Ratdaddy07

worth gwtting MSD coils?

Is it worth going with MSD ignition coils or will there be no difference than just getting the GM replacement part? Narrowed down my problen to an ignition coil but think I might as well replace all 8 or I may have the same problem again soon. Anyone have experience with this? Should I even worry about replacing all 8 or just the bad one? I have 123K miles on the car.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

well compare the price to GM, if there's not much of a difference i'd get the MSD's, they are better but not enought to replace 8 perfectly fine GM ones, if yours are on the way out and the GM replacements are like 10-20 dollars cheaper, get the MSD's

i know the msd's are like 60 bucks each

Ratdaddy07
    Yeah like 600 for 8 when the GM's are 350.

I replaced all 8 coils on my 98 vette with the MSD's---Can't really tell if there is any differance and as far as the dyno goes,i made several changes at once so not a true test--BUT--- they look really cool !!!!!!!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I bought a new set of 8 for a little less than $470 delivered to my door (not a normal price, obviously, I just found a good deal from a dealer on eBay). As far as a difference in performance goes, I'd say I noticed better performance at high RPMs. The stockers seemed to run out of energy somewhat at high RPMs. However, I didn't do a dyno comparison on the coil change only, since I did a few other mods shortly after replacing the coils and then tested.

Since you've got 123k on the stockers, I'd replace them all, whether you go with MSDs or just stock replacements.

Navy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    well compare the price to GM, if there's not much of a difference i'd get the MSD's, they are better but not enought to replace 8 perfectly fine GM ones, if yours are on the way out and the GM replacements are like 10-20 dollars cheaper, get the MSD's

i know the msd's are like 60 bucks each
    More like 90 bucks each on speed inc.

They have been shown to be a 10hp 15tq gain on stock/bolt-on cars but not worth 800bucks.

That was only one dyno though.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

IMO they are a waste of money unless you are into the "bling" factor. There are plenty of guys deep in the 9s running factory coils, so I would spend my money elsewhere...

flat black
    waste...MSD Multiple spark discharge...this only helps if you have a problem lighting your air/fuel mixture as it sends multiple sparks to the plugs but only up to i think 2500 RPM then its just a single spark just like a regular coil... think of it this way on avg it only takes 15-25Kv to fire the plugs the factory coils come capable of 150kv so why would you need more than that? the reason for the GM coil having soo much power is that they allow for wear as the coil gets older its strength weakens, plus the gap in the plugs grow so you need more voltage. my coils have 130k mi on them and they still run strong

Ratdaddy07
    GM then thanks, if it don't make it faster I don't waste my money on it.

Thread Information