Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Inline Fuel Pump question

Ok I want to buy a walbro inline fuel pump that says it supports applications upward of 600rwhp. My question is how does this work in conjunction with your stock pump? Will the stock pump also need modification? I was thinking about buying the hardwire kit for the fuel pump since that will boost pressure. Would I benefit more if I stuck that on the stock up and let the inline just do its job? This question was brought to my attention on the nitrous forum and I had never really thought about it prior to that. Any info wouldbe appreciated. thanks

White
    98 Trans AM

I always question this as well. How does a higher output pump work with the stock pump in front of it. If the stock can only push so much out then isn't the second pump going to be held back by the first.?

From what I have heard and it make sense though is that it is better to get a new in tank high output pump. The pumps use the gas to help cool them whereas an external will get hotter and probably die sooner.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

hopefully someone will have some input

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

So I guess I have an answer for my own question now. From what I have been told the AMOUNT of fuel is never the issue, just the amount of pressure that the pump can build. A guy used the example for me. Its like a water hose, the water can always flow through it but the pressure might not me good enough to do anything with but if you through a pump in there to help the same amount of water build pressure then it can use the same amount of water but get there much faster and with more pressure. The inline just pretty much ensures that the pressure never drops below a safe level and the stocker has more than enough capability to just let fuel flow.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

The inline is just a "booster" to keep fuel pressure from dropping. You pretty much answered your own question above.
    A bigger in-tank pump would be best, but a inline is cheap insurance with the nitrous. I have an inline-pump and it works great. It will make some noise, though, so see if you can get a sound-bite first.

yeah, I have the Zex fuel pump boost. It adds to the initial whir when the pressure is primed up but I never hear it after that. Hope it really does what I paid the money for.

Thread Information