battery with a sealed NAPA gel battery/Factory exhaust being replaced all the way back was a big weight loss/2 piece steel driveshaft replaced with a one piece aluminum driveshaft/replaced the rear shocks and springs with Koni's and Pedder drag springs....we did weigh the factory stuff and the new stuff...Koni's and Pedders saved us like 6lbs/
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-10-2006 at 05:29 AM.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Take off the damn trailer hitch that came with it....you'll see the big ass brace right under the plastic cover in the rear...damn thing weighs a ton....throw that away...pull off the slid plate...that weighs a ton....
    I used that damn thing for a boat anchor, for my duck hunting boat. Serious

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hear ya man
    After the fire we replaced the front end...these folks are very reasonable and very good to work with.....you wanna weigh less than a Vette?...these are the guys that can make that happen....
    http://www.compositeshop.com/Product...ce_bodies.html

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

that;d be sick to weigh less than a vette

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fun too.
    2006 Vette ( Not the Z06) weighs 3200lbs and puts down about 350 to the wheels.
    My Goat weighs about 3500lbs now and puts down over 500 to the wheels.
    Bring it on preppy boys

Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

Sarge, if you Goat weighs 3500 lbs. and has 500 HP, your power to weight ratio is 7.0 which beats all stock American and Euro cars expect only the Z06 (6.20) and the Mercedes McLaren (6.05) which is amazing. I am curious about one thing Sarge, how do you know your Goat weights 3500 lbs.?

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find the true curb weight for a stock 05 GTO with A4. GM estimated curb weight is 3725 but GM lists the same weight for both M6 and A4 and for both 04 GTO's and 05 GTO's even though the 04 has (I think) the lighter LS1 versus the heavier LS2 for the 05 GTO.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

"If" my ass!
    We weighed her on the truck scales here locally and she weighed 3540...without my big ass in her! Like I said we have done quite alot to her....the fire saved me a shitload...those fenders weighed quite alot by themselves....just cuttin all the braces/trailor hitch/skid plate off saved around 100lbs......exhaust/hood/"crap" you betcha it adds up quick....I'm still trying to hunt down a Z06....havent found one yet.....and this weight was with the Iron Block Stroker motor in....and the 4L65E....
    And by the way....we just drove in to one of those trooper truck weigh stations while they were pulling trucks off the interstate and ask....Cop said sure!

Thread Information