Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Whats a good cam only choice for stock ls1?

im looking at a cam for my 99z. but with so many choices out there and what not, im completly lost as to what would be a good choice to do...that last thing i want is a cam i wont ever be able to use...im hearing alot about the magic stick3 and 4's and the tsp torquers but im thinking thats gonna be too much cam for me...the car is regularly driven, when its nice outside that is, so i dont wanna lose a butt load on the reliablity, or drivebility, and dont wanna decrease the fuel mileage a ton either...im just looking to do a cam only right now,and do understand that i need to upgrade the valve train also. but what are some of your recomendations for me? id like a little bit more grunt off the line, and i will be doing 1/4 mile more this spring/summer, so yeah, what are your recomendations? thanks in advance guys

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the 228/228 is a great all around cam.
    you need to have headers before a cam and also if your car is an auto, you need a stall to get the full benfits of the cam.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

what will a stall do for me? and why will i need headers before a cam install? and who makes a 228/228? im seeing videos of the trex cams too and love the sound that they have, but dont know on specs for them

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Trex is a large cam like the Magic sticks. TSP makes a 228r cam. A stall will put you into your powerband quicker. A stall alone will shave .5 off your E.T.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

whats the disadvantages of a large cam? and what is the 228r considered? a mild cam or what?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Any cam in the lower 230 duration or under is considered mild and good for daily driving. They are a little tamer than the bigger cams, wont shake you to death at idle but can still have a good power curve. With a bigger cam you will have more HP but it may be rough to drive, then again nowadays some tuners can tame any cam. Just depends on how well they know thier stuff. And it depends on your preferences some people dont mind a rough a$# idle while others would like theirs a little smoother still lopey but not shaking the whole car as I stated before. All in what you want from your car really.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

so with the 228r ill still have a good lopey idle, good power, and good fuel mileage? what upgrades to the valve train are required for this 228r?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Since your an auto I would go with the 114LSA (228/228 .588/.588 114LSA) as it is a little smoother, actually easier to tune as well for the A4 cars. It will not chop as much as a 112 LSA cam or a bigger cam but it definitely will not sound stock. it will have the muscle sound you are looking for trust me. Powerband is very nice for that cam as I understand it. Fuel mileage......well it depends on how well you can keep your foot out of it.lol. as far as valve train You will need to upgrade your springs to higher lift spring and get chromoly hardened push rods. I would recommend getting these upgraded at the same time just for added protection while they are in there working: LS2 timing chain or something similar.
    Ported LS6 oil pump.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

If you got the TSP 228R cam and a 3200-3500 stall you would definitely be pleased. Yet you would still be able to drive it daily.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

ok, so when i order the cam i get the tsp 228r with the 114lsa? what lift springs will i need? and what would happen if i got a different lsa?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    ok, so when i order the cam i get the tsp 228r with the 114lsa? what lift springs will i need? and what would happen if i got a different lsa?
    well you want to get a spring that will meet your needs, the lift on that cam is .588 so you need a spring that will go higher than that. As far as lsa it will affect your power curve and how rough your idle is. with the A4 tranny it would be better to have a 114 LSA so your idle is not so rough. go to LS1sounds.com to hear some sound clips and see what their LSA is on their cam in the description you will see that a 114 will still sound mean. Also go to texas-speed.com and call them they are good to deal with and will help you pick out a spring kit and everything else you want or need.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

alright man. thanks for all your help. im feeling confident about a decision on a cam now. that means alot to me

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

ok. another quick question...how often do the valves need checked with this 228r? im hearing with other cams you have to check them every 20k or so...but those are on bigger cams...whats a good rule of thumb on checking them on a mild cam?

NBM
    2002 Z28

I have a TSP 228R 112lsa in my car , and a 3400 stall converter, 3.42 gears. My car drives great, and has a nice lope to it. There are other set-ups that will produce nice results, just take your time and decide what will work for you.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I did lots of research and phone calling before I decided on the cam for my car. After talking with just about everyone I knew and every shop that I respected I went with something fairly mild because it fit the concept of power I wanted and fit into my daily driver lifestyle. I ended up with a VRX3 which is 226/228 .585/.588 with a 112 lsa.

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

what about the TR "cheater" cam, then you would not "need" headers so I have heard. You could save that header money for the converter.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

cam only? with out heads you won't see much more than 30 rwhp out of most cams...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

He's right.... That cam is going to be opening and closing thoes valves quicker then stock and is gunna need some breathing room.... Go with the pacesetter headers.... Relatively cheap, coated and they run well... I have them on my Head and Cam car and i'm putting down mid 400's hp and tq and they hold up fine.... But that cam in gunna need to breathe not to mention the headers will help you give some extra growl to the cam hehe

black

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    what will a stall do for me? and why will i need headers before a cam install? and who makes a 228/228? im seeing videos of the trex cams too and love the sound that they have, but dont know on specs for them
    you need headers because of the extra exhaust flow of the cam. without headers, all you do is choke the exhaust and any gains from a cam swap wont be half as much if there was headers

black

do the stall first. best gains to be made from that mod only for an automatic car.
    then do headers and then cam kit.

Thread Information