Thread: rough idle

blue/green chameleon
    98 formula

rough idle

my 98 a4 has had a rough idle for a while but its getting worse and its not throwing any codes.It has new plugs & wires,new walbro fuel pump and a new fuel filter.
    It seems to run decent on thru the rpm's but to me if feels like its lacking a little power and it has a real rough idle.you can feel the car shaking when its sitting still.
    Im running TR6 plugs gapped to .38, it has a slp lid,descreened maf,cat back,tb bypass and other than that it is stock except for the gears,gas and tune.
    Anybody have any ideas?? Im nervous that its a fuel problem because Ive been spraying the house down and Im scared Ive been leaning it out bad.Ive stopped spraying it till I fix the problem but I swapped my plugs today and they all looked the same but they were all white with a greenish tint

I was told maybe the egr but RWTD deleted that whe they done the tune I just havent gotten around to buying the block off plates yet.Could it still cause a problem?

white
    2002 z28

did you try switching to the tr5 plugs with stock gap, and block off plates will definily help i think if there is none.

my winter car was having the same problem, it was like it had half the power aand had a lag when pressed the pedel. after changing the plugs to a lil hotter it was better. but not fixed. then after playing around under the hood i started messing with the egr and line to intake. i noticed a line that was a 90 degre and made it shorter. ran better but ended blocking it off completely. runs like a champ now hope this help a lil

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Bunch of questions.
    How is your EGR set up now? Is it still intact and they just removed the codes?
    How long has your MAF been descreened and was it done prior to the tune? Was the AFR set for the setup you're currently running? Did they set it up for N2O?
    Really to get to the bottom of your problem you're gonna need it logged to see exactly what's going on. I definitely wouldn't beat on it until you know what your AFR is on and off the spray.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

great white, you blocked off the egr and that fixed the rough idle? Ive got the same issue and just want to know if that will throw a code if I buy the blockoff plate. I have new Denso plugs and that helped like you said but it still shudders a weee bit at idle and the power seems to be a bit lacking. This is the most promising fix Ive heard yet so a bit more info on what you did would be appreciated.
    Thanks

blue/green chameleon
    98 formula

everything was done before the tune.The maf was already descreened when I bought the car.I tried going to a warmer plug and it didnt change anything.
    All of the EGR is still intac they just removed the codes.Its tuned to run a 175 shot.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

I had the same problem with rough idle and my egr was deleted so I went to the shop today and they said it was a misfire on #5 ,you could hear it ticking.killed the engine and pushed the plug wire back on and has been fine ever since.Purrs like a cat now.they said that the wires on these gen 3 have a real bad habit of popping loose from time to time.

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

[QUOTE=bottlefed98;835723]my 98 a4 has had a rough idle for a while but its getting worse and its not throwing any codes.It has new plugs & wires,new walbro fuel pump and a new fuel filter.
    It seems to run decent on thru the rpm's but to me if feels like its lacking a little power and it has a real rough idle.you can feel the car shaking...

Try gunning the crud out of it. Carbon buildup may be the problem!

CAMARO. TRANS AM.
    TWO CARS, ONE MISSION............
    D O M I N A N C E !

white
    2002 z28

not to dis your tuner, but it could be that, but like someone said above it might be a miss fire also.

just to let you know also these cars tend to have a rough idel from the get-go. mine jumps from 550-620 rpms and only have 35,000 miles.

white
    2002 z28

there is also a long shot for the computer to learn your mods that you have its some kind of exercise- like run for 5 min- turn off run for 5 mins at some rpm but im not sure about it, never done that but if you do a search on it maybe!!!

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Don't rule out the possibility of one or more injectors partially clogged or having a poor spray pattern. "Pour in the tank" injector cleaners won't do much for a badly clogged injector, check out the injector cleaning kit we sell that uses the cans of professional cleaner. http://iecoklahoma.com

Thread Information